Mexican Food in Taipei

You are confusing South America with the American South. Neither of those places are in Mexico, however.

This is my new favorite (least bad?) “Mexican” place in Taipei. It’s not great, but it beats the alternatives.

I guess you were not around during the bad old days were you?

Fonda is a great leap forward compared to then. :slightly_smiling_face:

Guy

Like I said, it’s the new least-bad. It’s a low bar, but it’s all we’ve got.

Honestly, I thought the enchiladas were not even good by Taiwan standards. The tacos were good, though— maybe at least on par with Luca’s back when he used to do stuff in Taipei.

People mentioning Twinkiez and Macho should be put out of their misery. Those aren’t tacos.

Eddy’s is still my tolerable-ish standby due to location if nothing else.

Looking forward to the festival tomorrow. Hoping to find some new options!

How is Luca doing with his Xindian District Hall storefront? Love his tacos, love his tortillas, but I haven’t been since spring time.

Guy

New place opening in Maji.

Tacos N Taps

3 Likes

Is there a taco fest at Yuanshan this weekend?

@icon have you heard anything?

Guy

There was one a few weeks ago. I’ll check if there’s anything else coming up.

1 Like

I’ve been told there is one at Yuanshan this Saturday starting 6pm. I can’t find anything online about it.

Azucar all you can eat in 2 hours Saturday and Sunday.

2 Likes

The Tavernist is doing a Mexican themed meal set.

Avante garde high end Mexican but very tasty. Freshly made tortillas on site.

The Tavernist
02 2779 0688

5 Likes

Fonda red and green enchilada.

Tried to get a picture but it disappeared too fast.

1 Like

Nobody wants to look at your slobbery plate, bro… :face_with_spiral_eyes:

1 Like

I thought it would be good marketing.

1 Like

Good marketing for food is appetizing.

1 Like

Is this the new Mexican place near Chiang Kai shek?

1 Like

There are two Mexican restaurants in that CKS Memorial area on Roosevelt Road.

This one with the great sit-down plates is FONDA MÉXICO 豐富墨西哥菜

The one that’s more of a grab and go limited seats is NALA’s Mexican Food

2 Likes

Judy’s Cocina

Newly opened. Nice food. Lunch, late night, and happy hour specials. Open lunch until late.

5 Likes

Ha! I should have known that @tango42 would be all over this place, months before I had a chance to visit . . .

Judy’s Cocina, located in the same space as the sadly departed To Go Nomad (No. 43號, Leye Street, Daan District, Taipei City), had some big shoes to fill given the latter’s almost obsessive commitment to excellence. Based on a preliminary visit, I can say that this commitment has carried over with the new proprietor Judy, who has nicely redesigned the space to add seating, a public restroom, and a range of drinks for folks who are into such things.

Judy is also a friendly and engaging host who speaks openly about her love of Mexican food and the amazing foods of the US southwest, especially in New Mexico. With this attitude and approach, her shop is a welcome addition to the growing range of Mexican options in Taipei and environs, serving very good food at reasonable prices.

For newcomers, closest MRT access would be via Liuzhangli Station on the Brown Line, or via any bus that can take you near the Keelung Road / Heping East Road / Dunhua South Road triangle.

Guy

5 Likes