Living as cheaply as possible for a month šŸ˜¬

I think those shops sell the kernels mixed with palm oil and other shit. Much less quantity for the same money and with undesired additives. For me itā€™s a no-brainer.

You think he wonā€™t be spending on other thingsā€¦Be able to stick to that budget ?

Chicken feed store sells corn/maize for cheaper

1 Like

Maybe, but I find two problems with that:

1. Not all kernels pop. Yeah, only some varieties can be used for making popcorn
  2. I find hard to believe that a farming grade product is human consumption grade too. Mental note: avoid any store selling Belgian piesā€¦
2 Likes

Especially stores in Taiwan that sell ā€˜Belgianā€™ pies or ā€˜Belgianā€™ waffles without knowing what they are doing.

Absolutely.
But it might cost you more than in Taiwan.

or Xinyi district or north Taiwan in general.

1 Like

Those are two completely different questions, both completely separate from whether the budget is adequate.

Is $10,000 just for food? If so, you should be able to feed yourself pretty decently with that budget. Itā€™s certainly more than what I have been spending on food monthly. Just curious what your usual food budget is?

4 Likes

I get the impression he meant ā€˜living expensesā€™ - food, power, water, transport etc. Presumably thereā€™s nothing he can do about the rent, and thereā€™s not a lot of leeway for saving money on bills.

Oh. Well thatā€™s a whole different story, then, isnā€™t it? Maybe heā€™ll clarify.

Iā€™m just going on the fact that he struggles with budgeting already, therefore 10k is going to cut it mighty fine. Thereā€™s always other expenses to consider.

Buy a bag of rice, a can of milk powder, lots of eggs, beans, flour, oats, peanut butter, chocolate paste, butter, pasta, tomatoes, broccoli, peas. Spend the rest on chicken or pork meat.

Also, skip a meal. Even if you eat more on your other meals, you wonā€™t make up for the difference. You will get used to it in a day or two or three. I do not eat until around 2pm every day.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the help randos on the internet :slight_smile:

The reward for saving so much money beer comes to mind.

Yeah, it happens. Running out of money in foreign country bc you pissed it away on one night of drinking isnā€™t a red flag. Itā€™s a tapestry. Good luck to you.

1 Like

Perhaps you are being more practical and Iā€™m being more academic. When a rando on the Internet tells me they have a certain budget, Iā€™m going to assume thatā€™s their real budget. Iā€™m not going to assume a lower budget because they might be bad at budgeting. Iā€™m not their mom.

1 Like

When is the next payday?

Itā€™s still over 300 a day so I think itā€™s fine.

Breakfast = 60-100 at a shop

Lunch= 100

Dinner= 100

It should be plenty

Breakfast - pretty much anything you order is under 100 at normal breakfast shop

Lunch- pork buns, dumplings, small eats (like pork rice) are all under 100

Dinner- same options as lunch.

If you can skip lunch, it gets you 150 a meal which would improve the quality of two of your meals. Can get a full set for 150 and many places

2 Likes

I guess op doesnā€™t have a credit card?

I can only think ofā€¦

2 Likes

Or has already maxed out his credit cards.

Or is smart enough to realize that living cheaply for one month is way better than taking years to pay off one month of his normal lifestyle.

So many possibilitiesā€¦