Let's talk about impeachment

I don’t think Biden is eager for impeachment. He’d just as soon turn the page (and is probably generally against making “impeach the president” a go-to solution). I don’t think even Nancy is in favor, given all the policies to be implemented in a new administration (or all the goodies to be handed out in a new administration, depending on how cynical you are).
Pence, with chants of “Hang the Veep” ringing in his ears, is keeping the 25th Amendment cocked as a warning to Trump. Pelosi is trying to shift the baton to him, but knows she’ll get lynched by the Dems if she doesn’t impeach (I shouldn’t say such things, as now they’ve become a real option, instead of being metaphorical).
I see Pence not unleashing the 25th, and Pelosi passing impeachment to the Senate, where she hopes to make Mitch take the blame for deep-sixing it. If it goes on after the inauguration, then it can take twists.

2 Likes

I’m not impressed with Pelosi. I think she’s all about the political game and getting Trump out, getting back at him, etc. This was most evident to me during stimulus negotiations. She held off on the negotoations in a way that seemed cruel. Basically whatever it took to help get Trump out of office. For this impeachment round 2, I feel she will proceed because there is something to be gained wrt her political goals.

1 Like

What gave you that impression? /s :laughing:

1 Like

Pelosi mob family. Interesting the FBI released docs on her father yesterday too.
Brother got off raping a minor
https://vault.fbi.gov/thomas-dalesandro-jr/thomas-d-alesandro-jr.-part-01-of-01/view
Anyway:

2 Likes

1-3 are outlined in the Former Presidents Act.

4 would need to be imposed by the Senate.

Isn’t there debate about if you can even impeach a President once they have left office?

I believe the impeachment would come in the House and the conviction could occur later in the Senate. (At least that’s the way I have heard it explained.)

Right, I get what the media is mostly saying, Alan Dershowitz seems pretty strong on this point, once he’s left office he’s a private citizen and can no longer impeach someone who is not a part of Government.

The Democrats just announced a single article of impeachment: “Incitement to Insurrection”

They claim strong support in Congress.

The debate has primarily happened online, I believe.

It would be interesting to be a constitutional lawyer at the moment.

I tried to read up on this a bit more - primary sources and not commentary.

What I said earlier appears to be correct though I don’t believe that he would lose the security detail.

Not satire.

1 Like

I heard on NPR this week it’s happened before. One president resigned to avoid being impeached and they kept it going after he had left.
Several federal judges were also impeached after they left or were fired.

The point of doing it is to prevent Trump from ever seeking federal office again. They could just wait to introduce it to the new senate, but they’re giving these Republicans one last chance to stand up to Trump and say goodbye forever. That would be more uniting… Imagine Washington untied by a mutual hatred of Trump. Sounds like a plan

Not according to Rubio. He says it’s dividing.

1 Like

I don’t have to imagine it, that what has happened for 5 years. They never got the Trump supporters to hate him though, with 95% approval rate in the Republican party.

Now they think a unity of unadulterated hatred for him combined with threats of being de-platformed if anyone sides with him, all major corporations joining in the hunt, getting them fired from jobs, affecting their ability to get loans perhaps.

Looks like we are going to be under Democrat leadership for quite a while, the Republicans I think are about to learn a hard lesson. Expect a wave of authoritarianism the like of which we have never seen before.

Some will even cheer it on. Go figure.

How so?

Charging people with crimes because they have evidence to convict them in a court of law? Just spitballing.

Some will even cheer it on. Go figure.

LAW & ORDER!

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) August 31, 2020

2 Likes

Not really. Follow the letter of the law.

I’m not sure there’s a contradiction. I’m saying some people will probably describe people being prosecuted and tried in a court of law, as authoritarian.

1 Like

I guess I missed something. Exactly as you said.