Overseas shipping sevices

Hello :slight_smile:

My husband and I are planning on moving back to the U.S. and are needing to ship some things back. I assume water shipping would be less expensive than air shipping ?!

Would anyone be able to refer an overseas shipping company here in Taipei ?

(I searched the site before posting and only found local moving topics)

Thanks in advance!

I’m having the same problem. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to ship things back to the US? I don’t have enough to fill a container, and the moving companies quoted me over $2000 US for just a few boxes of stuff.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Karen

Maybe you could ask the shipper for LCL shipping.

That WAS the cost for LCL shipping! That was for one standard sized pallet of boxes. But it was through on of the moving companies. I can’t figure out a way to do it without using a door-to-door type moving company.

Hi…I just went through this recently. We shipped like around 60 boxes from U.S. to Taiwan. (mainly toys, clothes…), and only took up not even 1/3rd of the container space. First they told us a figure price (which $2000 is the minimum amount no matter what you’re shipping) then once they had our stuff at the shipping center in California (from North Carolina), they said we really overexceeded the limit and had to pay thousands more…(what are we gonna do, we’re in NC and they’re in CA…not like we could go weigh it…)

Anyways…long story short…many little things come up and it’s kinda a hassle, and a lot of my stuff was broken or scratched :fume:

so, just be careful and ask a lot of questions…I’ll check and put the name of that company on later…my friend also moved from NC to Taipei and she used a different company (Taiwanese) and loved them…so i’ll ask as well.

Why don’t you try the following company. We also use the same company to ship our goods from Tokyo to Taipei.

Nippon Express (Taiwan) Co., Ltd. Overseas Removals Division.
Tel: 886(2)2712 9090
Fax: 886(2)2712 7272
e-mail: tperemoval@jp.nittsu.com.tw

They also have a branch in Kaohsiung
Tel: 886(7)339 4000

Well known forwarders such as Dansaz, Exel, Expeditors do not take care of personal goods. You’d better look for international moving firms.

Good luck!!

Don’t use those International movers. They overcharge.

Go for a freight forwarders or what regular businessmen use to import and export cargo containers. They will back up a 20 foot or 40 foot container to your door, then get a local moving company to put it all into the container for you. The forwarders will make sure it gets to your home in the USA. International movers while much more convenient, tack on loads of profit for their service. I got a quote recently for a container from LA port to Taipei for only $500. If you are on the East coast, get a quote for a port on the East coast like Baltimore or whatever is close to you. It could be more to the USA instead of from as I know it costs less to get a cargo from Europe than the other way around, since the ships coming from Europe are empty in comparison to the going to Europe. Then there are charges for getting it from the port etc. Freight companies are extremely competitive. Call around and you will get different quotes and ask for the door to door service. Besides a fowarder you may also need a clearance agent. Sounds difficult but everythign is easy and they do all of the paperwork for you. Goodluck, research and find a bunch of freight forwarders and get the quotes.

[quote=“Hobart”]Don’t use those International movers. They overcharge.

Go for a freight forwarders or what regular businessmen use to import and export cargo containers.

Freight companies are extremely competitive. Call around and you will get different quotes and ask for the door to door service. Besides a fowarder you may also need a clearance agent. Sounds difficult but everythign is easy and they do all of the paperwork for you. Goodluck, research and find a bunch of freight forwarders and get the quotes.[/quote]

Just for your information, Nippon Express is world’s #5 freight forwarding company and they also have an overseas moving service.

Thus, they may quote you a competitive rate as well. Why don’t you just ask for a quotation and compare with other companies?

For our case, we don’t know how much they charged us as the bill went to our company, directly. However, it shouldn’t be that much as our allowance is always stingy… :blush:

Once again, Good luck!

I remember that Cargocare, run by Michel of “The Tavern” fame, used to do shipping for people. I haven’t seen anything posted about it in a long time, not sure if they are still doing it. You might send him a note, though.

NAC also posted about starting a freight forwarding company, but I think they were focused on commercial shipping. Still worth a message.

Shipping companies are all over place. There are loads of them here in Taipei. At least 100 of them. If you really need some help, let me know I have some contacts. I checked with one and door to door 20 foot cargo loaded and unloaded from LA was US$1500.

[quote=“Hobart”]Don’t use those International movers. They overcharge.

Go for a freight forwarders or what regular businessmen use to import and export cargo containers. They will back up a 20 foot or 40 foot container to your door, then get a local moving company to put it all into the container for you. The forwarders will make sure it gets to your home in the USA. International movers while much more convenient, tack on loads of profit for their service. I got a quote recently for a container from LA port to Taipei for only $500. If you are on the East coast, get a quote for a port on the East coast like Baltimore or whatever is close to you. It could be more to the USA instead of from as I know it costs less to get a cargo from Europe than the other way around, since the ships coming from Europe are empty in comparison to the going to Europe. Then there are charges for getting it from the port etc. Freight companies are extremely competitive. Call around and you will get different quotes and ask for the door to door service. Besides a fowarder you may also need a clearance agent. Sounds difficult but everythign is easy and they do all of the paperwork for you. Goodluck, research and find a bunch of freight forwarders and get the quotes.[/quote]

Do you have any names of good freight forwarders? How can one tell the difference between them and international moving companies? Thanks.

[quote=“ucxb”]Hello :slight_smile:

My husband and I are planning on moving back to the U.S. and are needing to ship some things back. I assume water shipping would be less expensive than air shipping ?!

Thanks in advance![/quote]

I shipped a 40-foot container of goods to Taiwan and recently shipped one back. Although I well understand the prejudice against international movers (they are mostly scum in my book, especially the ‘big-name’ companies) sometimes they can be a good choice.

I’d suggest trying Allied Pickfords in Taipei, Andy Chen in Sales should be able to help.

E-mail: andy.Chen@alliedpickfords.com.tw

The company and the folks treated us very well.

Here in the US, we used Arpin Movers to ship to Taiwan - NEVER USE THEM. They use a bait and switch on how well they will containerize your goods door to door, then you wind up with a loose packed container at the higher rates for sub-packaged shipping.

With Allied Pickford, they used Lucky Movers out of New York for our stateside delivery. Lucky (a shame the name is so put offish) is an excellent local mover and we were really happy to deal with them. I can provide contact info if you wish. They appear to be a US company, Taiwanese owned, and used by a lot of Taiwanese going back to Taiwan.

Along those lines, I suggest avoiding Crown Van Lines and Four Winds in Taiwan. The first tried to shaft me and the second accomplished the shaft. Once again, your mileage may vary.

We mailed a number of boxes back using surface mail, airmail, and EMS. The surface packages took about 7-9 weeks and really showed wear and tear, but the contents were okay. Airmail was quicker but the wear and tear was still there. EMS was a bit more expensive, but no wear and tear and no damaged contents.

Moving large amounts of personal goods is never fun. Dealing with a business where full payment is demanded up front, before service is provided, is a HALLMARK of a rip-off. One reason local movers have to be better, is that for the most part they get paid after delivery, except for the hijacking pirates. With international movers, they all demand payment in advance because if they didn’t, the lack of satisfaction on their service would result in a lot of withheld payments and lots of law suits.

My recommendations above not withstanding, international moving companies are scum.

Good luck.

OOC

[quote=“goinabroad”]I’m having the same problem. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to ship things back to the US? I don’t have enough to fill a container, and the moving companies quoted me over $2000 US for just a few boxes of stuff.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Karen[/quote]

Hi, Im from Allied Pickfords, Taiwan and i’m interested to help you. As we are already in this field(Moving Business)for more than ten years, we can also help you find a better alternatives to send your shipment to U.S. in economical and also in best packing quality service.

I can be reached at tel no: (02) 28361000 ext.22 or 24.

With regards,
Andy

[quote=“OutofChaos”][quote=“ucxb”]Hello :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance![/quote]

I shipped a 40-foot container of goods to Taiwan and recently shipped one back. Although I well understand the prejudice against international movers (they are mostly scum in my book, especially the ‘big-name’ companies) sometimes they can be a good choice.

I’d suggest trying Allied Pickfords in Taipei, Andy Chen in Sales should be able to help.

E-mail: andy.Chen@alliedpickfords.com.tw

The company and the folks treated us very well.

Here in the US, we used Arpin Movers to ship to Taiwan - NEVER USE THEM. They use a bait and switch on how well they will containerize your goods door to door, then you wind up with a loose packed container at the higher rates for sub-packaged shipping.

With Allied Pickford, they used Lucky Movers out of New York for our stateside delivery. Lucky (a shame the name is so put offish) is an excellent local mover and we were really happy to deal with them. I can provide contact info if you wish. They appear to be a US company, Taiwanese owned, and used by a lot of Taiwanese going back to Taiwan.

Along those lines, I suggest avoiding Crown Van Lines and Four Winds in Taiwan. The first tried to shaft me and the second accomplished the shaft. Once again, your mileage may vary.

We mailed a number of boxes back using surface mail, airmail, and EMS. The surface packages took about 7-9 weeks and really showed wear and tear, but the contents were okay. Airmail was quicker but the wear and tear was still there. EMS was a bit more expensive, but no wear and tear and no damaged contents.

Moving large amounts of personal goods is never fun. Dealing with a business where full payment is demanded up front, before service is provided, is a HALLMARK of a rip-off. One reason local movers have to be better, is that for the most part they get paid after delivery, except for the hijacking pirates. With international movers, they all demand payment in advance because if they didn’t, the lack of satisfaction on their service would result in a lot of withheld payments and lots of law suits.

My recommendations above not withstanding, international moving companies are scum.

Good luck.

OOC[/quote]

Hello :laughing: ,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for sending your feedback on our service and ofcourse to our partner Lucky Moving. It is also our great pleasure of having a wonderfule client like you. I’ll be looking forward to be of service to you anytime, whether you’ll be back to Taiwan or anywhere place in the world.

Please also send our regards to your wife Ms. Lee.

Andy

[quote=“OutofChaos”][quote=“ucxb”]Hello :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance![/quote][/quote]

Hello :slight_smile:

We are from Allied Pickfords, Taiwan and I’m interested to give you a suggestion on your upcoming move to U.S. However, you’re absolutely correct about that, sea shipment is cheaper than air. However, we can also provide 2 quotes for your reference and compare.

I can be reached at tel: (02)28361000 x 22 or 24, to give you some further details and information of your move.

Regards,
Andy

As a Freight forwarding company based here in Taipei, we normally do not touch personal effects shipping for two reasons. If people are prepared to do the work properly themselves, then we would consider it.

1. Incorrect/not detailed manifest lists
  2. Insurance and breakages.

Let me comment on each issue.

1. Most people as they do not have the required knowledge, just label the contents of the cartons/boxes that they pack as Books, CD etc etc. This is not sufficient. The list should detail exactly what is in each box, ideally listing each CD, book etc, then if the box is opened for inspection, an event that often occurs with personal effects, there are unlikely to be problems as the manifest list matches exactly the contents. All boxes need to be weighed and measured so that accurate shipping charges can be calculated, again normally beyond the scope of most ordinary people.

2. The insurance policies we buy will not cover this type of content, so effectively the shipment goes uninsured. This is primarily due to the fact that they do not know whether the contents at the time of packing were broken/damaged or not. This is also why you pay a lot for an innternational mover as they come and pack the contents, they can see what is damaged or broken and the cartons are labelled and listed correctly.

Even Michel at Cargocare does not deal with this directly, he recommends the services of Taiwan Tigers i think, but please check his website for more details if required.

If people are prepared to deal with the differences between commercial shipping and personal effects shipping themselves correctly, then we would be prepared to provide LCL or if necessary FCL rates.

I would be happy to try and answer any other querstions that people have.

One further small point in due to the comment by OOC, Freight forwarders unless you have opened a credit account with them will require full payment before departutre, this is standard practice and nothing to do with trying to rip people off, though if using a Moving company i would agree with his comments.

Hobart, it is worth mentioning that rates from the US are not the same as rates to the US. Taiwan to US is always more expensive, the forces of supply and demand are at work.

NAC or anyone else working for an international moving company => could you please pm me your company name and phone number.
I would need to ship personal effect from Taipei to Tokyo. It will most probably fit into a 40ft container. Thanks

I was thinking of putting my car and a bunch of boxes of personal belongings in a 20’ can. I’ve got permission to import my car back to Vancouver. I just need to figure out who to use.

My friend runs a yard that can pick the can up at the dock in Canada and bring it to my house if I want. I think he told me to use a certain company though…

Anyway. I don’t mind paying for a company to handle it from end to end. I just don’t know who to go for a quote, and technical info and rules on packin that sort of stuff.

Got any ideas?

Keefer Chang 0927-915-061 or email keefer@newideaacb.com.tw my friends shipped alot of stuff to Alberta for $10,000 NT with this guy, I think minimum was 3metres cubed, weight did not matter, I am dealing with him now to send stuff back and he has been great.