Novel coronavirus cases reignite SARS fears - the epidemic mess foretold

Could just be caffeine, but the hypochondriac in me is going into overdrive right now. I’m thinking I should just stop reading about this altogether and carry on with my semi-obsessively sanitary way of life.

Hanna : viruses = Icon : typhoons

1 Like

And quakes. And war.

4 Likes

The whole office here is coughing and sneezing…no need for paranoia.

I was coming down with a cold on Friday but started a regime of ginger tea and extra vitamin C. I have added some Betadine throat spray. So far, so good.

As to screening, they have caught cases of dengue at the airport. If the people are symptomatic, it will show.

Our doctor today suggested us to get the flu shot this year, mainly because if we get flu and we decide to go to the hospital due to high fever, there’s a chance we may get stuck there forever while they make sure we’re not carrying any dodgy viruses.

5 Likes

That was quick!

My co-workers think, oh, that’s in China, no need to worry. My family in the old country thinks the same. Some people seem to underestimate the scope of globalization, the speed of travel and the reach of China.

1 Like

One case was reported in Taiwan today? You here about this, news oracle?

Six suspects now, more to come as travel picks up for Lunar New Year.

More like crow’s mouth, or what was the name of the one that foretold only doom during the Troyan war?

The issue is double sided: on one hand, China’s data can’t be trusted, if it says 5, it is 59, and so on. But most importantly is that the amount of travel from China to the world, literally, is gargantuan, both in amount, variety and reach. So whatever happens there will affect many more near and far.

Your chances of dying while driving are astronomically higher than this random bug. Time to give up your license and install uber eats.

Assuming that what I just got past is a distant relative of this China coronavirus, I think your chances of wishing you were dead are even higher.

2 Likes

Actually I have been considering going back on the road again. Will Taiwan roads be ready for the Icon?

Just read that one person infected with this thing immediately got 14 medical staff infected when they went in to get it looked at. damn

Heh. We owned a school in Miaoli County during SARS. This seems similar. One thing about life, you can’t get out of it alive. We all have to die from something, and this is “something.” The panic seems not quite as intense as during SARS.

BEIJING (AP) — The head of a Chinese government expert team said Monday that human-to-human transmission has been confirmed in an outbreak of a new coronavirus, a development that raises the possibility that it could spread more quickly and widely.

https://news.yahoo.com/china-counts-sharp-rise-coronavirus-013031419.html

Waaaaaay ahead of you.

Where did you hear/read that?

I think fake news will create its own hysteria here. Look at the headline and then actually read the article. The headline would lead you to believe there’s six CONFIRMED cases in Taiwan. But the article actually says there were six suspected cases, but when tested four results were NEGATIVE (and the other two we don’t have information for yet). So basically no confirmed cases here (at least from the news I’m seeing). Very irresponsible of the media here.

3 Likes

China is always the problem.

2 Likes

i don’t see anything wrong with the title. if the doctors initially suspected six patients which afterwards turned out to be negative, the author is not wrong in that fact. i could see way more irresponsible or misleading titles for that kind of news