Mexican Food in Taipei

Ill have to check this place out. Went to King Taco twice in a row, both thwarted because 1. I got there 7 minutes after they stopped serving lunch and 2. because apparently they’re not effing open.

At this point, they can sink or swim without my patronage.

Serving al pastor tacos today.

Where?

Don’t tease us like this!

Guy

Luca! In Xindian!

Tomorrow too.

1 Like

Why is Masa so famous? They don’t even have a sign and are only open a few hours evenings.

Mexican food isn’t that popular or other places would be doing well.

The tortillas are made from Taiwanese corn. The owner says it is very labor intensive and they hope to expand their hours soon. Their tortilla is unique. There are many Mexican places here that are OK but not great. El Sabroso has great tacos but it is really difficult to buy them only on Tuesdays and you will wait a long time for your order. Usually, I make my own but I do think Masa’s tortillas are the absolute best. I just bought a case of masa harina from Florida bakery because this corn flour seems to be missing at Jason’s or CitySuper since September.

1 Like

I heard that the owner was at MUME, a Michelin starred darling perhaps only second to the star power of RAW in Taipei’s culinary firmament.

I guess this means we now need to refer to this new celebrated taco joint as MASA. (hat tip to @Brianjones who I know will approve). :grin:

Guy

1 Like

Yeah SHEEP. :grin::joy:
It’s funny though these places with no signs…They depend on the star power of their owners. Proudly displaying the fact that they don’t need to display a sign.

1 Like

Just to be clear: my remarks about fame are not intended to disparage the quality of the goods sold.

Everyone I’ve heard from says these are the best tacos they’ve found.

Guy

How much are they ?

If you are referring to the price of tacos, I heard NT$90 a pop.

Not cheap, but if it’s good stuff I am willing to sign off as . . .

Guy

That’s cheap. oh wait…That’s a single taco ?

It seems people should have tried to make proper tacos before then but probably labour intensive and expensive.

Same with Italian restaurants. Love the places that make their own pasta as regular pasta is so bland

Yes.

But hey if you’re looking for cheap, why would you be rolling with the UPPER CASE crowd and eating at a place started by a former MUME chef? :grin:

Guy

Free Corona?

I don’t know what is MUME and don’t care. I only care if the taco is good. Making it from corn is something different here I suppose most places being very lazy.

I had food from them in a market of some kind and it wasn’t bad.

Went to the restaurant and…no idea how they remain in business.

I like this place. Really hope they hang around as the guy seems like a good guy who is trying to make it work - I need to go back.

Just to make things clear: in the first part of his post, Terry B is referring to an observation made around 76 posts ago in July 2020 by tango about “a lot of awful reviews.” The establishment discussed here is Teotihuacan 墨西哥料理 Restaurant & Bar, not the above mentioned MASA.

Cheers,
Guy

1 Like

Anyone tried the cheek, tripe, ox tongue, or ear at Masa Taco?

Tongue is good, but it needs a little bit of hot sauce to make it sing…and/or lime. I haven’t tried the others you asked about.

Nope. But I will point out they’ve changed their hours, and are now open from 11:30am to midnight, closed Wednesday and Thursday. At least according to Google. But definitely open at lunchtime on Sundays.

2 Likes