Mister Donut

Has anyone made some stupid comment about not understanding doughnut culture yet?
Cuz I DO. In Lousyana we would sometimes get up early and go sit outside waiting for DunKin to open. Fresh, hot, delish that melt on your tongue… oh yeah. Sipping a hot coffee in the car chatting with my mom while waiting for the light to turn on… those are memories I will take to my grave. (I hope)

Maybe the waiting in line with friends is the same??

And down in New Orleans we often had lines for a block wanting for Cafe Du Monde’s beignets…yeah baby

[quote=“SuchAFob”]
Maybe the waiting in line with friends is the same??
[/quote]No it’s not. But it’s ok because you demonstrate decent knowledge and appreciation for the Donut culture. You can’t always be right. :wink:

bobepine

I heard soneone say that there was speculation (How safely can I word this??) that people were paid to stand in line to create that certain cachet…

[quote=“Little Yellow Dog”]I heard soneone say that there was speculation (How safely can I word this??) that people were paid to stand in line to create that certain cachet…[/quote]Hmmm. What would one get paid for doing that?.. A free donut? :noway: Little Yellow Dog, you’re absolutely brilliant! :laughing: You figured it out. :wink:

bobepine

[quote=“914”]It hasn’t died down at the Taibei Main Station New World Shopping Centre location. This was taken on Feb. 26, 2006! :astonished:
[/quote]
Aren’t the queuing in the wrong direction, away from Mr. Donut?

[quote=“Rascal”]
Aren’t the queuing in the wrong direction, away from Mr. Donut?[/quote]

The line snakes back.

A bear claw is a hunk of donut without the hole and it has cinnamon on it.
I don’t think Mr. Donut makes them, and if they did I doubt they would do it right.

Maybe it’s time to get myself some glasses … :blush: :wink:

:smiley:

A bear claw is a hunk of donut without the hole and it has cinnamon on it.
I don’t think Mr. Donut makes them, and if they did I doubt they would do it right.[/quote]

Right. Roll the dough thinner than for a donut. An oval about 8" by 4". Spread a thin layer of melted butter over the oval and a sprinkle of cinnamon and sugar. Fold it in half so it’s about 4X4 and roll it again just to seal it. Then cut 5 short “fingers” into one end. Deep fry. Before it cools completely, dip the top side into a sugar glaze. Enjoy.
Been awhile for the glaze but as I recall, I just mixed 1/2 condensed milk and milk with powder sugar until it’s about the consistency of soup. Real thin. Make sure all the sugar is disolved. Ready to go.

My wife and I made a run to the Mister Donut in Taipei Main Station on Tuesday, had to wait in line for a grand total of 15 minutes. When we got to the counter, I have to say, I was pretty impressed with the selection of donuts. The donuts were pretty damn good too. Not as good as Tim Horton’s though, of course…

Rob, you rule! Thanks for watering the seed of hope. :wink:

bobepine

actually, Mister Donut is nothing special in my pov… just a lot of choice

and for coffee, I still preffer the expresso and egg tart combination (for sure that 150 years of partnership can’t be wrong)

My pretty young assistant is a complete and utter sugar junky. She occasionally brings the chocolate donuts from Mr Donut when she comes to work. It’s nice to have a 4 oclock tea and a donut.

They’re not as good as Horny Tim’s, but a nice snack. I wouldn’t wait in line very long for one.

Inspired by this thread I bought some dounts at the Breeze Center outlet (no queue even during lunch time) end of last week.
They were ok but nothing to rave about IMO.

For those interested, a new Mister Donut has opened up directly beside the Kunkuan MRT Station, Exit 1.
We were there today, short line, in and out in about 3 minutes.

[quote=“Josefus”]For those interested, a new Mister Donut has opened up directly beside the Kunkuan MRT Station, Exit 1.
We were there today, short line, in and out in about 3 minutes.[/quote]
Do you mean Gongguan? :s

You say tomato, I say tomatoe. Or something like that. Yeah, Gongguan. :raspberry:

I love Mister Donut!!! They make this round donut that looks like a chain of little balls stuck together and all covered with a dusty sandy coloured spice/flavouring. It is very chewy and the dusty sandy thing tastes great. That’s my favourite donut and it doesn’t taste like any donut you’ve ever had. Everything else there is just ok.

So we were at the breeze center last night doing some shopping and catching a movie. I saw Mister Donut and couldnt pass up the chance for a fresh donut. Man what a let down!

I was hoping for a oldfashioned glazed or a applefriter or maybe a maple bar and what I got was a sorry excuse for a donut! The only old fashioned they had was regular and chocolate. I opted for the chocolate. The thing (not even worthy of being called a donut) was only barely 1/4 dipped in chocolate that didnt even taste like chocolate. The texture of the donut was like drinking a flat soda…sure the taste is there, kind of, but the texture is all wrong! The rest of the donuts they had there didnt even resemble anything I ever thought of as being a donut.

What a let down :frowning:

Anywhere else in Taipei you can get a decent donut?