Must read on the prospects of an invasion by the PRC

Something tells me there’d be some bait and switch action going on.

Why doesn’t the PRC just offer a certain amount of money to every Taiwan citizen? Dunno how much it might be, but surely there is some number that would persuade them to sign on the dotted line.

Remember this guy? At least he is sincere and says that after annexation, pro independence folks will be beheaded.

Taiwanese people can´t say they do not know what will happen or claim that everything will be the same, no one is lying about the consequences. The rich are led by the money and just think nothing will happen to them, that change cannot touch them. They think only those who oppose the PRC will persih. News flash: anyone can be tagged an opponent…

I’d sign for a cool 3 mill.

Small manufacturers know what’s up. They don’t want it.

I can’t imagine any number being practical AND enough to do that kind of thing. Even for… let’s say $60000USD for every man, woman and child, would be $1.4 TRILLION US dollars. That’s a good 10% of the entire economy and would upset quite a few Chinese people into asking why the ungrateful bastards across the strait got free money and they didn’t.

While $60000 for everyone in Taiwan would be…a rather small amount to receive for a lifetime of oppression and the risk of being labelled an enemy of the state and have that money taken away anyways.

I hope you’re talking greenbacks.

dong?

Bu dong.

There are other ways to access it, without the cable it maybe slower though.

Now I think it is useless. Anyways, no one will answer the mayday.

Sadly true

Satellite Internet now has speeds of up to a half Gigabit.

Re original article it is correct on many points. A large scale seaborne invasion in the age of satelites and advances communication tech can not catch the enemy by surprise.

No D-Day would have been possible against a prepared enemy in the know (Germans were blinded by fake intel for crucial days) for weeks, even less possible with modern missile tech. You just don’t do invasions against a dug-in, prepared enemy.

Also, the political risk is too great for PRC, a failed invasion and loss of face could lead to regime change.

4 Likes

I don’t think China would bother hiding their plans, if they do decide to act. In fact they could even announce an invasion with the thinking: what are you gonna do? 23 million people, say a few million max. capable fighters. No nukes. Your numbers are error decimal places for us.

And frankly it is so. Taiwan cannot stand up to China unless other countries intervene militarily.

China doesn’t need to invade for some time. What if they blocked the seas and bombed? critical infrastructure like power station, ports, HSR? It’d be terrible for Taiwan.

2 Likes

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong, but:

Without even considering the U.S as a deterrent, I do not believe Japan will just sit idly by as the PLA invades Taiwan. Not with Okinawa right there. I think at least Japan serves as an additional check to any real threat of invasion.

Numbers only matter if the numbers actually get to Taiwan. And that is the key, amphibious invasions are extremely difficult and furthermore PRC has no doctrinal history of it.

Blockade and bombing would take time, and time is on Taiwan’s side as without a fait accompli US/Japan would intervene.

1 Like

Yes but it’s also psychological warfare. They may call the bluff of Taiwan’s so called western support.

Even after lying thru their teeth about a global
Pandemic which has killed 150000 Americans US doesn’t do anything really drastic to them. Coroporarions are still going to remain there and do business. China is nit diplomatically boycotted at UN or something like that. Do you really think the broken US and Japan or Australia will militarily intervene? If not, that’s exactly what China may use against Taiwan. The world may literally curse, but just sit and watch as China carpet bombs Taiwan if they decide to do so.

HA! 23 million strong in a country that barely has any beaches to land on. We’ll be picking them off like flies.

The cost of invading Taiwan would be so great, it could collapse the CCP.

They’d be literally shooting one of their biggest customers. Mass job losses all around!

3 Likes