Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

Well…I guess everyone should just dress like this with a helmet and a 360 camera on their head. I would be curious what kind of ‘suggestions’ people or police would try to make up instead of people should wear bright/visible clothes when crossing the street (I mean that’s what street lights at intersections are for but that’s too much common sense).

It’s foodpanda not go panda.

Or Go Share I think

Or a Food Panda driver on a rented scooter. :thinking:

Have been thinking about filming every time I use this particular zebra crossing, showing the crossing and panning to catch cars with number plates as they come full-tilt at pedestrians.

1 Like

Car constantly swerve at pedestrians here as if to warn them whose bigger. They also slam to the gas to accelerate when they see pedestrians nearby, Its disgusting behavior.

2 Likes

Unfortunately it won’t cause people to change…they’ll just think you’re the jerk because they get a ticket/fine without understanding why what they did was wrong or justify it by saying pedestrians walk slow or pedestrians are hard to see.

Without proper education, enforcement, and better road/intersection designs everything else seems temporary at best. Similar to how last year for a single month the police were enforcing safe distance from cars to pedestrians which seemed to last a whole week. Now instead of cutting me off in front they’ll speed around and almost clip the back of my feet.

This picture has been spread around on some different TW facebook pages recently and kind of captures it all in one image.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=138133728324978&set=a.126668576138160

8 Likes

Worst Part of Taiwan’s Third Worldism:

1. Can’t flush TP.
  2. Baseball stadiums with bullpens that are in play.
2 Likes

Let me guess. . . . Taoyuan? :grin:

Guy

1 Like

Taipei, Im sure its worse in Taoyuan

2 Likes

nice pic, needs 10x more scooters though.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Another tragic incident today, this time in Taichung. A student killed by a bus while crossing the street. The driver claims the bus had a brake failure but of course that’s always the go-to response in many incidents.

This leads to the question of did the bus driver not honk his horn? He should have known fairly early on of the brake failure and honked his horn since the road leading up to the intersection is a downward slope meaning he should brake earlier…but it’s of course not uncommon for bus drivers to accelerate into bus stops or intersections and slam on the brakes…

Even if it is just a freak accident still sad to see a young person pass like that…

4 Likes

This is tragic.

A 16-year-old girl died after being hit by a bus on a pedestrian crossing

That’s so sad. and what’s worse is that nothing will be done about it, and it will keep happening, because as people in this thread have said it’s not a big problem "“facts” and there’s rarely danger when crossing the roads…

Don’t busses have handbrakes?

I just had a look at the place on google maps. The road is indeed steep, even when passing the school.

According to reports, at around 7:50 am, a group of students had started to cross the road at the entrance of Jiayang High School with a green walk signal, when a speeding bus approaching showed no sign of slowing down.

The speed limit was 40, so why would he have been speeding? and speeding on a school road? already a bad sign imo.

The 42-year-old driver of the 165 bus, named Lin, claims that the brakes had failed on the long downhill section

Yet the bus has somehow miraculously came to a stop a few meters after the site of the accident, even though its still on the hill. What happened? The brakes stopped being busted?

I don’t think the brakes failed i think he failed to brake.

3 Likes

And lights and horns and shouting out the window, none of which seem to have been utilized.

2 Likes

This excuse is getting quite cliché in pretty much every accident scenario. Instead of admitting they weren’t paying attention, its always the brakes fault. Only to be found a day later it was driver error. The whole face saving thing is also cliché as well.

I think it doesn’t help that many bus companies put the drivers on a tight schedule and you always see busses speeding, wearing in and out, and panic braking all to meet a deadline.

6 Likes

This is video of the incident.

Mod’s note: blurred link below, this footage may be disturbing

As for the “brake failure” you have to ask why did they fail. Because the driver is using them too much on downhill sections, instead of using the gears. They always coast and brake, coast and brake, until they overheat or fail.

Does that count as a failing break though? you can see he is coming to a stop at and pulling over at the end of the video. So basically he just broke too late and failed to anticipate the red light and crossing full of kids…even though there was a long enough stretch of open road leading up to the crossing.

1 Like