Kura Sushi - Taiwan's Ultimate Kaiten Chain?

We are arguable now entering a golden age of kaiten sushi (you know, the circle sushi joints where you can have a decent meal without breaking the bank). Chains from Japan including Sushiro and Hama and Kura have entered the market in Taiwan, and appear to be doing quite well, at least when I visit them.

Kura is reportedly now upping the ante, announcing it will open its first overseas flagship store. It will reportedly be the largest Kura Sushi in the world. The lucky city to get it? Kaohsiung! @DKaoshuing hopefully will report back and let us know what he thinks.

Guy

5 Likes

I saw this near the dream mall, on the South End of town. Right now tired or KURA, will go and see if this shop is different. I go more toć‚ćć‚“ć©ć‚¹ć‚·ćƒ­ćƒ¼ Sushiro but so its near and late lunch hours, still busy most days at lunch even with no crazy promos. recently go to more traditional after work food haha

2 Likes

That . . . does not look like Kura Sushi food to me.

I hope you can try out this new flagship store some time after it opens.

Guy

legit pass it on the way to work, iā€™ll try to stop in and give it a go. the place has been PACKED since yesterday whenever i pass by.

2 Likes

Kaohsiung rocking it! Nice to seeā€”love that town.

Guy

1 Like

Since kura and sushiro opened up here, Taiwanā€™s own train sushi joint sushi express has gone down hill big time. Last few times I went in there I couldnā€™t find anything good. Itā€™s like they have just given up.

1 Like

Flagship? I thought that word meant itā€™s the first one in Taiwan?

The term typically means something like ā€œnot just a typical chain store, instead a special version, the biggest or best of its kind.ā€

Example: the UNIQLO flagship store in Ginza in Tokyo; Taipeiā€™s UNIQLO flagship is on Zhongxiao East Road as part of the Mingyao Department Store.

Guy

1 Like

I have always thought those guys suck. Iā€™d rather eat 7-11 onigiri. At least thatā€™s more honest about its industrial nature.

Guy

3 Likes
2 Likes

Yea I mean the restaurant oneā€¦ which clearly ainā€™t no sushiro/kura sushi but it used to be alright for what it is. The take out shop (think its called sushi to go) is crap.

On the subject of sushi, any more yank style sushi places in Taipei or is it still the one place?

I donā€™t know what this means. ā€œYankā€ = American = California style sushi? If so, yes there are, but Kura is not one of them, as it is very much a Japanese operation.

Guy

1 Like

Yank is a secret code word us brits use to refer to america / americans :wink:

So yes, yank sushi means california roll style sushi. Iā€™ve only known of the one place that does it in Taipei -ncis sushi. If there are others options out there i would love to know.

Not in Taipei, but I have to mention this great place in Hualian if youā€™re ever in the area. If you like NCIS, youā€™ll like 121ē¾Žå¼å£½åø

2 Likes

It even has its own thread: :grin:

Guy

1 Like

These places are always so busy at weekends

Yeah completely agree

Here in Japan it is about evenly split between Sushiro and Kura Sushi of the big three. Donā€™t go to Hamazushi.

Youā€™re lucky you got a Kura rather than a Hama.

And yes, there is a la carte menu as well as the sushi train. And of course, never grab stuff from the train. Order a new one which gets delivered right to your table. Much fresher.

2 Likes

Hama Sushi also has its fans in Taiwan (me among them).

The freshness of the seafood at Kura in Taiwan however seems to be a cut above the other two (Hama and Sushiro).

Guy

1 Like

Ktown seems to have a lot of business dealings with Japan so makes sense plus probably easier to find a large venue or make one

2 Likes