Minimium wage for Foreigners working in Broadcasting

Ask her to get married …

Yeah, Ike, chill! Don’t you know some people like banging their heads against walls? :wall: :crazy_face:

(I should know, being one of them…)

:thinking:

Oh, that central Yuan. It will probably get a generic response from some staffer, unless this is a special Yuan I haven’t heard of. Let’s not start calling “Executive” something that looks a lot like “Control”. :slight_smile:

Told him so already. At this point, his best bets are:

1. Get married. Work for a low salary. Hope marriage stays together until he can get permanent residency or citizenship.

2. Save money and invest in making his own content production company. There may be incentives in Taiwan for that.

1 Like

Well, I can see why you’d be willing to work for such low pay in Taipei, then. That work experience would probably get you a much better job, with a much higher salary, within three years. Possibly sooner.

Also offers a terrific way to develop professionally. All you have to do is work very hard.

It makes sense if you think of the Taiwan job as an investment in your career. Good luck!

Do you think the offer from them does not need to be doubt?

I haven’t followed this thread closely, so I’m not sure what would cause the OP to doubt the offer. But it’s a always good idea, as a potential employee, to perform your own due diligence. If you sign a contract you should hire your own lawyer to look it over for you first.

If it’s a new position due diligence can be difficult, but if you’re replacing someone you can ask the employer for contact information about that person. In the US there is a website called Glass Ceiling Glassdoor that also offers company reviews by current and former employees (which should be read with a grain of salt, for obvious reasons). If you have some work experience already, and if you read between the lines, you can get a very good idea of what the new company is like as an employer.

Well for starters the salary is well below minimum for a foreigner, effectively blocking them from applying for a work permit so he can perform his job legally.

It is low even for a local.

Is it a “temporary” or trial salary?

Obviously the person they hire for this position will grow the company - or not. It’s possible that anyone they hire will be hired on the basis of a merit probation, but if they deliver results then given the job description the salary would be boosted very quickly. If OP does a great job then they have every incentive to keep him, including salary boosts.

In any case OP gets a terrific opportunity, chock-filled with ways to develop professionally.

And, what taiwanese government wants by the gold card program may be already developed people…

Yep, probably so. Less program risk for Taiwan if the Gold Card applicant’s CV already shows the requisite professional development.

How does this work when it comes to factory workers? Are factory workers here on some other type of foreigner visa?

It is an illegal salary. He cannot work here without matching the minimum salary. They are not willing to pay for it. This is not an opportunity. It is bait and switch and cheating. They smell his desperation and want to abuse him.

Of course. Blue collar is a different kind of «visa». We call it indentured slavery for a reason. They pay over 5000 USD for an intermediary to get them a job. They are locked up in factories or homes with a non enforceable one day off per month. Their minimum salary is somewhere under 18k, of which they may not see a penny for a year or two while they pay intermediary fees, food and lodging to the factory owners and other living expenses. Yes, holding to their passports is still illegal but happens a lot they suffer all forms of abuse and plain exhaustion with little legal recourse. They cannot switch jobs legally which is why do many «run away» as last resort and keep working under the radar.

1 Like

Jesus Christ. That’s upsetting.

It is a fu&$%#¢@ human rights nightmare.

What type of visa are they here on though? Or how does that work on the Taiwan government side of things?

How is it legal to hold their paychecks for over a year?

White collar workers get this one.
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1090287&ctNode=30085&mp=2
How does a foreigner renew or apply for an ARC?

Blue collar workers get this one.
https://www.immigration.gov.tw/ct.asp?xItem=1090281&ctNode=30085&mp=2
How does a foreign laborer renew or apply for an ARC?

this is how they supposed to be managed.

https://www.wda.gov.tw/en/News.aspx?n=608F56E26D137607&sms=71A16EC08E376DF7
Management of Foreign Workers

still a no go for mine

I dunno how am I going to go around it.

Get married dear. Bite the bullet. It is the only way.

Save money for a year expenses and take the jump.

Can’t get married anymore
we broke off.