Just moved to Pingzhen (平鎮) from the US, would like some advice on meeting people

Hey everyone I just moved to Pingzhen from the states. I’m 24, about to be 25 in October. I was born here but moved to the states when I was like 4. I just moved back not even a month ago and I’m waiting to serve in the military since it’s mandatory. My family has been in Zhongli for many generations so for now I live here by myself. I guess I’m just super lonely right now and I truly feel lost and do not understand Taiwanese culture or Taiwan in general. I can speak Mandarin almost fluently but I can’t read or write at all. I just created this account today lol. I’m seeing if anyone has any advice for me on how to meet people. Preferably foreigners who speak English because that’s basically my native tongue. I would obviously like to date someone here but even just having friends seems so out of sight. I’m currently on tinder and bumble and I never take it serious since even in the states a match doesn’t mean much at all until you talk for a while and actually agree on hanging out. The only thing my aunt has told me is that there’s a lot of foreigners that are near the Zhongli train station. The only idea I’ve come up with is to maybe just roam around there and hopefully talk to and meet people to hang out with or find a possible girlfriend but I’ve been hesitant on that too because like I said I don’t know anything really. The last time I was here was about 7-8 years ago and before that I only came back for a summer every 1-3 years to hang out with my cousin(who know lives in the states). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

10 Likes

What takes you to Taoyuan?

What industry are you working in, or do you wish to work in?

More details about what you’re trying to do here would be helpful.

Guy

1 Like

The foreigners that hang out around Zhongli train station are probably going to be migrant factory workers from South East Asia. They may speak English well, but they probably won’t be using it to talk with their fellow countrymen/woman. My advice would be to find a hobby/something that you like to do, and then look on Facebook for groups that do that thing. There are all sorts of groups, from people that like board games to running and other sports groups, and they generally meet regularly and are welcoming to strangers. Here are few as an example:
Board games: Taipei Board Games and Language Exchange Group臺北桌遊和語言交換團 | Facebook
Running: China Hash House Harriers | Facebook
Football: Super Awesome Yet Casual Sunday Football | Facebook
Note, these are all based in Taipei, you’re probably going to have to come to the city to find activities involving large amounts of English speakers.

6 Likes

Well for now I just work construction with my aunts boyfriend. They’re currently building an “air bnb” type resort up in the mountains of Fuxing from scratch. I make some money through that and I have a bit of money saved from the states over the years. I guess I’m just waiting for them to contact me to serve in the military which is they told me is probably gonna be in January next year. So I have a bit of free time on my hands. It’s been a long time since I’ve been back and I’ve never understood this place. I think I should since I was born here. I currently don’t really have plans to head back to the states in the future. I just think it might be a little less stressful to ease in to my stay here starting with some English speaking friends than to jump straight into trying to meet Taiwanese friends since I can’t read or write at all. I am planning on learning how to though.

6 Likes

Thank you! I’ll make note of this and check it out

1 Like

That is a remarkable place, up in Atayal territory. I wonder if you’ve seen the massive beautiful trees up in Lalashan?

If you’re curious and want to learn more about how this place differs from where your family home is located, I can recommend this open-access book (i.e. it’s free to anyone with access to the internet—yay!). Outcasts of Empire is an academic book, and I don’t quite know if this is “your thing” or not, but you do seem curious to learn, and this book is one great place to start.

Guy

4 Likes

Are we supposed to know where that is? Is that a village in the Central Mountain Range or something?

1 Like

The internet is your friend!

Guy

7 Likes

The are now has Metro station in Chungli so easier access to Taipei attractions. Also Chungli has nice night market and lots of Uni students nearby. Chungli/Pingzhen also lots of nice Hakka food and culture (Pingtung of the North haha). Strong coffee cafe culture, if you go to small cafe and speak Enlgish (and look decent) sure easy to make friends. Lots of cafes in Chungli Metro-Train Station, sogo area and near Uni. Cafes like my Tainan topic cafes full of girls. Northern version of this Cafe in Xinying, Tainan that I Think Women Might Like

I had High School classmate, she went to Uni there so visited sometimes. Nicer than I than I thought, if you go out can make friends since your age is near Uni students age.

4 Likes

Do not go to Taipei main station through Zhongli MRT on the taoyuan line because it’s painfully slow, unless there’s express trains going there.

TRA trains are much faster, and if you have bladder problems there is lavatory on TRA trains, there are none on MRT trains.

3 Likes

Living outside Taipei for a month (Rent car, live random places) - Taiwan / Living in Taiwan - Forumosa

Go to the Conjugal Love farm referenced in the thread. In your neighborhood. Tell them you want to sample the peaches.

1 Like

Yes. It was a town before the merge.

1 Like

If you go to Yongning MRT exit 4 there is a bus going to Pingzhen, take it and go explore PingZhen, bus 709. Lots of passengers take it for some reason, they line up.

1 Like

Which MRT system is it in? Taichung?

Taipei/Xinbei, blue line to Dingpu. I always wondered why people are lining up for the 709 freeway bus to Pingzhen. There are lots of good looking girls/women taking that bus.

2 Likes

Presumably they don’t have bladder problems.

2 Likes

There is a restroom right inside the MRT station, at exit 4.

2 Likes

You like the train, I prefer the ontime Taoyuan METRO and not having wait a long time between trains. Taipei METRO is mostly on time too.

I think we may have found a solution. :joy:

Guy

4 Likes

I am quite curious so I really appreciate this. It’s really breathtaking up there and it’s a blessing to be able to work up there as well. Especially since my aunt’s boyfriend is native and shows me a lot on a daily basis. Thank you, I absolutely will look in to this and hopefully gain some insightful knowledge! :slight_smile:

2 Likes