Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

By going by common sense, i’d say taiwan is closer to india than new zealand for driving safety.

That’s your opinion, but the evidence doesn’t support your opinion.

If you choose to ignore the other factors due to a bias against Taiwan, I can’t help you.

But we’re gonna go nowhere fast if you insist that Taiwan is the same as India(16.6) and China(18.8) when one can see for themselves that they are much much worse.

It’s like saying this orange:

is like this orange:

And the evidence doesn’t support common sense! Who knows how the taiwan govt track that sort of thing, but based on what i’ve seen with my own eyes i do not trust it.

1 Like

It’s really not difficult to track road deaths.

They’re deaths on the road. It’s not like the rain washes cars and bodies away. Dead bodies don’t just crawl away.

If it involves a vehicle and a resultant death… It’s not rocket science.

2 Likes

You say this sort of thing every time a topic like this pops up marco. Then when all the stories about people getting run over pop up as they do, because it happens all the time in taiwan. you are nowhere to be found…

7.8 per 100000 people means that Taiwan lost 1800 people roughly last year given its current population of roughly 23 million. Give or take.

5 People on average die a day.

In a country of 23 million. Millions of tonnes of food are eaten every day

Millions tonnes more literal shit go into our sewage. This is modern society. In a society of millions of people, the chances of someone dying of something stupid goes up.

5 people on average die a day, and if I see the news, yes, it looks like a lot, but that’s not really a lot. Relativity is a big factor. The news certainly has enough content to play with if they record every death.

Numbers are hard…

Approximately 5 people die in the UK as well every single day in a road collision. The BBC would not have a shortage of content if they reported every traffic death there too.

I could easily spin it. The BBC doesn’t waste its time reporting EVERY SINGL traffic death, TVBS and Taiwanese news do.

I could make it sound like a lot if I reported every single one EVERY DAY

Marco, do me a favour. See if you can find a news story about the problem of politicians in new zealand getting in traffic accidents on the way to work because the roads are such a dangerous shit show in their country. If you can i may get off your case.

See this is my point. Your posts indicate to me that you don’t understand relativity.

Most politicians wouldn’t even bother reporting their collisions in other countries because…it happens there too. You don’t know what goes on behind the scenes.

Simultaneously, you make it sound like it never happens in other countries.

You found a news article about politicians getting into two crashes, I present you three in Canada.

Your point is flawed and meaningless if you are unable to understand relativity

One guy? did you even read the article about taichung?
It’s a problem because because those guys need to travel across the city multiple times a day to do their job, and they keep getting in traffic accidents because the traffic is DANGEROUS. This should be common sense to anyone who has spent 5 minutes in taichung, yet you still debate it.

How about others who need to spend a lot of time on the road? delivery drivers? 2 dead in 3 days. nice average there.

Your bias is truly outstanding.

Again, in a vacuum what is one or two deaths? Two deaths is a lot?

You keep showing me articles of anecotal crashes trying to say this is a lot this is a problem. etc…

We determine if it’s a lot or there is a problem by looking at the whole picture.

You’re looking at a pixel.

That’s…lower than the average I quoted at 5 per day. Are you TRYING to prove me right?

We notice Coronavirus deaths in other countries because THAT is a lot. Not road deaths. 1800 a year is a molecule in the bucket. Not even a drop. A molecule

I don’t look at just one and scream the sky is falling.

I am nearing a decade here. I’ve never had a single person I know die in a road incident. It’s so low that I don’t even think about the fact that a friend could die in the road because the chances are so low it’s not worth my time to think about.

My mind is on my friends and family in Canada where there is a real risk of them dying from Corona as instead of 2000 people dying on the roads in Canada, 24000 have died due to the Coronavirus. That is a far greater number.

And I know people who have had family die in Canada due to Corona. THAT is a risk worth thinking about. Dying on the roads here? It’s probably not going to happen to you. Relax.

In the grand scheme of things. Taiwan’s road fatality rate is not worth fixing at all costs. and should only be improved when the ROI is high.

The average of what? the whole population? it’s the average of delivery drivers! and this was from 2 years ago. This sort of thing probably isn’t even news worthy anymore.

So now you need to toot the corona virus taiwan no.1 horn? what’s that got to do with anything? Not only that but the time for corona virus boasting is now over, we are in the vaccine phase and taiwan is way behind on that front.

Did you read my post?

I don’t remember anywhere where I boasted about Taiwan’s Coronavirus work in my post.

I’m trying to give a comparison of the levels of relative risk.

But you continue with the strawmen.

Two people died on those three days. Are delivery people dying EVERY three days?

You’re not even reading my posts. Why am I bothering having a good-faith discussion?

The risk of getting run over in taiwan is higher than catching corona in a western country. If you really want to avoid catching it you can stay home and make masked socially distanced trips to the supermarket.

In taiwan even if you wanted to do this you would still have to make contact with the roads, and as we have seen in another thread, its completely out of your hands whether the traffic will decide to stop for you or, whether you will be mashed across the street by a bus. Man woman or child, makes no difference. You are at the mercy of taiwans law of the road jungle.
High school student dead after being hit by bus on pedestrian crossing – Taiwan English News

See. This is absolutely and unequivocally false. I provided the numbers and the proof.

Again, this is a strawman, I can go to any place in the world, pick up a news article and scream the sky is falling. I provided the numbers and proof that Taiwan is not particularly dissimilar to other developed countries.

1 Like

I did not intend for my flippant post to cause trouble, and now apologize for posting it.

I assume you meant dying from Covid.

Who is not reading who’s posts now? As i said, corona is very avoidable depending on your own personal responsibility.

No amount of taking responsibility is going to stop a bus or taxi from using its brakes at a pedestrian crossing and not taking your life.

Except it’s not. It’s dependent on both people. If one person fails to do due diligence when infected, they can still infect someone else. Corona is invisible. You can’t avoid everything.

You can only reduce the risk. Not eliminate it. Not everyone that died from Corona is an irresponsible person and is insensitive to suggest otherwise.

That’s actually not what happened though marco.

That news is recent, it happened at the exact moment we were discussing the issue of crossing the roads in taiwan being dangerous.