Mary Jane Pizza

A bright new contender emerges in the Taipei pizza wars. It is located in the Shida area and is called Mary Jane pizza. Mighty, mighty tasty and reasonable prices. I really dig the mushroom and pesto pizza. Small pizzas start around NT$140, and are big enought for one person to get full. The daily soup rocks! I find myself going here for the soup as much as for the pizza. I think the owner plans to start offering pizza by the slice in the near future. Open until 10 I think. There are also daily specials. My only complaint is the lack of draft beer, had to settle for hoegarten by the bottle.

Address:51 Yunhe St.
On the alley one block North of the 7-11 on shida rd.

[quote=“chainsmoker”]A bright new contender emerges in the Taipei pizza wars. It is located in the Shi-Da area and is called Mary Jane pizza. Mighty, mighty tasty and reasonable prices. I really dig the mushroom and pesto pizza. Small pizzas start around NT$140, and are big enought for one person to get full. The daily soup rocks! I find myself going here for the soup as much as for the pizza. I think the owner plans to start offering pizza by the slice in the near future. Open until 10 I think. There are also daily specials. My only complaint is the lack of draft beer, had to settle for hoegarten by the bottle.

Address:51 Yunhe St.
On the alley one block North of the 7-11 on Shi-Da Rd.[/quote]

Mary Jane huh. So how good was the high?

BTW: Hoegaarten is not a beer that compliments pizza, and I should know as I’ve already established myself as being the ultimate restaurant critique on these forums.

Wrong word. you mean complement.

Would that be Jane, as in well Jane? There’s really only one.

Great to hear she’s kicked off her pizza joint. Might keep her busy enough to leave poor old Chaski alone.

I never said that.

HG

Does it have anything to do with that 80s group, the Mary Jane Girls, or their smash hit, “In My House”?

I thought it was because they use MJ as seasoning instead of basil. :slight_smile:

[quote=“terror firmer”]
BTW: Hoegaarten is not a beer that compliments pizza, [/quote]

I would disagree.

I don’t agree either on the Ho-garden thing either. Goes down a treat with a pizza. It’s in bottles and a different beer altogether from the draught stuff.

I’ve had a few pizzas in there and they’re excellent. You won’t get a better pizza at the price. Plus they have good wine, including a lovely Pinotage the last time I was in there.

I am glad to see the price of a decent pizza come down to around NT$150. I would definitely be popping in there before a Shi Da area pub crawl.

If this comes with toppings then that is a good deal. As soon as I can I’ll check it out and let you guys know what I think, so you can decide whether or not it’s good based upon my opinion. (Yes, it’s true, I’ll do it just for my legion of fans who post here.)

[quote=“daltongang”][quote=“terror firmer”]
BTW: Hoegaarten is not a beer that compliments pizza, [/quote]

I would disagree.[/quote]

Please, please - stop! Enough with the specifics already! You’re offering too many alternatives!

Amber ale: A good all-around beer for any food that isn’t sweet – something sweet will detract from the maltiness in the beer. It complements sandwiches, hearty soups and pizzas. Also a good thirst-quencher for barbecue or Mexican food.

But, I agree… the Hoegaarden goes well with pizza too.

Tried Mary Jane’s recently. Not a bad effort and the Hoegartten does go well with the pizza.

My only complaint is my usual complaint about pizza: not real pepperoni. Please don’t call it pepperoni if it’s really salami or a type of sausage. I would have ordered something else if I had known…

Was in there the other night. Once again, tasty cheap pizzas and good wine. Nice soup too.

Does anyone know if these guys have a website?
I looked, but I couldn’t find one.

Don’t think so. You should go there and take it up with Jane. Come to think of it, why doesn’t Jane post here?

Great pizza by the bye.

HG

i will second that Mary Jane’s is very good - nice pizza and nice price - what moe can you ask for!

Good pizza overall but a little cheap on the toppings. The Greek has sprinklings of feta cheese the size of corn kernels. And maybe 6 on the whole pizza. :s

They have a lunch special for soup/pizza(pepproni sort of :wink: ) for 180. The soups are great and I’ve always enjoyed talking to Jane or any of the other people who work there. If you go there try the mozzarella it’s outstanding, the crust is a bit too thin to properly support it but it’s delicious.

I went there tonight after a long absence. I’ve been a fan for a while but I was a tad disappointed tonight.
The toppings were laid so thin, it was like a famine meal. It was as if someone had spread a quarter of a cm. of sauce on a piece of Wassa bread.
Perhaps I just got them on a bad night.

That’s how I’ve found it too.

Stingy on the toppings and often out of main ingredients.

Visit #1 Waitress: “Oh basil is too expensive because of the typhoon.” (like this is the paying customer’s issue)

Visit #2 Waitress: “We are out of Feta but we can use mozarella, ok?” (for Greek pizza)

Visit #3: Waitress: “We don’t have the pesto sauce today.”

Conclusion: Never returning.