Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

I love it when you talk dirty to us.

Citizens are allowed to do said crushing. Video proof of the offence and remediation will need to be provided.

2 Likes

Another blue truck running over people crossing the street. Always the “A” pillar BS.

Not specifically talking about this case, but in general the bullcrap A pillar excuse should count as admission to cause a crime/accident and should probably more often than not be treated the same way as intentionally driving into someone that they have full visibility of, considering moving your head to get visibility around the A pillar is an incredibly basic skill related to driving.

3 Likes

How are people even considering/discussing a potential blind spot?

The video is clear, this fucking numbskull turned straight into oncoming traffic expecting everybody to give way for him.

10 Likes

Yup. This isn’t a case of not knowing/caring how to safely make a left turn or not knowing/caring who has the right of way (other common problems), this is someone who is in too much of a hurry to wait for other people. With predictable results

Maybe we should have dedicated single file lanes with barriers for blue trucks, and again for pedestrians. Forcing everyone to go single file in straight lines that never overlap is the only way to solve the local traffic problems /s

Personally, I see blue trucks, food delivery, and taxis as dangerous hazards to be carefully watched, avoided, and otherwise expected to do something stupid and dangerous

7 Likes

Consider that scooters are is ALREADY the predominate mode of transportation by the vast majority Taiwanese people, you can’t arbitrarily force them, tax them or ban them into giving up.

You want to physically regulate the flow of the meandering scooters by using the simplest self-explanatory physical design- a one-lane, one-file physical environment.

Remember i said scooter is the main mode of transportation by the majority population. Therefore once you behavioural-train the population on scooters, I guarantee you that every other mode will also become orderly. Potty-train them, if you like the analogy.

My tongue in cheek notwithstanding, nothing I proposed is strange. Go take a look at a well designed well built bicycle lane. They are physically separated from cars by some form of barrier.

1 bicycles are more affordable. Therefore it’s not about affordability.

Most Taiwanese households have both cars and scooters. So it’s not about affordability. It’s about convenience. And convenience in the case of Taiwanese scooters currently means ride anywhere park anywhere. Everyone freelances their own scooter rules.

Solution:You want to put a limit on that freelancing or deprive the possibility of freelancing. To achieve that, you want to have an intuitive physical environment that auto-regulates scooter behaviour. Every scooter-rider sees what other scooters are doing, and naturally follow the herd. It’s self-learning. Learn by observation in a limited options physical environment.

2 You are not going to be able to persuade people in a free market to give up their private transportation by offering public transportation. Just like you won’t stop people from getting a cellphone by offering public payphones.

Fascinating. I was unaware that Calvin and Hobbes were Taiwanese.

8 Likes

Affordability is key for scooter riders. Everybody knows you can get a weeks worth of driving for a hundred ntd. It’s practically free compared to other options, is scooter parking is free in most areas.

I worked with a guy who would scooter all the way from tamshui and back daily just to save on the MRT fee. I would say that is quite common still.

5 Likes

They only line up orderly because people can see them. Behind the wheel of a vehicle, one becomes a lot more anonymous

5 Likes

I did that myself. Cheaper than MRT, have your own vehicle, easy to go grab lunch or food after I get where I was going originally.

The mrt is quite expensive IMO especially on the low office wages many workers are on, it makes the scooter more economical. Perhaps the MRT should be subsidized more.

If only we could see who was driving, and if they were looking at us when we try to cross the road, or they are looking at their phones, or is it a toddler driving! Who can’t tell who is behind the wheel of all these black-sedane mercedes benz!

But on a serious note, is there any regulation on car window tinting here in Taiwan?
Like in EU minimum is 70% “transparency”?

3 Likes

Just do monthly pass. Unlimited travel on mrt and buses is really nice. Opens up a whole new mindset to getting out and about. Great fun and value.

Taiwanese people conform in public spaces meaning they copy what they see others doing.

Now if the majority of scooters currently ride with unlimited entropy, and since scooters dominate the roads, the entire traffic is chaotic as a result.

Therefore the key is to make scooters move in an orderly manner. Once you achieve that all the other miscellaneous traffic problems will be easily mitigated

2 Likes

Dude/dudette, your posts remind me of petards and something being too much by half. Remember, segregation has been tried, with strange results: cars merging into the scooter lane in order to turn right, two-step left turn for scooters and other design monstrosities.

Segregation is not a solution for fundamental shortcomings in road design, driver training and enforcement … unless if the problem you wish to solve is of the “see, I did something!” kind

4 Likes

No you completely misread. I repeated said, the scooters had to “line up”, therefore if there is one lane available, then only one file is allowed.

One file per lane.

Did I not repeated told everyone on this thread 1-lane-1-file?

No it hasn’t been “tried” in Taiwan. Not anywhere in Taiwan, ever.

Your misreading it as segregation.

Segregation - if not designed and built for the purpose of “1 file 1lane” - does not work.

Below is an example of a single file segregated bike lane in another country. See?https://images.app.goo.gl/XBTmSUr771sMsa3U6

Yeah, but some of us drive white plates in Taiwan and know that people will drive the way they want, that’s the problem. You also said 5 feet wide, easily enough room to pass

Again today i was forced from the middle lane to the scooter lane by an asshole in a car because he didn’t want to go in the far lane that i wasnt allowed in. This is the culture that needs to be changed. Your solution is just an unworkable infrastructure headache that creates many problems and solves none.

1 Like

I already listed reasons upthread why this isn’t workable. Your solution only works if you ignore them.

Just copy this. The scooter lane HAS to he physically segregated from the car lane in a manner shown in the follow picture, AND on top of that, remember the segregation is designed FOR the purpose of confining a swam of scooters into an orderly file of scooters.

Any solution that does not intend to produce an orderly file of scooters is not what I am proposing.

https://images.app.goo.gl/uQiF6og3buyUY3pV9

Yeah, that’s one reason it wont work. As i said up thread, where is the parking? People will double park their cars already to go to 711 or get some tea or walk their kids in to a buxiban. Now they have to block a lane of traffic for that, and run across a rifle barrel of scooter traffic. Are you for serious :rofl:

This won’t magically happen, that path in that photo is wide enough for people to pass

It is, you just cant see it

If your solution were possible, it wouldnt be necessary

1 Like