Is Taiwan racist?

And Taiwan is part of China as most of the world knows it. Take one strike out… And still Ukraine is an example of what the west can do on a possible confrontation with a super power.

The difference is there is legislation that mandates intervention by the US if it is not Taiwan being the provocateur. During the Cold War, there were almost interventions over Quemoy and Matsu in the 50s, the US sent the 7th fleet in during the 1996 elections, and with Congressional support strong for the TRA, I am sure there would be some intervention if something happened in the future. Don`t you think previous displays of engagement show the West would respond? I much prefer business integration, but if China gets aggressive, I thank fuck there is the US and Japan and not the salons of Europe (who much prefer to debate and debate and debate and debate and debate and debate etc.).

When Spain pulled out of Iraq, I thought wholly shit, what has happened to the spirit of fighters such as Gonzalo Queipo de Llano y Sierra. :laughing: They have turned pussy.

1 Like

Spain is full of pussies like in every country. Thank God Im not one of them as you can imagine if you read about my history in Taiwan.
I think that you have a problem wishing for a world war 3. Thank God it will never happen with Taiwan…

Not at all. The best protection against WW3 is an integrated economy where trade means there is too much to lose. However, the Chinese often make decisions based on emotion or based on solidifying domestic public opinion (which is why they often get into aggressive Taiwan rhetoric from time to time). While I much prefer peace/profit to warmongering, I believe you stand up to bullies (which China can be from time to time). If there is one thing history has taught us, Europe does not stand up to bullies as well as the US does. It is why the US has bailed them out again and again and again and again. :wink:

1 Like

Well, American respond depends on level/success of Taiwan resistance like always in war. When everything is over in 2 days, when half generals switch side at first minute, when local guys hide in basement with girls, than America can do nothing. And exactly this will happen. Island is taken over, before America start moving ships. Game over. New geo - political reality which America will adjust accordingly.

Another scenario is - which i do not really believe in, cause like i said Taiwanese are just another flavor of Chinese. Money, own selfish personal - family interest meaning to em more than nationality, democracy. Well in this scenario Taiwan can hold it for at least 2 weeks, and China looks like pathetic weak just like Soviet Union did attacking Finland before second world war, well than am sure Japanese and Americans will jump in.

So firstly, Taiwanese must stand their own ground for some time. Timing is important

Down the road like 15 years, when Taiwan totally lose edge in technology, China can actually take island without much troubles. And we from NATO countries will care about it so much, as Taiwanese care about Syria or Ukraine these days. Is Chinese things in the end of day…

2 Likes

China is just waiting for the right time. When it happens no one will go on a war with China account of Taiwan.
You dont need too many brains to know this, but emotions are blurring your vision.

2 Likes

No one will go to war with Germany on account of Poland. :wink:

Different case, different times.

In any case, you haven’t provided any evidence that people are more likely to get shot because they’re black.

1 Like

Right now the next thread after “Is Taiwan racist?” is “Is the pope Catholic?”

:grinning:

From the Wikipedia page,

“Research suggests that police practices, such as racial profiling, over-policing in areas populated by minorities and in-group bias may result in disproportionately high numbers of racial minorities among crime suspects.[75][76][77][78] Research also shows that there is discrimination by the judicial system, which contributes to a higher number of convictions and harsher sentencing for racial minorities.”

it’s just my impression that in many cases, if the person shot by police were white, they may not be shot during the interaction, or the interaction may not occur at all. With NO evidence.

From the CNN article
“Buehler said that the difference between his study and the paper published in the NBER is that he measured death rates per total population size and the NBER report examined rates of the use of lethal force per numbers of “high-risk encounters,” such as an encounter that involved an aggravated assault against an officer rather than a routine traffic stop.”

I agree.
Nobody will trigger a war with a nuclear state. If China’s back is to the wall they would use the nukes. Only one needs to get through to cause millions of deaths. China has a few billion cannon fodder they can spare.

The USA will give as much fight as they did for Crimea.

1 Like

Ummm…no one is going to bring up the US pretty much promised security in the Asian pacific for countries like Korea and japan. If they see the US does nothing for Taiwan when they promised…South Korea and japan will likely also quickly make nukes as deterrent and up their military, the US doesn’t want that.

They may not want to but it’s in the best interest of the US to help if they want any foothold in the Asian pacific. Also realistically japan and even Korea.

According to some bishops, no.

There’s a bunch of stuff like that, but it can’t account for all the disparity; it’s mentioned that that is the general scholarly consensus.

But to put it in perspective, Taiwan has only democratize less than 3 decades ago and democracies tend to be slow in change. Also there really isn’t much reason for foreigners to come to Taiwan until maybe the last 2-3 decades of fast industrial development so the laws reflect that still. Also taking in account that it’s an island nation that’s always been pretty homogeneous, I think Taiwan could have been worse in being inclusive as a country and society. Give the country time, we’ve made some tremendous progress considering we just got out Japanese rule and the kmts martial law after they came. Maybe there is a reason why we aren’t so open to people coming.

‘we’, you just came for a few years and left again. :slight_smile:

That has to win the "Forumosa " best Freudian- slip Prize of the year.:slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

One can belong to a country even leaving it for a long time. My kids’ country is my home country at this moment even though they have never lived there.

Yeah I’m just talking usage of ‘we’ being quite funny.

You don’t need to tell this 20 year expat with family around the world about belonging to different countries. Although belonging is an odd word , something like connection would be better.