Notes from the move

Seems that if you go to Gus’ link on Taiwan Ho while you’re logged on there you are automatically also logged in at Forumosa, but if you try to login direct at Forumosa you are not allowed. Could this be right?
i.e. I just bookmarked the link Gus gave on the 'Ho, but if I use the bookmark I need to log in but cannot. Then I go back to the 'Ho link, click on it and I’m taken to Forumosa, already logged in.

Just who are you calling “Ho”?

Also, I have DSL at work and the page times out loading sometimes. And I have to log in at the home page and then again if I want to post.

[quote=“sandman”]Seems that if you go to Gus’ link on Taiwan Ho while you’re logged on there you are automatically also logged in at Forumosa, but if you try to login direct at Forumosa you are not allowed. Could this be right?
i.e. I just bookmarked the link Gus gave on the 'Ho, but if I use the bookmark I need to log in but cannot. Then I go back to the 'Ho link, click on it and I’m taken to Forumosa, already logged in.[/quote]

Dude, absolutely correct. I can’t log in here, but I logged in with the ho and now I am auto logged in here. Dude!!!

This is right. Glad I could read this information and get in this way.

[quote=“Bassman”][quote=“sandman”]Seems that if you go to Gus’ link on Taiwan Ho while you’re logged on there you are automatically also logged in at Forumosa, but if you try to login direct at Forumosa you are not allowed. Could this be right?
i.e. I just bookmarked the link Gus gave on the 'Ho, but if I use the bookmark I need to log in but cannot. Then I go back to the 'Ho link, click on it and I’m taken to Forumosa, already logged in.[/quote]

Dude, absolutely correct. I can’t log in here, but I logged in with the ho and now I am auto logged in here. Dude!!!

This is right. Glad I could read this information and get in this way.[/quote]
Hmmmm. Yes, the same happened with me. I switched to the forumosa.com URL after getting here using the IP Address. And then I couldn’t log in. Maybe a conflict with the Cookie settings – which is weird because the website should now be setting forumosa.com cookies as opposed to IP address cookies…
I don’t really know what I’m yammering on about…

But this helps! Pls keep the feedback coming in :slight_smile:

I couldn’t believe either, but they seem to be right. If I use forumosa.com, I keep losing my session, but I use the numbered IP, it seems to work. The exsistance of this post would prove it.

So for all those having problems logging on and posting, use this link: 66.139.73.203/taiwan/index.php

PS. Sent gus a pm, hope it clears things up.

EDIT: The cookies I have in my cookie manager are from 66.139.73.203, not forumosa.com, if that means anything to anyone.
Try deleting your forumosa.com cookies, that worked for me too,

[quote=“Big Fluffy Matthew”]I couldn’t believe either, but they seem to be right. If I use forumosa.com, I keep losing my session, but I use the numbered IP, it seems to work. The exsistance of this post would prove it.

So for all those having problems logging on and posting, use this link: 66.139.73.203/taiwan/index.php

PS. Sent gus a pm, hope it clears things up.

EDIT: The cookies I have in my cookie manager are from 66.139.73.203, not forumosa.com, if that means anything to anyone.
Try deleting your forumosa.com cookies, that worked for me too,[/quote]

This posting confirms BFM’s trick to get logged in. Delete your cookies (IE users go to TOOLS -> Internet Options).

Thanks BFM.

Marked all topics read does not function correctly.

Marked all topics read does not function correctly.

Hmm. Hadn’t thought of that. Yeah, in order to get the site to function at all yesterday, because DNS wasn’t pointed at it yet, I had to change the “domain” internally to point at the IP address, not at forumosa.com.

I’ll change the settings again tonight, unless Gus has taken care of it by then.

Using Firefox: Got “Invalid Session” for attempting to logout, post a reply, or post a quick reply.

I deleted my cookie for forumosa.com and logged in again. Everything works fine now, except there’s no more “quick reply” field or button.

The annoying thing was trying to logout and I couldn’t unless I deleted your cookie.

I was using IE jsut now, and could not post AT ALL for invalid sessions (nor log out). Deleting cookies didn’t help.

Firefox seems to be working, but last night it was the other way round.

I haven’t got invalid sessions for months, so I refuse to believe it’s a conincidence unrelated to the move.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]I was using IE jsut now, and could not post AT ALL for invalid sessions (nor log out). Deleting cookies didn’t help.

Firefox seems to be working, but last night it was the other way round.

I haven’t got invalid sessions for months, so I refuse to believe it’s a conincidence unrelated to the move.

Brian[/quote]

I’m getting “Invalid session” all the time.

and “No input file specified.”

and multiple logouts.

and the website is now hopelessly slow.

What’s up?

I had the log in problem just now. I deleted cookies and entered my login twice. Logged in successfully after the second login time.

Ok, while trying to log in, I found out what most of the problem probably is:

DNS

Is anyone surprised?? :smiley:

DNS is distributed among a LOT of computers. These machines update themselves typically once a day. When I tried to go to forumosa.com the first time, my computer hit a DNS server which returned the correct current IP address. But I’d forgotten to specify something on my command line, so I hit ctrl-C and tried again.

The second time, I got the IP address for the old server at Dreamhost.

The DNS servers that your computer is configured with get hit in a round-robin fashion to try to get the IP for a given domain. So the first time, I got a server which had updated itself already. The second time, I got one that hadn’t done it yet. It may take up to two or three days for all the machines out there to get flushed.

If there are still problems like this in another three days, I’ll be more worried. Right now, odds are that the invalid session errors and so on are caused by that.

Also, there were some issues with the server configuration during transition, since we announced before Gus had even tried to change the DNS over. I had to change some settings so that the machine and phpBB only used the IP address, not the domain name – otherwise any time you tried to log in, you would be redirected to the old server.

However, this isn’t really the right thing to do once people start accessing pages via “forumosa.com” instead of the IP address.

I’ve changed the settings to use forumosa.com now, since DNS is propagating now. It’s just going to take a little time for the rest of the world to catch up.

The Free Beer button doesn’t work.

As of this posting 3:30am, everything is working normally in terms of the site’s most common functionality. I haven’t received any PM responses from earlier so I don’t know if they went through of not, though presumably they did as they were moved into the “Sentbox” from the “Outbox”.

I think the DNS propogation should be completed by the opening of business day… er, today :slight_smile:

[quote=“MaPoSquid”]However, this isn’t really the right thing to do once people start accessing pages via “forumosa.com” instead of the IP address.

I’ve changed the settings to use forumosa.com now, since DNS is propagating now. It’s just going to take a little time for the rest of the world to catch up.[/quote]

:loco: Which address should we use?

I couldn’t evenpost yesterday (Invalid session, maybe I didn’t try hrad enough), lets see if it works now. About the DNS thing, I’m pretty sure it only takes 8 hours (or less) for things to get refreshed. That’s what my webhost tells me when I add a new sub-domain. I might be different when changing a domains IP, but I don’t see why.

Here we go.

Edit: That only took one try

[quote=“miltownkid”] About the DNS thing, I’m pretty sure it only takes 8 hours (or less) for things to get refreshed. That’s what my webhost tells me when I add a new sub-domain. I might be different when changing a domains IP, but I don’t see why.
[/quote]

[quote=“Webhosters.com”]What is DNS propagation and why does it take so long?

You

Yesterday I got a lot of security warnings regarding cookies (I do not allow 3rd party cookies) but now it all looks ok. Using Opera btw.