Li-Chan Lin 林麗蟬 First immigrant law-maker in Taiwan

After being so upset with the immigration laws in Taiwan and the discrimination and difficulty for citizenship, I have decided to write to the policy makers, senators etc. In my research I have stumbled upon Li-Chan Lin, a woman who is the first immigrant law-maker in Taiwan. Have anyone heard of her? Her history and what she fights for? She is a KMT party member so I don’t know how open she is to stand for real useful immigration law, or if she is just a remedy to shut mouth foreigners up by the KMT.
By what I’ve read her main focus is immigration and immigrants support. Any information would be useful.

Also, how many of the affected foreigners here would be willing to write to law-makers voicing their immigration concerns? Or how many have already done that? Or have heard of any other policy maker involved in changing immigration laws for the better.

I also came across Hsiao Bi-khim 蕭美琴. It seems her work is focused on citizenship rights, immigration and marriage equality. She is a DPP party member.

1 Like

OMG, dude, you butchered her name badly.

Lin Li-chan (林麗蟬/លីន លីចាន់)

I am writing in English, so first names first, family names last.

Wake me up when a clearly non-asian/huaren gets elected.

1 Like

For that to happen the non-Asian would have to give up their own citizenship first and be willing to accept the non voting 10 year period after that, the non going abroad criteria and a bunch of other nonsense. And then fight for Taiwanese people in the senate. As the NIA numbers show, 92% of people willing to do that are Vietnamese (put up with the nonsense and lose their original passport), and the rest all Asian.

1 Like

non voted 10 years?

I think 70% of all nationalised immigrants are from Vietnam. 90% come from three countries. 91% of all nationalised immigrants are female.
It’s a big hurdle to climb, this lady probably spoke some Chinese but not much. We have to give her kudos for her achievements.
Having an Asian face just makes integration ten times easier (because there’s no initial judgement on sight) although still not necessarily that easy for Asians either given this is an island wiith a very distinct identity (even if not sure if ROC or not ).

After you get the passport you can’t vote for 10 years

Is it not can’t stand for election for ten years ?
Even then it’s a pretty shitty rule.

I stand corrected, you can’t be elected for 10 years or have political participation

Nongovernment advocacy groups such as Forward Taiwan have been presenting our case—and arguing that it is in Taiwan’s interest to reform and treat us better! To their credit they have had the ear of the National Development Council folks, who in turn have proposed policy changes that have in turn been adopted by the Legislative Yuan.

Honestly I’d think that in the current environment contacting Forward Taiwan with our concerns may in fact have a better chance of eventually getting results than contacting individual law-makers, who after all do not represent us as we do not/cannot vote.

Guy

3 Likes

Great information. I will definitely contact them. I will list the major concerns and put them here. For those who want to contribute please list yours too.

1 Like

The NDC and MOE seem to have been behind the push to loosen ARC restrictions . But we need political or societal backing too to change dual citizenship laws and open more. But absolutely.rightz no vote means they don’t care generally. Chinese spouses got preferential treatment cos lots of votes and strong advocacy…

2 Likes

Before writing to them, I’d advise you to take some time to see what they’ve been working on so far. This may give you more context to better frame your proposed changes. Hope this works out!

Guy

1 Like

Surely will do. Thanks a lot for leading to them.

1 Like

NDC yes. But the MOE? My goodness, I assumed they were too busy muddling through the National Taiwan University President election debacle!!!

Guy

Not a problem! Keep us posted on what you find.

Guy

1 Like

I meant MOEA :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That makes more sense. As far as I can gather, Taiwan’s MOE is one of the absolute last government or nongovernment agencies I would expect to be promoting our interests!

Guy

Don’t confuse writing system and language. You are not writing in English, you are writing in romanized Chinese. You should always put the family name first when writing a Chinese or Japanese name, no matter which writing system you are writing it in.