If the CCP invades, will you fight?

Yeah but how long can it be stored in room temperature?

Up to 25 years: How freeze drying works | Harvest Right™ | Home Freeze Dryers | Freeze Dried Food Storage

:scream:

A freeze dryer is expensive as shit and you have to use it properly.

Better to buy MREs or canned food. Those don’t need freeze drying.

Also keep in mind if things get that bad where supplies are cut off, you got bigger things to worry about than canned food.

I saw a picture of the gun the indigenous people use for hunting. They look dangerous as hell. I bet I can make something much safer, more accurate. But they tell me it’s because the government won’t let them have anything decent.

In many conflicts, civilians are asked (either by their own government or the enemy) to evacuate a town before any major fighting in that town begins. Enemy forces even sometimes allow humanitarian corridors to be set up for this purpose.

Once the allowed evacuation period has ended, any remaining civilians in the town are deemed by the enemy as uncomplying combatants, and the enemy can fight without consideration for collateral damage.

Of course, if storing a bunch of freeze-drying food is a viable option for you, then by all means, do it. But don’t expect the luxury of being able to remain in your home once the fighting intensifies.

I think enough canned food, portable stove, stc to fit a bug out bag is reasonable.

But 2 years of freeze dried food won’t help you, especially if you have to run.

If it’s taiwan it’s likely container ships or even cruise ships will be used to evacuate people off the island from major ports. You are not carrying a whole lot. 5kg at most per person.

Also keep in mind any war over taiwan will be fought in the waters around taiwan, it will involve the us navy and the japanese sdf.

If that war is lost, then the problem just got really big and taiwan will likely surrender.

“MREs are not as shelf-stable as freeze-dried foods . They have a shelf life of only 1-5 years, making them unsuitable for long-term storage.”

Good luck.

1 Like

Canned food can last 10 or more years. The flavor may become a little off though.

Freeze dried food must be kept absolutely bone dry, not taiwan humidity.

In fact I would seal it in a vacuum pack for optimal storage.

Freeze dried food is the way to go, especially if you are on the move due to its weight. You can add boiling water or eat as is in many cases. I have purchased emergency meal kit systems that have a 30 year shelf life. Mountain House has a variety of meals, and they all taste pretty damned good IMHO. A household freeze dryer is about US$2700 in the States, give or take. A vacuum sealer or mylar bags with silica packs would extend the shelf life of freeze dried foods and dried grains.

MREs certainly have their place. A smart addition to a bug out bag is one example, since they can also be eaten as is. The shelf life is less than freeze dried food, varies greatly depending on the storage temperature. I have sampled a couple that were over 10 years old with any ill effects.

Canned foods are good if you are bugging in. I would try to use them within a couple years, but they are still edible past that time frame. If the can has a pull tab on it, I wouldn’t expect it to last as long.

Global Foods has dried entrĂŠes to feed large groups, 120 people or so. They told me that after 2 years, they sauce powder starts to clump up, but I did not notice that when preparing. Their meals are all soy based.

1 Like

You know what you’re talking about.

1 Like

Thank you for the compliment, but just a drop in the bucket from a guy who cares too much for the average human who does not deserve to be in the cross fire of global power struggle.

:beers:

That’s based on several weird assumptions.

1. Ukraine and Russia never had any ties
  2. Ukraine had nothing to do with Russia during the USSR
  3. Ukraine had always been an independent country prior to the USSR
  4. There is no other precedent to the current incursion into Ukraine
  5. There has been no outside influence in Ukraine’s politics

And you believe all of these are true? Again, weird. That’s just one perspective, too, and apparently the majority accepted one. I’m not saying Russia is right, but it’s very unusual to discount the Russian view of things and claim outright wrongness in all things related to Ukraine. We don’t know which one is true or false. This isn’t North Korea either–this is Russia.

Unfortunately that’s not the case. I’m working at lightspeed to get things changed on paper locally. The moment the Latin-lettered name in the passport is acquired, I’m sending in an application to my government to set a precedent for Taiwanese renunciation (which is the only circumstance that they allow for renunciation here–that is to acquire a foreign nationality in order to live with a foreign parent).

Oh, that’d be a nightmare come true for sure.

I see. So “reparations” of some sort, huh? But her administration isn’t really responsible for this. How nice of her.

Umm… not the payments, but the KMT’s roots and Taiwanese roots. DPP is trying to rewrite Taiwanese history. Seems to be working if you’re asking this question.

Interesting fact.

I’m leaving in ~3 years for good. I can only hope nothing happens in this time. If 2027 is a potential deadline for PLA’s actions, I am set.

Such is life. You said you children are foreigners but I remember now you have a local wife.

How is the Tsai administration responsible for the 2/28 massacre and white terror period and martial law under the KMT until 1986?

PLA deadline is 2025 at the latest by which time all national males up to 60 should be barred from leaving Taiwan. Let’s get it on.

A precedent? You sure it has not been done before? What country is that you are from? Actually you don’t need to answer that I think you wrote it on FB somewhere.
Renunciation is good for the soul. You’ll be getting a better passport at least

Half foreign. If you’re born here, you automatically get citizenship. You can get rid of it but only if you acquire foreign citizenship and are under 15. Otherwise you’re stuck with needing to do paperwork endlessly until you’re 34 or you can get out of all of that by just doing service AFAIK. But even then you’re still not allowed to renounce.

They’re not. But they’re dishing out reparation payments. Not really their job. It should be the KMT that does this instead. The KMT should fund it.

I read 2027 at multiple news sources. Here’s one:

Russian/Latvian passports. My point is that Ukraine-Russian relations are a lot more buddy-buddy than any other country (maybe Belarus is an exception, but Belarus I believe has a history of independence that goes back much farther than the last ~32 years). Kiev was the birth point of Russian culture after all.

Well, just set me down amongst the weirdos:

Oh, there’s a precedent, all right–an obvious one, except that Putin could have at least faked an attack on a radio station.

Vuhledar:

Mariupol:

Okhtyrka:

Chernihiv:

Marinka:

I’m surprised you are still under 60. You always talk like you are an old man in the mountains.

2 Likes