Is traffic the worst part of Taiwan's lingering third worldism?

Looks like a stop sign painted on the road there that the scooter didn’t follow. Usually at small intersections there is a white character painted to indicate right of way. And usually, they are ignored.

1 Like

Also, the vehicles parked on either side are a problem, that scooter was going too fast, everyone gets a share of blame. Except the baby, hope they’re ok

2 Likes

It looks like a 慢 to me. Anyway, no one in Taiwan can read the 停 and 慢 characters.

5 Likes

2022 road deaths on track to reach highest level since 2014.

The Ministry of Transport said that the higher fines should lead to better behavior on the road.

Road safety advocate Lin Chih-hsueh (林志學) disagrees with this approach, saying that “the focus should be on designing better road infrastructure and enhancing drivers’ education.”

2 Likes

Fines are the solution for when there’s no interest to solve the issue.

4 Likes

A few days ago I’m waiting to turn left, light is red. As the light turns green I move into the intersection and see out the corner of my eye someone walk off the sidewalk into the line of stopped cars, a few cars back from the zebra. I continue my turn and proceed slowly waiting for him to pop out in front of me. Which of course he does, without looking. I slam on the brakes like I was worried about hitting him just as he looks up and freezes in front of me. He was never in danger from me, because I saw him coming. He could have walked a few car lengths to the zebra, or 20m in the other way to the ither zebra, but he didn’t. Threatening highet fines for not yielding at the zebra lines will have little impact, I think, because it won’t be enforced and pedestrians aren’t only getting hit when they have the right of way

Also, last week, I’m walking down a street with no sidewalk, on Forumosa as I go. Coming to an intersection with a car as usual parked at the red line on the corner obstructing vision (SUV), and as the light turns, I put down the phone and step to the side and wait. Sure enough, a sedan comes too fast around the corner where I would have been walking with my head down.

Pedestrians need to pay attention, everyone needs to slow down, cars have to stop parking at the corners, police need to enforce the laws that exist

Maybe they need specialized traffic police just deal with this

Also, same area, was one if the few places in town where the lights were properly synchronized. Not sure why, but they changed the timing so now it is regularly backed up and causing congestion and impatience in the while area.

4 Likes

Truck driver will be punished. The companies that impose them irrational and dangerous schedules will be business as usual.

Fines and actual enforcement of fines. When they don’t even dare to do this how in gods name do they expect an overhaul of the traffic infrastructure and education to ever happen?

The boss needs to resign and find someone fit for the job.

1 Like

it seems to be one of the favourite things of the city gov: fucking up sync of the traffic lights.

3 Likes

47 people in Changhua (where the 2nd accident took place) died in the first 11 months of 2022 at intersections with no traffic lights. It looks like the county government is trying to put in stop/yield signs and show the number of traffic accidents/casualties in the current year/month at these places, according to this article:

1 Like

Missed the exit? No problemo! Do the Z special operation. put in

exit

2 Likes

I was so confused until I realized he drove done the entrance ramp against traffic…
Seriously…it says they were issued a ticket…mandatory reeducation might be required (not Taiwanese driver’s ed. though)

2 Likes

They must know they aren’t supposed to do that, how do you teach people to not be assholes?

3 Likes

Total lack of awareness of how much in danger they are putting themselves and other people when driving.

Same as parking in intersections, people just know it’s illegal, but don’t understand why or how much does it increase danger and the probability of a crash happening because of it.
Nor understanding the consequences of a crash of course.

Same with so many illegal driving & parking habits.
Lack of a proper and safety-first driver’s education.

4 Likes

I’m sure the guy driving the wrong way is aware

Based on the amount of vehicles parked on the corner, they probably don’t think the probability is high. An everyone does it mentality

I don’t know how they are going to get the point across through education. Enforcing fines, and shame, I think will be more useful.

I sat through the videos showing the consequences of dangerous driving, fortunately I had a book.

Maybe required visits to victims of accidents, or graves? Only those who caused the accidents. Maybe volunteer family members? Difficult to do it in a way that respects the victims, though.

Seriously, though. How can the drivers ed be improved?

2 Likes

Cop cars or scooter cops with loud sirens who are forcing people to stand outside their vehicle or beside their scooter with helmet off so everyone can see who the dickhead is. Public shame in front of their neighbors might put a boot up some of their asses. But, of course, this is Taiwan and all one has to do is say they’ve been publicly shamed and the world stops for them.

5 Likes

I’m of course very biased by my own experience of going through drivers education in Spain, but my teacher was the most inflexible teacher I’ve ever had, nothing like the test and examiner I had in Taiwan. In my opinion 95% of drivers here would fail the tests people have to take in Spain.

I had to go to 30+ hours of real road-training with my teacher, and then the examination was of course done my someone else who is mandated to fail you for the minimum things. Everyone involved understood the importance of safety-first risk-free driving and their role on teaching their students, and they passed that down to me.

I feel people here are so used to take risks, maybe in so many aspects of everyday life, that they don’t think too much about risk on the road being just much more deadly & life-changing danger for everyone involved.

We should make sure drivers stop gambling on the road, and pedestrians stop accepting that gamble of walking on the streets. And demand the design of roads here to not force people to gamble.

Drivers should think of their safety and of everyone around them first, and everything else second. Then we will stop having so many accidents.

5 Likes

They’ll have to import the teachers, I’m afraid

3 Likes

I’m here already, and more than willing to fail 99.9% of the students (and current drivers).

3 Likes

This.

TV show “Idiot of the week/day” showing faces and plates. Monthly and yearly rankings. Lose privacy for idiotic stuff. This includes roads designers as well.

4 Likes