Over 100,000 Vietnamese brides already in Taiwan

Sad for these girls to be forced to marry a stranger from a far away land. The lucky ones find a good husband. Others are not so lucky.

Many Taiwanese cant find a suitable TAiwanese girl to marry and Vietnam fills the void.

I saw that Taipei Times article and this bit made me cringe

You have to wonder whether the vast amount of money Sach got is influencing her opinion that the husbands are fine men. This is painful too

In fact the whole thing is sounds completely nauseating

1 Like

One of my adult students is a Vietnamese women. Gorgeous, in her early twenties, very conversational in Mandarin after five months in Taiwan and well on her way with English to boot. She’s married to a nice looking, gentlemanly Taiwanese guy in his late twenties who dotes on her like she’s a supermodel.

from what I understand he found her through a matchmaker friend in Vietnam. Why did he marry her? According to him, he’s not college educated, and although he earns a decent living he isn’t a professional person. As such most Taiwanese women don’t want to give him the time of day, let alone settle down, get married and have a family. He went to Vietnam a few times to meet her and settled the necessary arrangements with her family after everyone agreed to the match. He seems to treat her very well, and both seem very happy with the situation.

There are surely some sad stories wrt to Taiwanese guys marrying foreign brides, but I’m sure there are also some sad stories of Taiwanese married to Taiwanese. But this also seems like a trend that’s not going to slow down anytime soon. I have several bushiban students whose mother’s aren’t born Taiwanese. They also seem to be the more well behaved and conscienctious students…

I’ve posted this article before, but here is a good article in the Taiwan Review regarding foreign brides etc…

Here’s the entire issue: taiwanreview.nat.gov.tw/lp.asp?C … eb.%202007

Mod edit: Updated links.

https://taiwantoday.tw/tr.php?post=144

https://web.archive.org/web/20070510193806/https://taiwanreview.nat.gov.tw/lp.asp?CtNode=128&CtUnit=2&BaseDSD=12&htx_Vol=57.02&htx_volumnTitle=Vol.57%20No.2%20Feb.%202007

Here’s one from 2003:
taiwanreview.nat.gov.tw/ct.asp?x … CtNode=119

It’s certainly an interesting issue on many levels.

[quote=“bismarck”]One of my adult students is a Vietnamese women. Gorgeous, in her early twenties, very conversational in Mandarin after five months in Taiwan and well on her way with English to boot. She’s married to a nice looking, gentlemanly Taiwanese guy in his late twenties who dotes on her like she’s a supermodel.

from what I understand he found her through a matchmaker friend in Vietnam. Why did he marry her? According to him, he’s not college educated, and although he earns a decent living he isn’t a professional person. As such most Taiwanese women don’t want to give him the time of day, let alone settle down, get married and have a family. He went to Vietnam a few times to meet her and settled the necessary arrangements with her family after everyone agreed to the match. He seems to treat her very well, and both seem very happy with the situation.

There are surely some sad stories wrt to Taiwanese guys marrying foreign brides, but I’m sure there are also some sad stories of Taiwanese married to Taiwanese. But this also seems like a trend that’s not going to slow down anytime soon. I have several buxiban students whose mother’s aren’t born Taiwanese. They also seem to be the more well behaved and conscienctious students…

I’ve posted this article before, but here is a good article in the Taiwan Review regarding foreign brides etc…

Here’s the entire issue: taiwanreview.nat.gov.tw/lp.asp?C … eb.%202007

Here’s one from 2003:
taiwanreview.nat.gov.tw/ct.asp?x … CtNode=119

It’s certainly an interesting issue on many levels.[/quote]

Good to hear when it works out well !! :slight_smile:

And yes Vietnamese girls fill the void and save the day for a lot of upstanding TAiwanese men who cant find a Taiwanese girl who would marry them and live in the small village where they have a small business or choose to make a living. The Taiwanese girls all move to the big city and watn the big city life.

One of my ex Gf was going to marry her then BF , but when he decided to live in the small town he was from , she nixed the whole relationship. Nope, sorry bud. He later found another young lady and for whatever reason he later committed suicide. NOt a happy story at all.

Now if he had found a Vietnamese girl from a small poor village, his small town life may altogether have been workable.

When I worked in Taichung, we had a young lady (Indonesian chinese) who had to die for looks and personality. Shes happily married to a Taiwanese guy near her age .

ONe in seven marriages in Taiwan now involve a foreign spouse, I read somewhere.

That certainly should help change the closed off Taiwan society?

[quote=“tommy525”]One in seven marriages in Taiwan now involve a foreign spouse, I read somewhere.

That certainly should help change the closed off Taiwan society?[/quote]

Actually, if you include PRC-born spouses (recent ones, not the 1949 generation), it is one in five. What’s most interesting to me is the effect it will have on Taiwan’s politics. Neither party is making a real concerted effort to reach this potentially huge block of voters, though I think the DPP is somewhat ahead of the KMT in this regard.

[quote=“Prince Roy”][quote=“tommy525”]One in seven marriages in Taiwan now involve a foreign spouse, I read somewhere.

That certainly should help change the closed off Taiwan society?[/quote]

Actually, if you include PRC-born spouses (recent ones, not the 1949 generation), it is one in five. What’s most interesting to me is the effect it will have on Taiwan’s politics. Neither party is making a real concerted effort to reach this potentially huge block of voters, though I think the DPP is somewhat ahead of the KMT in this regard.[/quote]

Well, considering they successfully “escaped” the Motherland, they’d probably rather back the party least likely to rejoin with the PRC. Then again, it may be sweet revenge on the MIL for giving the poor women shite for being a “Mainland Bride”. :idunno:

If it’s legal and all consensual, what do you do about it? Some people want money, some people want a bride and children. You can only expect them to sort things out to mutual advantage.

So who are the Vietnamese guys marrying?

Perhaps the left overs?

I know a Taiwanese guy - his dad’s business is the importation of brides. Hilarious stuff I must say. I can’t really frown upon it because it isn’t human trafficking or anything. It’s totally consentual and nobody is tricked into the deal.

Well you know… its kind of good to know it exists…in case we lose an arm or an eye or something. Chicks hate that.

There are some Vietnamese girls learning Chinese at my University. I can’t figure out how most of them are here.

I know at least one comes from a good successful family. But now that I think about it, maybe her mom married a local Taiwan guy…

The others don’t seem to be the same. Not really focused on learning, talk about being very poor… So I wonder what really brings them here. If to learn Chinese, then I wonder who is paying and why?

1 Like

Why aren’t there 5,000 new Vietnamese restaurants or food stools popping up?

I love Vietnamese sandwich. Yummy bread and all.

i used to sometimes need to go to the foreign affairs police station in a smaller city in Taiwan. the only other foreigners i saw their were foreign brides there with their older, farmer-ish Taiwanese husbands. i was frequently given these odd “please save me” looks from these ladies. it made me very sad.

There’s a great place in Hsichih that has them.

[quote=“maybin”]Why aren’t there 5,000 new Vietnamese restaurants or food stools popping up?

I love Vietnamese sandwich. Yummy bread and all.[/quote]

There are. They are all over the place now. Most are absolute shite.

I dated a Vietnamese girl in Taiwan once. She told me that she had paid money to arrange a fake marriage (uncommusated) with a Taiwanese. I joked that if she married me, she would actually have to consummate it. I shouldn’t have made that joke. Upon the second date, as we were making out, she declared to me that if I ever wanted to marry her, she would go for it.

WARNING BELLS! WARNING BELLS!

I backed off like a gentleman after that. But not before consummating affairs. I’m only human, you know… (oh, come on. If she were an innocent, that’s one thing. But she was pretty blatantly mercernary).

Sad in many case, others they are happy. It does beat abject poverty back in Vietnam though.

[quote=“Quentin”]I dated a Vietnamese girl in Taiwan once. She told me that she had paid money to arrange a fake marriage (uncommusated) with a Taiwanese. I joked that if she married me, she would actually have to consummate it. I shouldn’t have made that joke. Upon the second date, as we were making out, she declared to me that if I ever wanted to marry her, she would go for it.

WARNING BELLS! WARNING BELLS!

I backed off like a gentleman after that. But not before consummating affairs. I’m only human, you know… (oh, come on. If she were an innocent, that’s one thing. But she was pretty blatantly mercernary).[/quote]

tsk tsk, looks like you “implied” marriage with your consumation exercise there buddy.

A consummate gentleman, I see.

1 Like

A consummate gentleman, I see.[/quote]

And I suppose all you gents would’ve said, “No thank you!” and pushed her out the door? :ohreally: