Ketogenic "Keto" diet in Taiwan

Personally, I have had the best results by going hungry for part of the day Monday - Friday with a very small lunch. Basically, I’m hungry starting at around 2:30 pm and stay that way until dinner. I get a small snack, but it’s usually something that helps only for about 30 minutes. For best results, the snack is something sugar free.

I haven’t tried intermittent fasting in the way most approach it (meals for 8 hours, no meals for 16 hours, for example), but from my experience, I could see how it would work for some.

Going low carb and eating three meals hasn’t worked for me because I always end up getting in some carbs- chocolate, beer, pizza, noodles, cake, etc. Some excuse to indulge always seems to come up. So I go a bit hungry every day as part of my workday routine. It works for me.

1 Like

Cats cannot fast or they go into fatal liver failure. Two meals a day is already pushing it and if I am not up and their bellies full by 7am there are consequences. Don’t ask.

Intermittent fasting FOR HUMANS does have its merits, and of course, it depends on your level of physical activity.

LOL.

1 Like

Picking up my lunch now. It works, that’s all I know. 8 kilos lost and kept off. Starting about a year ago. I could lose 1 or 2 kilos more, but don’t feel any need to do so.
P_20180521_104249_vHDR_Auto

2 Likes

A lot of people mix IF with Keto. https://www.ruled.me/intermittent-fasting-on-keto-diet/
https://medium.com/the-ketogenic-diet-and-intermintent-fasting-bible/the-90-day-ketogenic-diet-intermittent-fasting-experiment-how-does-it-work-d40e9a78f2f1

1 Like

If that were my lunch I would lose some kilos for sure. And I would beg for the gas chamber too.

Ha, ha! No pain, no gain! I have a nice high-carb breakfast, and then I indulge at dinner, almost always with drinks. It doesn’t bother me. I’ve made great gains in sports. For cycling and running, much of the gains was due to reduced weight. It’s a small price to pay, in my mind!

I’ve been doing IF for many years. After a few weeks you stop feeling hungry and can lose a lot of weight. It also gives me energy and focus. I’ve looked into going keto but it’s a little drastic for me. They say IF is a good diet if you like to overeat and eat unhealthy food. That’s me.

1 Like

Eh that’s a little too much milk for me.

At a convenience store, you can have the fried chicken, or a burger and discard the buns, the salad, the hot dogs by themselves. Different jerkies, tuna with veggies, dried tofu and other protein sources.

Yeah LCHF isnt for everyone.Especially if you are doing huge amounts of exercise or marathons. I still would be wary of drinking so much milk though.

A high carb breakfast was making me sleepy no matter the amount of coffee.

Though to be honest, I am still waiting for that hailed clarity of thought people attribute to keto diets to kick in. But I am awake and active, which is already asking too much.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think people should experiment and figure out what works best for them. I also eat huge meals and like to indulge in unhealthy things now and then. So I suffer a bit to allow that.

I ran my last marathon while in ketosis. No bonk. No problems with energy levels. Endurance activities don’t pose a problem but activities that require high amounts of effort over a short period of time might. Thats my experience anyway.

1 Like

I work out everyday on LCHF but I know some professional athletes find it hard to perform 100% without carbs. But they are not really the average person. I believe that most people would benefit from limiting their carb and sugar intake

1 Like

I was on a Facebook group of Keto. All the people on there were morbidly obese! They would fry their everything in butter, eat tons of meat, bacon, cheese and the list goes on.
They would fear carbs like there was no tomorrow… the reality ( that people do not want to accept and I myself too long to accept) is that you need a bit of everything ( carbs, protein and fats) in MODERATION.
There are many “miraculous diets” that promise FAST weight loss that is easy to maintain in the long term, the truth is that FAST and Easy to maintain do not come in the same package.
Everyone’s diet should be a balance of everything without restrictions to sigle food groups, liquids or whatever it is.
People are overweight because they are either eating at a caloric surplus or not excercising to burn the excess calories, or the combination of both.
Weight loss is no rocket science, therefore any diet that will lead you to consume less calories will lead to weight loss, therefore I can see how Keto might bring results to some people.
But… is it healthy? Debatable
Is it substainable ? Hmm rarely

Food consumed in the Keto diet are also very very rich in calories therefore is very easy to reach your caloric daily goal or even go above it causing weight gain rather than weight loss

Examples might be your 2 eggs and 50g bacon fried in butter in the morning that amount more or less to 600 calories or more and that is only one small meal of the day.

We would be a part of a much happier world if people understood that balance eating and moderation really are the way to live healthily and happily.
Keto, Mediterranean, military diet, water fasts, juice cleanses and so on are just the FAST ways to get to the goal and then fall back down

Good luck ! :four_leaf_clover:

1 Like

Insulin is the storage hormone which converts consumed food into glycogen and fat.
Running and aerobic exercises burn off body’s glycogen storage in about 30 minutes. Body can only burn fat after glycogen is completely depleted (if one sustain aerobic exercises for a prolonged interval greater than 30 minutes). Not many people can run none stop for hour straight. Hence, Intermittent fasting is a great way for weight control without strenuous exercise. It is not a fad diet. IF is a change of life style and will forever change the way you view food again.

Fasting for 18 hours depletes body’s glycogen stored in muscles, tissues, and circulation. From the 19th hour and onward body starts breaking down fat stored in tissues and visceral organs. I fast for 23 hours a day and eat a large meal taking in 2000 calorie in one sitting during dinner. I do not eat less, I just eat less frequently. Taking in 3 meals worth of calories in one meal to decrease insulin spike down to once a day. Small frequent meals with multiple spikes of insulin levels is a disaster for weight management.

I weighed 97 Kg last November around Thanks giving time. 5 months or so into my Intermittent fasting using the information I learned from Dr Jason Fung’s book “The Obesity Code” I now weigh 75kg. Whopping 22kg weight lost over the past 5 months.

I drink unlimited amount of unsweetened iced tea, coffee, or water to replace breakfast and lunch. Hunger isn’t an issue once I start to drink 3 liter of fluid a day. I am content once I start peeing clear colored urine. Hippocampus part of the brain takes in thirst and hunger signal which triggers the feeding pattern. Body often confuses hunger and thirst which leads to one stuffing food into one’s face. For years I had mistake thirst for hunger and eat food to quench my thirst which leads to weight gain. I am so glad I discovered IF. I now weigh myself twice daily. Once in the morning before I leave the house and once when I return home from work before dinner. One meal a day keeps my eating simple. Saves time, money, and is a sustainable method of weight control.

I am 180cm and 75kg today (down from 97 kg 5 months ago). My family members have accepted my one meal a day life style and won’t force me to sit and eat with them during break fast or lunch. This life style may not be for everyone. But i am a firm believer in intermittent fasting and now teach Dr Jason Fung’s method to my patients at work. IF is a great way to reverse early signs of type 2 diabetes, lower cholesterol and hypertension. As a medical doctor practicing evidence based medicine , I always do a base line lab work on my patients prior to putting them on extreme dietary modifications. I check their serum CBC (WBC, RBC, and differentials), SMA (including BUN / Creatinine, GOT GPT), Hg A1C (rule out Diabetes) Lipid panels (LDL, HDL, TG, Total Cholesterol), Thyroid panel (TSH, T4), fasting insulin and cortisol level. Then recheck these values every 8 weeks. I may do urine test for ketones on a weekly basis to ensure my patients are achieving ketosis state. My personal contraindications for putting patients on IF are pregnant / breast feeding women. Type 1 Diabetic patients, and patients with renal failure liver failure (Hemo dialysis patients).

Youtube search Dr Jason Fung , Eric Berg, and Thomas Delauer or just buy “The Obesity Code” by Dr Jason Fung on amazon kindle.

Ketogenic diet or not. One meal a day with low carb is a great way to lose weight.

2 Likes

That’s incredible. But I would look sickly if I got down to 75kg. I was 95kg when heaviest and am now 85kg (182cm). Another 10kg down and I would really look like I have cancer or something. Anyway, it’s interesting reading about your experience with IF.

:ponder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4Ug01KkICE

This guy has some interesting advice.

I will try this IF as i’m gaining weight due to my hashimoto.

1 Like