Most Offensive or Amusing Store name in Taiwan

How about a store that sells Antique “Reproductive Furniture”?

A sign in a hospital in Taipei where my girlfriend went for her health check before her ARC application read “Beast Feeding Clinic”.

Face it guys, it’s an uphill battle for all of us teaching English here!! :unamused:

Which hospital in Taipei?

Here! Someone else saw the sloagan

“Young boy kept for sexual purposes”

on a little boy’s shirt:

[Forumosa - Taiwan's largest and most active Taiwan-oriented global online community in English … aef4d043b2](Slogans to stir the heart!

ZhongSongDong or what the poster’s name is. Sorry forgot.

Well, maybe he saw my nephew in Kindergarten, who is wearing such a shirt. I told his mum, but she thinks it’s fun.

This is (tragically) not off color, but Evergreen (EVA Air) has recently made the enlightened (?) decision to change the name of their package tour program from “Evergreen Holidays” to “Evasion”…yes, a native English speaker (not just me, either) did tell them beforehand, but they “knew better”. :noway:

Their ad campaign should be hitting the Bannan line of the MRT this week or next. :blush:

Evacuation would have been a better choice.

You forgot the accent over the “e” in evasion, making it a French word, which it is in the campaign.
The only foreign editor at EVA protested loudly (and I concurred) that it was totally unacceptable, but in typical Taiwan corporate fashion, the big boss wanted it.
They have a mascot called Mr. K (Ketamine?) who is a cartoon character who looks like a backpacker…he’s making that two-finger + thumb sign which means either something cool or not.
One person’s missive to EVA, in Chinese on the issue, is circulating in high circles, but since they have already sunk millions into the harebrained scheme, expect to be evaded for some time to come.

little western-style roasted meat stand opened up here on shipai road, they have two big well lit signs with a single english word, and i quote,

meat.

[quote=“Canucklehead”]The most amusing store name I have seen was for a children’s clothing store aptly named “Les Enphants”, with an elephant over the name.
I thought that was pretty clever. (les enfants, being French for children)[/quote]

And the “ph” in the name is shaped like an elephant!

What does the clever word play and nice logo design of les enphants tell you? You got it. It’s not a Taiwanese company.

I am working in their office building in another company. The building has the shape of an elephant too … well, a little bit, if you stand in front.

I thought it is Taiwanese:

toybase.com.tw/tw/t79016.html

… does not look like a branch to me.

No way! Egg on face for Spack.
Well, all I can say is good for them. They deserve success with a neat name like that.

No new places for you but thank you for the info. They were a good read. About the finger, Ya they do seem to use it a lot and then laugh. They really get a kick out of seeing foreigners reactions. I just laugh and give them the finger back. Then they really do not know what to say or do. Or I will just ask them what they are trying to say or do. Then I will ask them what that finger means. They get really confused then. It’s really fun to watch sometimes.

Urinals in the Cardinal Tien Hospital bear the words: “Rentokil Initial.” I guess it’s like being dressed to kill, only with renting…?

One university, until recently, had an “Institute of Oriental Philosophical Thoughts of Humanities.” I think the sign itself was already quite an object lesson.

Did I mention Ma Ma Lia’s stand near Chichang MRT station? Picture slabs of vaguely edible looking lumps for sale, under a sign that says “MAMALIA.”

And be sure to read the artistic description of the new Xiaobitan Station, whose key term escapes me right now but I will add later.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]Urinals in the Cardinal Tien Hospital bear the words: “Rentokil Initial.” I guess it’s like being dressed to kill, only with renting…?[/quote]Same as Les Enphants I’m afraid: rentokil.co.uk/ Started off doing pest extermination, hence the name, then moved into other areas.

When I was shopping for toilets, I found some under the brand name, Mr. Bean.

Perhaps in a building made by Hung Poo Real Estate Development Corp (2536.TW) ?

They took the sign down recently, but the
Subconscious Restaurant
…for some reason I feel hungry…

Also, the sign on Roosevelt heading north, directing us to the
Taipei Pot Plant Auction
…getting even hungrier…

-BigJim

As I was walking down Chung Hsiao East Road I noticed a shop called Elum (mule). It reminded me of a few other brands with names which are palindromes.

Klim (powdered milk)

[quote=“elektronisk”]As I was walking down Zhongxiao East Road I noticed a shop called Elum (mule). It reminded me of a few other brands with names which are palindromes.

Klim (powdered milk)

Good one BFM! :bravo:

I also noticed that half of the front page of the China Post today is taken up with an advert for Chunghwa telecom’s new service “emome”. Ha.