Mister Donut

You’re new in Taiwan, right?
You’re in for a lot of lets downs I’m afraid. Wait until you bite into what looks like a really tasty pastry only to have red bean clog up your mouth.

Or chew on what looks like a nice smoked sausage, but is as sweet as a candy cane.

Or dig into what looks like a nice steak, just to realize it’s some piece of muscle cut off the arse-end of a donkey, a very old donkey.

I had some semi decent donuts in a place in Taizhong not long ago… but maybe I don’t remember what a good donut is anymore…

My gf and I went to Canada last year and stopped by Tim Hortons.

She tried the donuts and thought they were too sweet. :loco:

Donuts are supposed to be sweet. I’ve also made cakes from a Betty Crocker mix in the past and heard the same thing.

I find that strange.

Those things are supposed to be sweet.

Sometimes when you go to a restaurant they give you free Black/Red tea. That often is like pure liquid sugar but I never hear any complains from locals here.

To each their own.

Mr. Donut’s donuts are usually too “empty” in that I am not left with any particular taste that I would write home about. Too bready maybe?

Mister Donut is an aquired taste people. Though I love timmys as well. And Krispy creme. drool.

Now what I don’t get is, how come they don’t make a good chocolate chip muffin? Timmy’s has awesome muffins with a nice crispy top and soft doughy inside.

Mister Donut is definitely going downhill fast. Has anyone seen there flavor changes? It seems like most of the good ones have been done away with. Tried a chocolate one which tasted like rubber and not very much chocolate or sugar. Wrote the Taiwan headquarters and they said it was Japan’s decision as it is a Japanese company. Not sure about Dunkin Donuts. Have not been there for awhile.

Mr. Donut gets a lot of heat, I’ve always thought it’s pretty good, for what it is. Haven’t been for a while. I like the coffee with free refills.

I only went to Dunkin once here, it was virtually inedible. Again the coffee is ok though.

I love those things! I think they’re called karuko or some such thing. A local friend told me that they’re soy-based. I just know that they’re chewy and lovely! I like other Mister Donut stuff, too, more than Dunkin’, anyway. (Nothing could ever beat Timmy’s, though. Think they’d sell me a franchise over here?)

Agreed. The last Mr Donut I went into caught fire.

A very Japanese affair. It was in Kagoshima and following a couple of muffled shouts, smoke started coming out of the kitchen and then filled began filling the customer area, from the ceiling first. Flames could be seen through a hatch. Not a word from the Jap customers - they just finished their donuts with superspeed and calmly left trying to pretend they weren’t in a hurry, but with eyes darting back and forth. The curtain of smoke began descending as it cooled. I was near the door so didn’t worry. Eventually some “shhh shhh shhh” of a fire extinguisher, lots of choaking, aircon revved up and things began to clear. A guy appeared from around the side with some extra donuts which he presented us with “sabisu” (“service”). It was as if nothing had happened - though the place was closed for the rest of my stay.

You don’t hardly have to wait in line at all. It doesn’t seem right.

Mr. Donut is nice, but it’s a little too expensive. Got two of those tiny little chocolate thingys and a cup of coffee the other day and it was like $130. I was wakling around Shi-Da the other day and found this woman selling these fried dough clumps that look like two baseballs joined together, friend to golden brown and covered in table sugar…from that point on I decided that if cravings for donuts ever again I’d gladly get those as substitutes for the real stuff.

You can hardly do something wrong with that … they are pre-filled filters and you just have to fill water … let them drip and hey, there’s your coffee … :unamused:

I hope her frying oil was still of recent date and didn’t look like tar … :whistle:

It wasn’t intended as a huge compliment… but I still beg to differ!

Man, I love them lobe donuts.
REAL good with cold milk…

Fuck Dinkin Donuts, it’s like a buck a donut there, fer Chrissakes…
They should change their slogan to
“Sure we’re G_dawful expensive, but we use half the sugar!!”

So that’s what they mean by “I’ll bet you dollars to donuts”!

I know…one of the risks you have to take when you don’t eat fried foods at a big-name fast food chain. But again I eat donuts and fried chicken so rarely these days it probably makes a little difference.

Anyone been to a Mr Donut in Taipei recently? Still long lines? I would guess not but may be wrong. How’s the quality?

Not bad if you like their spongy, chewy style donut. I’m kind of fond of the texture, myself. I also like how they’re not as overwhelmingly sweet as your typical donut.