Ketogenic "Keto" diet in Taiwan

Use the Harris - Benedict Equation to determine your daily caloric needs to maintain weight.

Harris-Benedict Equation

The Harris-Benedict equation is one of the most popular equations for determining energy needs by nutrition and health professionals. This equation takes into account a persons sex, age, height, weight and level of physical activity. The equation for males is: 66.5 + 13.8 x (Weight in kg) + 5 x (Height in cm); 6.8 x age. The equation for females is: 655.1 + 9.6 x (Weight in kg) + 1.9 x (Height in cm); 4.7 x age. These equations are then multiplied by an energy factor to determining estimated caloric needs. The physical activity factors are 1.2 for sedentary people, 1.3 for moderately active people and 1.4 for active people.

Or just use this caloric calculator from the internet

http://www.calculator.net/calorie-calculator.html

1 Like

I was kidding about the insulin coma. The say IF can lower your insulin sensitivity which is why its an option for people that are borderline diabetic. I lost a lot of weight years ago when I didn’t have money for food. I ate once a day and I realized that I stopped getting the urge to eat. I’ve remand at the same weight for going on 6 years. A couple of years ago I learned that it was an actual diet with some unique benefits.

2 Likes

Regarding insulin, a bit on the famous bulletproof coffee:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BqtuEkx6Sc

A bit on the nay side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFLM55uvL9U

Where is a good italian restaurant in taiwan for the Mediterranean diet?

Atkins died of a fall, as many unfit old people do. But yes, he had had heart attacks and no doubt one would have finished him off eventually. But what does that prove, except that old men die, and that old men in high-stress deskbound jobs tend to die of heart attacks? If he had died of cancer, would that have proven that his diet causes cancer?

I don’t think either Atkins or Ornish ever suggested their diet would help you live forever. Atkins kicked the bucket at age 72, which is a reasonable run. Let’s see if Ornish makes it significantly past that age.

Finally, Atkins never suggested a high-protein diet. That’s just the way it’s been misinterpreted by the media: journalists (and most doctors) simply block out the possibility that he was arguing for a fat-based diet. It’s true that his induction phase was a bit over-aggressive on carb-cutting (most people can actually achieve the desired results without, for example, cutting out carrots) but he was a practical man: he was aiming to ensure that everyone who attempted the diet could lose weight. Without that credibility he would not have been as professionally successful as he was.

I have no particular beef with the Mediterranean diet (or IF) but the Ornish diet suits virtually nobody simply because it’s so austere and bland. Sure, some people like that. However there’s no evidence that it’s an exceptionally healthy way to eat for any random individual. In other words, high-carb vegan might be just the ticket for a smallish minority, while low-carb, moderate-protein, highish-fat (aka ‘keto’) is both palatable and effective for 90-95% of the global population.

This equation is of no practical value.

1. Calculating calories is not necessary if your natural appetite has not been messed up by the Standard American Diet;
  2. It isn’t possible to measure the calorific value in any given meal without sophisticated equipment, and in any case converting that measurement to an estimate of “real” metabolic energy value would depend on a whole bunch of assumptions that may or may not hold true (see 5). For example, the energy value of protein is more-or-less irrelevant because your body simply doesn’t use it as a primary energy source.
  3. Your body will make continuous adjustments to maintain bodyweight homeostasis across a fairly wide range of calorie intakes;
  4. Metabolic efficiency varies dramatically even between apparently similar individuals. Taken together, 2, 3 and 4 mean that it’s impossible to deliver eucaloric meals with any consistency or accuracy.
  5. For the purposes of fat loss (not weight loss), it doesn’t even matter how many ‘calories’ are in your meal. A slice of cheese vs. a portion of rice pudding will, in broad terms, be treated completely differently by your digestion and energy-management machinery, even if they both have the same nominal energy content. Their metabolic fate will additionally vary depending on the content of your typical diet, what you eat with them, your metabolic state at the time you eat, etc etc etc.; for example cheese and bread will be handled differently to cheese and wine.
2 Likes

Cheese & wine = God tier

Cheese and bread = β

2 Likes

Totally agree with Finley. Very good pointers indeed. I also believe calorie counting makes no real world sense. Calories are calculated based on the amount of time it takes to incinerate and burn off food particles. The longer it takes to burn the higher the caloric value. The human body isn’t a stove that burns food particles for energy. The body uses Insulin hormone to store food (proteins , carbohydrates, fats) into glycogen and lipid. Only glycogen and lipid are sources of ATP energy utilized by human being. Over the years scientists use calories to measure food energy content. Scientist should be measuring the amount of insulin spiked after ingesting different serving size of food particle as a measuring tool. The science behind nutrition is neither physics nor physiology.

There’s no perfect diet. No right or wrong when it comes to a dietary life style modification. Always pursue your weight loss journey under physician supervision to minimize the risk of causing real harm to your body.

That’s what I think. The carb manager app I’m using tells says a simple glass of green tea has one carb. I’ve input all kinds of tea including loose tea. Minimal they all have one carb per 6oz.

Screenshot_20180530-201731_Carb%20Manager

1 Like

There stimulant nature would probably burn off more than one carb. Interesting information though. Thanks

That’s a very heavy carb!

I think I want to try the keto diet. I have exactly 2 days for getting fit. After all the praises I have read here I’m sure that two days should be enough.

So… what do I eat tomorrow for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

I have no idea. I think there is already a lack of good italian restaurant in general so I doubt there are any that offer Mediterranean style food. Usually they serve lots and lots of meat

There are like 2 or 3 (authentic) Spanish restaurants in Taipei. Yes, there are also others that are some weird shitty Taiwanese concept of Spanish food. Obviously avoid those run by locals and go to the ones run by Spaniards.

That Taiwanese-style “paella” is the worst.

1 Like

I had a super strange fideua that was totally off. Actually every single dish I ordered (and I ordered many) in this place was totally wrong:

OK, I was going to put a link to the place but either I don’t remember the correct name or it’s been relocated. Anyway, I think it’s this one:

https://www.google.com.tw/search?rlz=1C1CHBD_enTW695TW695&tbm=lcl&ei=YIUPW6XJLMKl0ASR_DA&q=spanish+restaurant+taipei&oq=spanish+restaurant+taipei&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0.36104.37604.0.38139.9.9.0.0.0.0.85.500.9.9.0..3..0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..0.3.168...0i13k1.0.WP-iAVp_SQ0#rlfi=hd:;si:16827784451116943429;mv:!1m3!1d4089.7555355611457!2d121.52475525543366!3d25.05370042642838!3m2!1i955!2i869!4f13.1

They didn’t have NORMAL bread, and when I managed to get some slices (after some awkward conversation with the stAAAAf), I had to pay for it. Spanish food, with plenty of sauce/oil/gravy without bread. LOL.

EDIT: confirmed, that’s the restaurant I meant and it’s been relocated. Garbage.

I was talking about Italian ones. I never had Spanish food here

Well, you said:

I think there is already a lack of good italian restaurant in general so I doubt there are any that offer Mediterranean style food

Mediterranean food includes Spanish food (among others)

Had keto friendly good tasting German sausage, sauerkraut and salad tonight.

4g carbs total net

Der Löwe Bavarian Restaurant 巴獅子德國餐廳
No. 19, Lane 63, Section 2, Dunhua South Road
https://goo.gl/maps/E5A7tzeeYqt

2 Likes

Hi, I’m new here, how do I PM you, like to make appointment?