Ketogenic "Keto" diet in Taiwan

Might be… definitely not healthy.
One meal a day is starvation, again the fast way to get the results.
Unless of course you eat all your 2500 calories in one setting which won’t be good for your body and digestion.
It’s like individuals suffering from anorexia, after approximately 4 days of calories deprivation their hunger will be suppressed, that does not mean they are healthy it just means that the body is trying to find a way to adapt to the situation.

Although I think IF can be effective if done properly one meal a day is by no means healthy.

2 Likes

“1/2g to 3/4g protein per pound of body weight”…I mean wtf, why did they mix grams and pounds, it messes with my brain…#triggered

Hey, thanks for the endorsement, ha ha.

Yes, I’m an acquired taste.

2 Likes

So what’s that insulin spike like for you?

I think I would probably go into a food coma within an hour or so. Is that how it works for you? Do you eat in the evening with your family, or just prior to sleeping?

Or is it completely unremarkable?

Intermittent fasting is not for everyone. Physician supervised dietary modification is essential when making such drastic changes. Blood test and urine test at regular intervals to ensure proper liver, renal, and immune function is an absolute must. The buddhists, mormons, jews, christians and muslims all practiced intermittent fasting in the past. Human specie eat one meal a day prior to invention of refrigerators. The food industry changed human feeding behavior within the last 70 years. Obesity was never a problem 70 years ago. Why not give it a try? No one has ever died from not eating enough. Recent studies on intermittent fasting have strong correlation with anti aging, delaying alzheimer’s disease, and reversing early stages of chronic metabolic diseases.
Thin animals often outlive fat animals. As a medical professional, I am an advocate for skipping breakfast. By skipping breakfast, patients are already practicing intermittent fasting by fasting for 18 hour and eating lunch and dinner within the 6 hour window feeding cycle.

1 Like

I’ve only looked at the picture. The guy grows biceps and triceps in 24 hours. Hmmm.

Are you serious?
I had friend suffering from eating disorder who died because they did not eat enough, were malnourished and their organs slowly failed and they heart stopped beating.
But yeah I guess no one you know ever died from it anyways.
No matter how you want to call it, anorexia, one meal a day, extremism, is starvation and WILL lead to death if practiced for long enough time.

Insulin spike is a physiological response that I can’t really feel so I would say it’s unremarkable. I eat dinner with family from 6 to 7pm till satisfied then go to sleep at 11pm. I don’t feel hungry in the evening. The only hunger I feel is around 4pm. I would drink lots of fluid (1 Liter of carbonated water or iced tea) and get over that particular hunger wave. Feeling of hunger reminds me of what it’s like to be alive. Friday is my cheat day when I eat lunch and dinner. I will never go back to eating 3 meals a day from now on. Two meals a day or one meal a day is a sustainable method of weight control for me.

1 Like

This is why physician monitoring is crucial. Anorexia nervosa can be a serious mental disorder. One must stop once BMI (Kg/ M /M) hit around 18. Return to two meals a day once an individual has reached one’s weight goal

Maybe because it is not favoring a healthy relationship with food.
It affects not only how someone views food but also their social relationship with other people and their family.
Eating and eating out, lunch breakfast or dinner is one of the most common activities that people do when they hangout. This has a big take on someone’s social life.

1 Like

yes indeed. Totally agree with you Lilith. But I see so many obese patients at work. Taiwan’s obesity epidemic is on a rise. Hypertension, DM, Hyperlipidemia is becoming a huge problem.

“One study in published in JAMA involving 100 people found that intermittent fasting raised LDL cholesterol (bad cholesterol). Higher levels of LDL cholesterol are linked to increased rates of heart disease and stroke.

The same study also found that the participants following an intermittent fasting diet did not experience any more weight loss than those who simply reduced the number of calories they ate each day.

Finally, people following the one meal a day diet may have an increased risk of binge eating.

Binge eating is a disordered pattern of eating where a person eats unusually large amounts of food in a short period, even after they are full. Some people that follow the one meal a day diet may even develop binge eating disorder.”

Food raises dopamine and serotonin (happy hormone) in the blood stream similar to other indulgences in life. food, exercise, smoking, alcohol, gambling, sex, drug addiction all raise dopamine and serotonin. One must be careful about over indulgence . Gluttony is one of the 7 deadly sins

There’s no right or wrong. I am just sharing a personal experience with you. Feel free to see me at my practice in Taipei. I will be happy to share with you my recent work and patient success stories.

I agree, since 2012 when I first visited Taiwan for holidays and was surprised by swing no overweight people here now I am almost shocked of how far people are becoming.
This is mainly due change of diet though, sugary drinks, fast food and lack of excercise.
No one seems to be aware about calories and calorie counting here that’s why most people seem to overeat highly caloric foods. I believe though this could be solved if people were to eat a balanced diet and excercise regularly, it’s really not that hard.

Fat dietitians and cardiologists, ophthalmologists wearing glasses, and balding dermatologists are very common in the medical practice. Why are there fat doctors? This is why I stepped up and took the IF challenge.

I myself practice IF for short periods of time, not one meal per day though.
I tend to skip breakfast and eat after 3 pm.
Three meals between 3pm and 9 pm dividing my calories between the three ( usually one is something like a Greek yogurt and berry smoothie)
I just rent to loose weight because I eat less and control my calories though, I don’t do low carb personally

I have no idea, but I wouldn’t trust a fat doctor like I don’t trust fat personal trainers haha

Lilith. You and I are both advocates of health and fitness. So glad you are taking the initiative to help others. I am still learning the intricacies of IF and ketogeneic diet. I use evidence based medicine guide lines and laboratory values to ensure patient safety. I would advise patients to stop if they begin to feel ill during the progression. I typically see my patients every 2 weeks or as needed. So far so good. I’ve had no complaints and knock on wood no anorexic nervosa patients yet.

My diet is drink coffee and smoke cigarettes all day and then eat a whole pizza at 8. At that point I have no problem sleeping because i’m basically in an insulin coma. Haven’t felt better in years!

1 Like