Let's list all the places that won't accept ARC

That’s terrible :frowning: In the past, I have had no success with enacting changes in this matter at CHT. PCHome also has the same problem with domain name registration - and their solution was to ask for copies of a passport via fax :frowning:

If you want an alternative provider for Taiwanese domain names, itn.tw is happy to accept ARC.

1 Like

Thanks for your suggestion, I will see how to transfer the name to there.

Received a parking fine recently, apparently a disgruntled neighbor has taken to photographing and reporting illegally parked cars. Don’t have an issue with that, I was illegally parked however the offense took place on September 10th and I received the fine in the post today, therefore there are potentially another 30 or so on the way…The police created an SMS notification system to avoid this type of repeated fines building up before post has been received, it’s here, https://trafficsms.ntpd.gov.tw/NewTaipeiSMSWeb/index.aspx , it’s nice, but it doesn’t accept ARC numbers. Your ARC number is perfectly acceptable when issuing a fine and is nicely printed on the postal notice, just not acceptable to sign up to the notification system…

Complained previously to both immigration and the police department, they insisted twice that an ARC number could be used, I had to take a screen shot of the rejection on the webpage before they admitted it could be not, got a “sorry”. Have complained again.

10 Likes

This website is a great example of why the new ARC numbers will not have any difference to the inability for foreign residents to use websites. The underlying code checks the following:

• ID number is 10 characters long

• First digit is A-Z

• second digit is 1 or 2

• checksum is valid

//身分證驗證或統編
      function ValidPid(sender, args) {
          var ChkID = $('#CPH_Content_txtPid').val().toUpperCase();
          //alert(ChkID);
          if (ChkID.length == 8) {
              //alert('8');
              if (ChkID.search(/^[0-9]{8}$/) == -1) {
                  args.IsValid = false;
              } else {
                  args.IsValid = true;
              }
          }
          else if (ChkID.length == 10) {
              //alert('10');
              var city = new Array(
                      1, 10, 19, 28, 37, 46, 55, 64, 39, 73, 82, 2, 11,
                      20, 48, 29, 38, 47, 56, 65, 74, 83, 21, 3, 12, 30)
              if (ChkID.search(/^[A-Z](1|2)\d{8}$/i) == -1) {
                  args.IsValid = false;
              } else {
                  ChkID = ChkID.split('');//字串分割為陣列(for IE)
                  var total = city[ChkID[0].charCodeAt(0) - 65];
                  for (var intT = 1; intT <= 8; intT++) {
                      total += eval(ChkID[intT]) * (9 - intT);
                  }
                  total += eval(ChkID[9]); //最後一碼(檢查碼)
                  args.IsValid = (total % 10 == 0); //檢查比對
              }
          }
          else {
              args.IsValid = false;
          }

}
3 Likes

95% of ID validations are like this…

@audreyt Can there be an official implementation of the ID check which will validate old and new ID number formats (including ARC ID’s!) in various programming languages as open source project?
Then force all government institutions to use that!
This is a good time since they have to change to new format anyway.

I think only she can help us deal with this properly.

6 Likes

I’ve seen a version of the regex that would work with the new ARC numbers. Is there a national standard library to be used?

var format = new Regex(@"^[A-Z]\d{9}$");

Source: https://frank198978104.github.io/2017/09/22/idcard-and-tax-id-number-rules-for-taiwan/

This does not verify the validity. It does not do the most important part of checking the last check digit, which is a weighted sum of previous numbers (the letters are converted to a number for the weighted sum)

It’s not quite an ARC, but the HSR won’t accept my name.

Shitty English too.

And they want a passport. So safe!

Hey @audreyt, @au, this would be really nice to use my ARC for instead of me taking a trip to Kaohsiung with a passport in my pocket and risk losing it. I would genuinely appreciate this help as well.

2 Likes

Doesn’t your ARC have your passport number on it? Couldn’t you just take that instead if anyone needs proof that the ticket belongs to you? Obviously they need to just accept ARCs on the booking page though.

1 Like

The last thing I want is to show up, an hour away from home and then saying you can’t board cause you didn’t bring the magical red book from distant off fairyland.

2 Likes

Assuming that every English speaker is a tourist so he/she will be travelling with a passport, wanna bet? Pretty sure this is not what the Chinese version says, hence the staff will be as clueless as you are and ask for your ARC :rofl: :rofl:

Is that a new thing?

But, you see, your passport is an official gov’t document and the APRC…hold on, back soon.

2 Likes

Isn’t there some rule that requires foreigners to carry their passport with them at all times…or am I hallucinating that?

1 Like

even if you have aprc/arc? that seems pointless.

To be honest, I may be confusing Taiwan with Thailand. :slightly_smiling_face:

Never thought I’d inform you on anything but it’s just official ID that is required. An NHI card will do the job.

Do you have a regulation you can quote on that? Not that I doubt you, but I’d like to see it in writing. :slightly_smiling_face:

In China.

The “my passport number is here” has worked 95% of the time for me and “this document is from the Taiwanese gov’t but if you want me to go home and get something from another country, I can do that” has satisfied half of the remaining though "here’s a picture (from cloud storage location) has satisfied the rest.

It’s a shame that we have to do such things but I don’t blame employees for such questions as they are simply doing what gov’t regulations tell them to do - it’s the gov’t that doesn’t distinguish between a tourist and a person who has lived in the country for decades.

I have to give it another try but last time I checked World of Warcraft didn’t accept the ARC format.