It's 2019, Does Taiwan Still Produce the Worst Beer in Asia?

They’d be wise not to try.

Some Taiwanese products manage do go global without marketing or any other effort. Bubble milk tea is an obvious example.

Not really. Beverages are a lot about chauvinism. Some even about local-ism.

I agree. Taiwan doesn’t have enough prestige for most beer markets.

They’re probably better off going into spirits or wine. Beer is kinda too standard.

The blue cans man. I learned to avoid them quickly, whatever the reason.

1 Like

My Aussie visitor a while back gave it a ‘mediocre’ rating on his beer app but didn’t tell me directly.
I was almost offended for a second.:sunglasses:

As for beer from Taiwan, there’s a lot of great brews now, pretty pricey though so you’ll still see me quaffing back Taiwan beer on occasion, especially the summertime when it hits the spot.

1 Like

Could you elaborate on what a pricy beer is for you? Lots of great beers at Carrefour for cheap cheap.

More than a hundred nt a can or a bottle is a big no no.
I’m talking about Taiwan local craft beer.
When a beer gets above 60 or 70 it will give me definite pause for thought. But 100ntd plus is kind of my absolute cut off, in a supermarket .

Well they definitely don’t add that then, because Taiwan beer’s foam dissipates about 5 seconds after pouring it.

1 Like

I’m fine with Taiwan Beer. Longchuan and its derivative Go Beer not so much. Why would you think Tsingtao is so much better?

How is locally produced beer a NEW thing? For years TTL enjoyed a monopoly. This monopoly was only broken up in recent years.

There are good microbrews, but not so easy to find outside Taipei. It’s going to take time for that kind of beer culture to find its way over here. It’s not like it was always around in the States either. When I was a kid in Seattle my parents also had about five beers to choose from. It took time for the microbrew market to grow.

There’s dozens of great microbrews here. Not sure which Taiwan you are talking about ?

I’m also not sure why somebody thinks original tsingdao tastes any better than the one in Taiwan. I’ve had both and they are both mass market light beers. At least in Taiwan I know I can get a buzz with a minimum alcohol content.

Bought a few cases from Jim & Dad’s recently. They make some decent brews, though I tend to stay away from the fruit and coffee infused ones.

1 Like

I don’t drink much Taiwan craft beer due to my issue with the cost, but I know of zhangmen, red beer?, Jim and dads, sunmai, bunch of others all doing decent stuff.

1 Like

Something changed with Tsingtao. Fifteen years ago it was a straight up German lager (it was still good in 2007, which is the date on the post you quoted from Quentin). Nowadays it tastes more like an American adjunct-grain lager. Tsingtao has really gone into the crapper imo. Pretty much undrinkable to me. ← sample size = 2 cans, summer of 2018.

Start the telethon? :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Certain things in life ain’t supposed to be luxuries. I’m talking about you BEER

You’d be horrified at some of the cash I’ve dropped at places like the Belgium beer restaurants. Thousands. So drunk you start dropping 250nt on a beer without realizing it

I’ve had a similar experience. That Piraat beer is downright dangerous. Don’t even remember half the following day.

I have different standards for supermarkets and restaurants, otherwise I’d be a teetotaller by now. :sunglasses:

What do folks think of the king car beers… I think they are decent for the price. Good CP value.

Probably because of some snobbery about Tsingdao’s German origins. They may just like the taste of Chinese piss water over Taiwan beer though.
Taiwan has the perfect environment for fermentation. They also have a sound agricultural biotech base from orchids production to mushrooms as you no doubt know well.

1 Like