Is Racism Here the Same as Racism at Home?

all this talk about ignoring posters. I still don’t get it tho, if you don’t like what someone posts, can you not just ignore it without the use of technology to force the ignore?
There are lots of posters who I don’t generally agree with. I have nobody on my ignore list, zero.
Just wondering what is so great or necessary about it? Or do you feel forced to read something if it’s not on the ignore list?

I agree with what Truant said.

It just feels a little funny to me to reject someone because they said it’s okay to reject others because of their skin colors: what he says is so wrong that we do the same thing to him…but it’s okay.

I agree truant,

If you have nothing nice to say (again, to someone you already made yourself clear to previously) why say anything at all? Why not skip the thread. you are under no obligation to respond. I want to respond negatively to many of XXX’s posts, but I don’t…because there’s no point but to let her know how wrong I think she is.

Funny thing is, I got an email by Poo newest reincarnation, which was banned too, and he actually presented a more thoughtful explaination of his thoughts concerning racism.

I still don’t agree with him, but I appreciate the effort to explain to me why he felt this way.

I’m not afraid to discuss anything with anyone really, even if they are despicable (try being a counsellor for a child sex offender, or in my case counselling juvenile murderers and rapists). Communication is the only method of clarification.

Maybe he is. Maybe he isn’t. But until you talk to him more and stop antagonizing him, you’ll never know.

Peace.

[quote=“truant”]all this talk about ignoring posters. I still don’t get it tho, if you don’t like what someone posts, can you not just ignore it without the use of technology to force the ignore? …
Just wondering what is so great or necessary about it? Or do you feel forced to read something if it’s not on the ignore list?[/quote]

Oh, it’s just fun to actually make them go Poof! and then disappear.

Seriously, though, it shortens the threads greatly, since it reduces Aholes to one-liners, so I can conveniently scan more summaries (in modes like New Posts) or more full postings (within a thread), without having to open new pages as often. My browser crashes one out of three times when I open a new page, which is irritating as all hell (and our IT staff have put it very low on their Do List, so it’s been going on for 2 months), so the fewer pages I have to open, the better.

Finally, yes, I feel forced to read it if it’s there :smiley: . Call me compulsive. Much nicer to just make it go away.

[quote=“sandman”]Tash, Poo was not banned for his views, abhorrent thought they were to several people. He was banned a) because he was a previously banned member who revealed his previous identity and b) because he broke Forumosa rules by posting a private message from another poster.
Get your facts straight.[/quote]

Sandman, if you read back to my and Dragonbones’ posts from page 1 of this thread, you’ll see that my objection was to the first wave of reactions to his post. ie, to the reactions of posters, not specifically to the act of banning which came later.
The rules are the rules. If I don’t like them, I will not use this forum. No need to get rough with me :wink:

[quote=“tash”][quote=“sandman”]Tash, Poo was not banned for his views, abhorrent thought they were to several people. He was banned a) because he was a previously banned member who revealed his previous identity and b) because he broke Forumosa rules by posting a private message from another poster.
Get your facts straight.[/quote]

Sandman, if you read back to my and Dragonbones’ posts from page 1 of this thread, you’ll see that my objection was to the first wave of reactions to his post. ie, to the reactions of posters, not specifically to the act of banning which came later.
The rules are the rules. If I don’t like them, I will not use this forum. No need to get rough with me :wink:[/quote]

Tash, don’t piss Sandman off…he knows where the best whisky can be bought! We don’t want him holding out on us! :wink:

I think what SM and DB are saying is that their reaction to Poo was so strong because they pegged him for a troll who has been in here before. I also was unaware of this. It happens. A lot of people in here are oldtimers and have seen the several incarnations of Poo…all of which were less than desirable.

BTW, welcome if you haven’t been properly welcomed. :slight_smile:

I can see your point in a certain light. For example, SOME buxibans are trying to make money, not teach english, hence they discriminate their hiring to hire only blonde whities. In the USA this would be bad racism because regardless of color, your audience will be the same, but in TW the target market might have a color preference for the teacher they pick.

i.e. in USA u might buy different colored M&Ms, here ppl only want the brown ones cause they think they are more naturally the color of chocolate (even tho it may be an ignorant idea).

so in that regards, its like a market dictated racism, in which case is it the skule’s fault or da tarket market (TW society)…

I tried using [quotes], but that came out too messy, so please excuse me for replying this way. Bold is my reply, plain text is Dragonbones

Tash -
Welcome. :bravo:

[quote=“jdsmith”]
Tash, don’t piss Sandman off…he knows where the best whisky can be bought! We don’t want him holding out on us! :wink:

I think what SM and DB are saying is that their reaction to Poo was so strong because they pegged him for a troll who has been in here before. I also was unaware of this. It happens. A lot of people in here are oldtimers and have seen the several incarnations of Poo…all of which were less than desirable.

BTW, welcome if you haven’t been properly welcomed. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Thanks for the friendly warning, JD, but I think he’s already pissed off :frowning:
I was thinking of coming to my first HH next week, but I don’t dare anymore.

Thanks for the welcome, though. Always nice :slight_smile:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Tash -
Welcome. :bravo:[/quote]

Thanks!

Is that for real? :s or you just wanna lure me into coming to HH so you can beat me up for that “revocation of independence” thread? :smiley:

[quote=“tash”]

[quote]Thanks for the friendly warning, JD, but I think he’s already pissed off :frowning:

Thanks for the welcome, though. Always nice :slight_smile:[/quote]

Tash, please come anyway. Most of us have a very short attention span and if you shake a bottle of Macallen in front of Sandman’s face and say “Whisssssky,” you’re bound to have a buddy for …well, at least the evening.

Again, all jesting aside. We don’t take this kind of disagreement into real life. Come and have fun.

As for DB, just smoke and he’ll head for the hills. :wink:

[quote=“tash”][quote=“jdsmith”]

Thanks for the friendly warning, JD, but I think he’s already pissed off :frowning:

Thanks for the welcome, though. Always nice :slight_smile:[/quote]
Don’t worry, I won’t be there tonight, so no mad bastard’ll be sticking the nut in you. :wink:
Even if I was to be there, you’d still have no worries. Peace, and welcome.

Edit: It’s not tonight, is it? No, it’s not. So I’ll be there next Wednesday. Hope to meet you there, tash.

I really agree with what you have said, Tash. Takes courage. I appreciate it. You said what I wanted to say, only SO MUCH better. Thanks.

[quote=“tash”]Who

Are you a smurf of Tash, or what?

[quote=“Dragonbones”][quote=“tash”]Who

Are you a smurf of Tash, or what?[/quote]

Do you have a problem with the color of his skin?

[quote=“tash”]Here’s my point/stance/belief:
[b]I believe that a group of people that doesn

Are you a smurf of Tash, or what?[/quote]

No, I just agree with the points he made.

And apparently that doesn’t sit well with you.

Too bad.