JFRV ARC but no degree, am I breaking the law or is my employer?

Foreigner spouses of Taiwanese when they get an ARC it can be based on work or on their marriage. If it’s based on work they get a work permit sponsored by their employer, and bound to them, and if it’s based on marriage then AFAIK they can get something called “open work permit”.

Just to know, what is “work right”? is that the term that appears on their work permit? Never heard of it.

It doesn’t need to be an ARC based on the marriage. Any kind of arc allow a foreign spouse of a taiwanese to work as taiwanese do. When it is based on marriage, it is explicitly written on the ARC that the holder of the card doesn’t need a permit to work.

I guess you know what you are saying. I never heard of this though. I guess I will need to wait to marry you for seeing what it actually says.

I got a JFRV ARC, and I just checked and it does not say anything about work permits on it(unless its only written in chinese)

1 Like

@tando in your face kid!!!

(although now we need somebody who can read Chinese to confirm on this).

In the meanwhile… IN YOUR FACE FUCKIN’ KID!!!


1 Like

Yes, it is written in Chinese for taiwanese employers.

1 Like

Unrelated to this thread, but is it just me or is the ARC card itself bad quality ? I only had mine for about 8 months but its already all messed up on the edges it I will need to replace it soon. As comparison my HKID card I had for 8 years and its still as good as new.

Where would it say this? I cannot find this on either back or front.

I don’t know where on the card it is written, but this page says so.


Found it, it says it under Purpose of residence, but its written with some weird red font which is harder to read than the rest of the text on the card(plus its only in chinese)

holder does not have to apply for a work permit to work

This is correct, the red text on my card says I don’t need to apply for a permit to work.

In most countries, a college diploma is completely different to a degree.

It’s quite simple, you earn a college diploma at college, and a degree at a university.

University has a higher status and is considered a higher level of education than a college.

However, nobody answered the original question and I don’t know why it was marked as solved.

Is there anything specifically in the law that says a teacher at a language school needs a degree or is the degree only required for those applying for the visa? Please resist from going off-topic.

A language “school” is not a school. It’s a business.

I marked it solved because you can work at any business that wants to hire you. You can pump gas or make french fries too. To my eyes, it certainly seems answered when you factor in this little paradigm shift. Your job has nothing to do with the education system. It’s more akin to babysitting or au paire work, thus the police background check. But no, you could have dropped out of high school in Grade 9 and still teach at a Hess-like business with a JFRV.



This changes with country, but I’ll bet the OP has a Certificate (usually 2 or 3 years) rather than Diploma (standard Undergrad, usually 4 years) qualification.
The MOE and MOED (?), existing as they do in a time warp to the 1950s, can’t wrap their stunted little skulls around this concept.



I think I answered.

the school you teach at is most probably a buxiban, short term tutorial center, and governed by Supplementary Education Act. Article 9 of the act says on requirements to teach at buxiban. Degree or diploma is not required for teachers who do not need a work permit.

1 Like

Does a buxiban fall under: supplementary compulsory school, supplementary advanced education school, or short-term tutorial center? If so then Article 9 states that the educational documents are required to be sent to the education department. Unless I’m reading it wrong. Take a look:


Before hiring or employing any faculty or staff member, a short-term tutorial center shall submit to the competent educational authority of the appropriate special municipality, county, or county-level city basic information including the relevant name list, diplomas and certificates documenting education and professional experiences, photocopies of personal identification documents, and attach a criminal record certificate issued by the police within the last three months. If the faculty or staff member to be hired or employed is a foreign national, when initially applying for the work permit for the first time, the center shall also attach a certificate of good conduct certificate issued by the country of issuance of the foreign national’s passport. The competent educational authority of the appropriate special municipality, county, or county-level city shall take the initiative to verify the documentation and may send personnel to conduct a check. The same procedure shall apply when there is any change to a faculty or staff member.

Yes, but whatever degree is necessary will suffice. If one is on a JFRV with open work rights, then submitting a high school diploma would be irrelevant, etc.