If the CCP invades, will you fight?

Looks like Iraq after Operation Iraqi Freedom fifteen years ago.

2 Likes

If thatā€™s directed at me, youā€™re preaching to the choir.

I wrote the below about eighteen years ago, when I had the username @xp_10K:

Again, about eighteen years ago:

Again, around the same time:

About fourteen years ago, with my current username:

I think maybe you misunderstood. I meant precedent to the current war. As in why it started. How it started. I.e., not precedent to the current situation of why Ukraine is defending itself. Itā€™s obvious that Ukraine is defending itself against the Russian attack.

Now Iā€™m sure this is a very unpopular video (all the American liberals have told me so), but this guy canā€™t possibly be full on wrong. The only way to think that is this:

My point isnā€™t whether he is wrong or not, however. My point is that there are multiple perspectives, and which one is right or wrong depends on your own biases of which narrative you want to buy and which narrative you want to discredit.

Well, thatā€™s also one way of looking at a human being. As to the human being writing this post, sometimes when my me-me-me-me engine dies down to a dull roar, I begin to suspect that Iā€™m little more than a bag of assorted biases, and changeable ones at that.

But I gotta function somehow, and much of the time it seems my biases are just about the only tools I have for that job.

1 Like

The best lessons are learned by looking in the mirror rather than looking out the window.

1 Like

Was not always the case and certainly not so if parents are not ROC citizens and children are born here. I prefer you say dual or multi citizens. Anyway all children are mixed dna one half from the mother one half from the father.

You might have noticed the KMT is no longer in power and the KMT were apposed to such reparations.

Seems not to be the case anymore though.

So there is trans age now? Can I change my age by how I ā€œfeelā€

1 Like
  1. Yes, they did. So did Britain and Ireland, Britain and America, Germany and Alsace-Lorraine, Japan and Korea, etc. So what?
  2. No. Ukraine had been annexed by the USSR. So had many countries- Byelorussia, Kazakhstan etc. So what?
  3. No. It was part of the Russian Empire. So what?
    4.There were incursions by Russia, Germany, and the Soviet Union.
    5.Yes, there have. Only one country has invaded Ukraine.
3 Likes

At least you realize all of what you just said. Many donā€™t. Thatā€™s why C.G. Jung once said, ā€œPeople donā€™t have ideas. Ideas have people.ā€

Very interesting ā€œfood for thought.ā€

If the parents are ROC citizens and children are born here, they inherit citizenship AFAIK. If I donā€™t apply for citizenship for my own children, they will stay stuck with only being Taiwanese.

They may not be in power, but they are a party that has some influence over things. Why else does Taiwanā€™s flag continue to use KMTā€™s logo? DPP could change it. Do people not realize what that sun/star thing means?

No, not anymore. It used to be. Thatā€™s the point.

So what: The ties (depending on how you count them) go back no more than ~10 years or, at max, ~32 years.

Analogy: Make this type of argument against a black person who feels ā€œracism.ā€ Tell him that many countries around the world (esp. Africa) have slaves and that modern slavery is still a thing but not a thing that heā€™s had to ever experience. Then say, ā€œSo what? You still got a house. You still got a job. Would you prefer to be in chains?ā€

Annexed by the USSR. And before that? What was Ukraine? What government did it had? When did it get its first passport?

Forever in the past? At which point in history did Ukraine appear as an independent country? Give me the year.

Only? Why do you make no mention of Poland, Lithuania, or Turkey?

And by your line of thought, all that matters is invasion. Right? Then at which point will you not consider the U.S. not a role model considering its many covert attempts at overthrowing foreign governments? Or is this a bygones be bygones sort of thing like in the 1st point?

First in January 1918
Again in 24 August 1991.

For mothers to pass on citizenship to their children since 2000 when the law was amended. Before that only from the father being an ROC citizen. As you are recent to Taiwan you are not aware.

Yes, for three years Ukraine was ā€œindependent.ā€ An incredible achievement that didnā€™t last because Ukraine decided (pretty sure they werenā€™t coerced into it) to join the USSR. Also it wasnā€™t a war specifically with Russia that it fought when it wanted to be independent if you look carefully. But good point, nonetheless.

Yes. Right. Soā€¦ Ukraine has had a total of ~38 or so years of independence as a country compared to other places that had hundreds of years of independence. And for some reason, we should entertain the idea that Ukraine has always been a sovereign state with a sovereign identity? Personally I donā€™t agree with this line of thought. Itā€™s weird.

I didnā€™t know that, but Taiwanese law is very clear that if youā€™re born here and one of your parents is Taiwanese, you automatically acquire citizenship without question. Thereā€™s no way to say ā€œnoā€ to this AFAIK.

Thanks for agreeing with me and also you learned something about Taiwan that perhaps you and your wife did not know before.

So what? It does not matter when a country becomes independent. They are sovereign independent countries. When did Malaysia become independent? Or Singapore? Or Brunei?
What about Kosovo or Slovakia and Czech Republic?

You seem to allude that is right for Russia to invade Ukraine because like Putin you question Ukraineā€™s right to be a sovereign independent nation.

1 Like

Yeah none of those countries that joined the USSR were coerced they all volunteered to join :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

2 Likes

Youā€™ve got to really try in order to starve millions in a country with some of the most fertile soil on the planet.

I donā€™t believe thereā€™s universal consensus that this was a staged genocide, though. From what I know, there really isnā€™t full consensus. Did it happen where Ukrainians died? Were they targeted? In some sense, yes, and so were many others across the USSR. I donā€™t think that Stalin had a personal vendetta against them. Iā€™m not aware of any documents suggesting that Ukrainians must be wiped out by starvation the way of Hitler. Read through here if you donā€™t believe me, and if you got something better to show me, go ahead. Iā€™m all ears.

I learned something about Taiwan that is quite useless in my situation. Itā€™s not as if I could go back to pre-2000 and choose my progeny to not have Taiwanese citizenship.

The problem with those is that they had a long history of independence prior to their colonization. Youā€™re comparing apples to airplanes here.

No, what I seem to allude is that no one has the sovereign right to claim sovereignty overnight ā€œjust because they can.ā€ There needs to be a basis for it. You think ALL of Ukrainian land is Ukrainian? Exactly how do you think Ukrainian borders were drawn up? Also, Iā€™m not aware that any of the USSR joiners had ever been forced into joining at gun point the way youā€™re putting it. They signed a treaty, and they willfully decided to secede from the USSR (Republics of the Soviet Union - Wikipedia). These countries pre-USSR were essentially absorbed with some sort of agreement/acceptance into the USSR. We know this from things like Hofstedeā€™s six cultural dimensions of nations (https://scholarworks.gvsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1014&context=orpc):

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Give me the proof that they were coerced. Iā€™m sure some could have been, but anecdotal evidence or opinion =/= unbiased fact.

Your argument, if I may distill it, is that all of this was in a vacuum where one country acted on others and the others had zero agency. Interesting but IMO horribly misguided and lacks basic understanding of how governments work. Not even all the shit that the US did in South America was one-sided. Maybe in your world it is though, and all of the South American countries that suffered under US interventions are victims. I donā€™t know what is going on in your head.

I never said I agreed or supported Russiaā€™s invasion. Also my like for Putin has nothing to do with what you think it does. I like Putin for different reasons that you wouldnā€™t understand. As always, I recommend people to read books on him. You can start with this article and this book. You can also discredit (as you and many others have done) any and all academic researchers because their research and views donā€™t align with yours. Thatā€™s OK. Continue being yourself. No one is here to change your mind. Just showing you that itā€™s not all as black and white as you believe it to be. The world doesnā€™t work as one large circle jerk of harmony.

It doesnā€™t really matter what the motive was. With a friend like Moscow managing your affairs who needs enemies?

2 Likes