Mexican Food in Taipei

New place.

Maybe called Masa Tacos.

Maybe at this exact address but definitely micro-close.

Definitely across the street from Burger & Co. Looks like a big kitchen.

Near No. 56, Tongan Street, Da’an

2 Likes

Thanks for that, tango42! I’m very interested in hearing about the food quality and portions to price ratio. I wonder how they serve the chorizo, or whether that’s takeout for home cooking. I imagine that pictured menu is a list of fillings for tacos or sth, and they don’t just serve you some chorizo on a plate, LOL. Saw their FB page here too: https://www.facebook.com/masatongan/

1 Like

Masa seems crowded always. Can’t just be random people walking past because other nearby places aren’t crowded. And can’t just be people coming for taco or other taco places would be just as crowded which they aren’t.

They must have good social connections and good advertising.

3 Likes

What do you think of their food?

Guy

Haven’t tried the food yet.

Had the best tacos I’ve had in a long time this past weekend at the Huashan park art festival. Homemade corn tortillas and delicious, fatty carnitas pork, with actually spicy and good hot sauce to boot. Tacos Luca
I’m surprised at how many Mexican places there are in Taipei nowadays! I guess our prayers have been answered :pray:

2 Likes

Playa Tacos near liuzhangli station is the place to go. Authentic Mexican. The taste is so authentic I think everyone should be spreading the word about Playa Tacos. You’ve got to try it.

Great atmosphere too!

1 Like

Average at best. Didn’t feel authentic.

It’s a tiny room with cheap furniture.

I found out the Teotihuacan about 3 months ago. Not bad!
Just went again two days ago. It’s a good option if you are in Taipei.

墨西哥料理 Restaurant & Bar
No. 9號, Lane 21, Section 1, Anhe Road, Da’an District, Taipei City, 106
02 2708 1141
https://maps.app.goo.gl/qZKVrunsnmfJoKCU6

1 Like

And if you’re willing to wait half an hour to be served. Place is a joke if you ever go there with a party more than 3.

Teotihuacan’s original location off Jianguo (near the public library) has been turned into a vegetarian Mexican restaurant. I found out several weeks ago when I sat down, opened the menu and asked the server what kinds of meat the burritos had. He said if I wanted meat, I should go to Zhongxiao-Dunhua (the current location). I said it was too much trouble and decided to give the vegetarian dishes a shot. Turned out to be quite good actually. I think the two places have the same owner.

2 Likes

I was there just recently and there were four of us. It didn’t take any longer than any other restaurant and it was lunch time! It was similar in my other visits too.
Perhaps you got unlucky…

2 Likes

Masa is damn good. Easily the best I’ve tried in Taiwan. A couple years back there were a couple guys from Southern California doing amazing tacos in the same area. I wonder if this is their second go…the name escapes me, maybe someone else remembers.

Anyway, these are really great. The place was jammed on a Tuesday evening and there was a small line. Service was fast and we were in and out within 30 minutes.

They make their own corn tortillas from locally sourced corn and they are on point. We tried one of each and they were all delicious. Currently they have chorizo, carne asada, beef tounge, carnitas, and al pastor.

Open Friday through Tuesday from 5 until midnight, closed Wednesday and Thursday.

I will try La Playa but I’d be pretty surprised if they were better.

9 Likes

It looks damn good. That look of that red sauce is making my heart beat faster

1 Like

It’s part of a promotion…buy one of each taco you get a small take home bottle. They have mango, their regular house, and the last one escapes me. We ate with the regular house one though and it was very good… especially good on the chorizo and carne asada. A little goes a long way.

Looks great. I heard they are only open dinner time after 5pm???

Yup, 5-12… closed Wednesday and Thursday.

1 Like

Agreed. Went last wk, was great!

1 Like

Went to Masa last night. They are the best I’ve ever tasted in Taiwan. Perfect tortillas.

5 Likes

Went to Masa last night too. May have just missed the both of you @squall1

I’m no foodie when it comes to tacos, but it was pretty damn good.

3 Likes