Mushrooms of the Day

Saw them on at least two trees.

I have seen glow in the dark mushrooms in Australia and even sampled it with no ill effects (not recommended of course ). At the time I had no idea such a thing even existed!

In Taiwan they grow on rotten bamboo.

I’ve also eaten magic mushrooms. Holy shit is all I can say about that.

1 Like

I don’t know what it is, but the first non-commercial mushroom I found after created this thread.

_DSC6390

So I saw that last Friday when looking for snakes. No idea if it’s edible or not.

Looks a little like a Coprinus species.

P_20180429_131714P_20180429_123701P_20180429_130948P_20180429_131611P_20180429_123652P_20180429_135513P_20180429_135153

3 Likes

Those last two are really cool.

I would really like to know more about these things so that I could pick and eat some wild mushrooms. It’s a bit like when I go to the zoo: it makes me feel hungry.

I think http://mushroomobserver.org/ people will identify for you.

The book Mushrooms Demystified by David Aurora is a great resource. So far i haven’t seen it available in taiwan.

1 Like

Well, I guess I would go with a book about local mushrooms.

1 Like

Uploading…

2 Likes

Where did you find them?

Can’t tell you the exact point, but somewhere around here:

Edit: I really wanted to bite them!

1 Like

Really curious as to what they are, look a bit like a stinkhorn.

what substrate are they growing in?
I see a net, re-bar, and the white stuff looks like lots of mycelium. some kind of agricultural/industrial setting?

No, it’s just a trail in a “high mountain” forest. The plastic mesh is for compacting the soil and preventing it from being washed away into a snall ditch that was beside it. I think there was moss around.

It takes more than 1 day from taipei, but I add the trail to my to go list.

Dunno how you would go, but it’s possible to do it in one day. Tiring, but possible.

:walking_man:

regarding edibles, look for a pines/conifers area for some possibilities, the mycorrhizal relationship. elevation might help.
Also dead trees for oysters.
Hardwoods are often barren.