Is this beer "famous" in its country?

Just saw two other versions of this at a-mart, a Gold and a wheat.

The wheat is quite good. The gold is too light for my taste

How could I resist?

Taiwan beer is the best beer you can buy here in Taiwan.
No need to import it all the way from Europe, unless it’s a hefeweizen (Wheat beer with a high yest content)

Im Vergleich zu anderen chinesischen Bieren wird es nicht nach dem Deutschen Reinheitsgebot gebraut.

1 Like

Yeah. It really puts the “pee” in pee jiu.

4 Likes

Taiwan beer is gloryfied water. It’s like bud light or Heineken. If you want to drink a decent Beer at relatively low cost i recommend bear beer.

Im Vergleich zu anderen chinesischen Bieren wird es nicht nach dem Deutschen Reinheitsgebot gebraut.

I forgot which beer I liked.
nicht = not, it’s not brewed according to German regulations.
It’s a long time since I had my last beer here. Maybe 15 years or longer.
But there is one that’s really good, as good as German beer.

not really famous in Spain, and not really popular in its region, but they have another brew that has more substance and reportedly more fan base. Not imported here AFAIK.

Not sure if anyone has tried (I have not yet), I saw a shop selling a drink made with green tea and beer (a creation of Taiwan I suppose or maybe Japan). Made me curious. Should try one day.

Same opinion on the Taiwan wheat beer? for me it is too sweet, but I like it at first.
Taiwan classic I will drink because it does have some bitter taste- at least it is a flavor. The others pretty much no, even the “Premium”.

I’ve had some of Taiwan Beer’s Honey Beer the last few days for the first time.
Not bad. Yes, sweet, but a good beer for hot weather.

The two Taiwan beer rich in yeast are good imo.

1 Like

One is the “cloudy”, is the other the “honey”?

One is wheat cloudy, the other one probably just cloudy. Will take pictures.

This one? Sickly sweet. It was heavy enough to replace all of my meals for the day

Pffff too expensive

Hmm I’ve always shied away for some reason. I thought it looked cheesy I guess. I’ll give it a try.

1 Like

Taiwan has like some of the worst honey I’ve ever tasted. Can’t imagine beer made with it being very good.

Beer has come a long way in the last 15 years! I like that these beer bars have a large selection of IPAs, but they are freaking expensive! I was back stateside a few weeks ago and was surprised to find it cheaper than here.

Of course it’s cheaper in the states or elsewhere.
Taiwan upfront taxes beer at NT$26 per litre (from gov’t website).
Moreover, beer sold in Taipei City cannot be brewed in Taipei City (only government TTL (Taiwan Beer) is allowed to brew in Taipei).
Thus, micro-brewers in Taipei who want to sell their beers have to make it in Taoyuan, etc. and deliver it back in. All kinds of costs. Taiwan micro-brewers currently don’t produce at large economies of scale like U.S. micro-brewers can/do.

Eventually some price competition will hit the micro-brewers. Just a matter of time. Until then, 7-11 and Carrefour usually have some great deals on imported IPAs that aren’t that bad.

1 Like