‘Online’ Bank’s xenophobic reasoning for denying "foreigners" the ability to open an account online

But what I’m asking is that there should be a response from the FSC after this, no? That’s the part I’m wondering about, because I haven’t heard anything two weeks after the bank responded.

If the bank respond and address your issue they most likely notify the FSC. If they respond and do not address your issue then you file another complaint.

They responded, but the response was bullshit, as is often the case, and they said they’d just continue with the discrimination.

I realize that the FSC will also have been notified of the response, but don’t they actually read it to determine if it’s adequate or something, then provide their own notification that they consider the case closed? @Mataiou suggested above that they did. That’s what I’m asking about and haven’t received.

If the FSC just accepts any bullshit response a bank provides, I’m not sure what they’re actually doing. They seem to just be acting as a mail forwarder?

I already submitted another complaint chasing up the original one two weeks ago, but haven’t received any response. But if all they do anyway is forward it to the bank for the bank to not do anything again, what’s the point?

2 Likes

none indeed, they just can’t be asked to do their job, hence my attempt to administrative appeal, but they dodged the bullet (for now).

I will also try something else besides the control yuan appeal

1 Like

Should I get my pitchfork and torch ready? :whistle:

1 Like

:rofl:

BTW here the copies of the BS reply. I can agree only on the disqualification for not being in Chinese, else is BS.

3 Likes

I just now received another response from Taishin to my original FSC complaint and my complaint back at them about the inadequacy of that response (they referenced both in the new response), and… well, it’s not entirely bullshit.

For a start, this time they responded in both Chinese and English (quite good English, actually), in contrast to the previous response that was only in Chinese.

I’m still trying to figure out exactly what the new response means, but it seems like they’ve decided to offer the same rebate program to foreigners using JKOPay linked to Richart accounts as they do to Taiwanese customers, as of December.

It doesn’t really address what I’d say is the main point, which is that foreign customers are excluded from these promotions by default, but, well… I suppose it’s not nothing. I also got them to use the term “inclusive financing”. :sweat_smile:

1. Thank you for your letter. With respect to your feedback, we explain the following:We are sorry the JKO and Richart collaboration service design is far from your expectation. Therefore, we have worked with JKO to prepare the preferential program applicable to foreign customers. For the time being, we plan to provide foreigners,who need the JKO and Richart collaboration service with making transations by JKOPAY linked with Richart NTD accounts, shares the same preferential rebate program as that offered by the JKO and Richart collaboration campaign in the same period. The preceding rebate is calculated based on your transactions of the previous month, and is expected to be rebated by JKO as JKO Coins into your JKOPAY account by the end of December for the first time.

2. Although it is hard for us, Taishin International Bank, to satisfy your expectation for the time being, we have continued to promote the digital friendly services for foreigners. In addition to the multi-language ATM service implemented by the Bank, the digital brand service, Richart, provided by us is also the first banking service allowing foreigners to open the digital accounts online throughout Taiwan for the time being. In consideration of the extensive system adjustment range during our service expansion, it is hard for us to provide certain characteristics programs and services immediately. We would like to apologize to you for this again.

3. Thank you for your feedback. We will keep aiming to promote inclusive financing and provide various financial services. Should you need any further assistance…

It occurs to me now that this is why JKO e-mailed me in late October to ask why I wanted to open the 街利存 account – specifically, whether it was more about the rebate or the deposit interest. It seems like what they’ve decided to do is attempt to match the promotion offered to Taiwanese customers while still treating Taiwanese and foreign customers differently and excluding foreigners from the main service. It’s just a shame that I didn’t really give much of a toss about the rebate or interest in the first place, more the principle… :whistle:

I guess I’ll try linking my Richart account to JKOPay now and see what happens.

3 Likes

baby steps, I do believe Taishin is trying hard, the richart is an encouraging example by TW banking and bureaucratic standards.

When I met the product managers who launched richart for foreigners, they were young and willing to do things. I imagine they had to fight hard with the grey haired old farts keeping the levers of powers.

Combination of conservative and substantially uninterested regulators and very old and conservative management brings this. they can’t just be bothered.

2 Likes

Yeah, at least it’s more reassuring than nothing at all I suppose.

I’ve still got the MOI complaint on the same issue being processed at breakneck speed (:snail:) as well, so I’m curious if that’ll do anything. I think they said a decision should be made within three months.

1 Like

Would someone who has both JKOPay and Richart (@slawa?) mind checking if they’re able to link their Richart account to JKOPay?

It’s not working for me, with error code 2214. I believe it was the same previously as well and something related to Richart/Taishin’s verification process for foreigners that we’ve discussed before.

I can link the account as a debit card rather than a bank account, but I think that’s not what’s needed here.

1 Like

Same as ever ‘2214 Error’

I reported it to them in August 2023, they had no timeline for linking bank account to JKO Pay and Easy Wallet.

But at least they added Google Pay after a few months.

3 Likes

Thanks for checking. I’m responding to them now. So you previously reported it to Richart or to Taishin? I’ll mention that in my e-mail. Maybe they can fix it this time…

Is it okay for me to use your screenshot from Easy Wallet above?

1 Like

I told that to ‘Amy?’. The woman who was called by all foreigners after getting refused opening the account.

Edit:
Yes!

Obviously the other thing is also still not working

2 Likes

Oh, you actually reported this problem on here before I did. I hadn’t noticed that before!

Did you file a complaint with the FSC or anything?

I’ve e-mailed Taishin back, saying that this will need to be fixed for the proposed solution to work. Hopefully this might provide the motivation needed to at least fix part of the problem!

Back then FSC complaints were not popularized yet.

I just reported to Richart customer support. They added Google Pay eventually. The other two issues I never heard back from. Still not fixed.

If you pay by JKO Pay via credit/debit card, then one is not getting the JKO points ‘cash back’. Only works using a linked bank account. But one can use a different bank than Richart for that.

3 Likes

FSC basically is a mail forwarder. I had a girl from there tell me, hehehe but we can just contact them again with your complaint. Yes, but they just denied it last time. Hehehe we can send it again. But they will deny it again. Hehehe we can send it again.

2 Likes

Wtf….

1 Like

Richart called me and asked. I said it was the 3% rebate and then they offered me the credit card that has 3.8% rebate on Taishinpay, line pay and PXpay

1 Like

Yeah so I told her she too must be a foreigner as she was speaking to me in English. It was a good conversation lol

3 Likes