Patio28 in Sanxia, Taipei County (closed)

People start blogging about us and I have no idea if it’s good or bad …

Here’s one blogger’s write-up …

I usually use Babel fish. I just copy the chinese and paste it into the box. The traslations are strange but you usually get the general idea.

The pie looks nice :smiley:

Faaantastic! Excellent, excellent food, gracious service, wonderful atmosphere, beautiful decor. Even the china and silver added to the ambiance.

Oh, AND they played Gillian Welch.
Did I mention the pie? And the bread? The salad?
The prices are more than reasonable, and the portions (especially for the salad, which is such a rare treat around these parts) were perfect.

I will be back.

Thanks, we always do our best for the guests …

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]People start blogging about us and I have no idea if it’s good or bad …

Here’s one blogger’s write-up …[/quote]

Judging by the photos alone, it looks mouthwatering delicious. :lick: :lick: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And I live in bloody Hsinchu! :cry:

Guess I’ll just have to pack the wife in the car one weekend and come taste for meself.

We just enjoyed a great meal here, everyone loved it. Fantastic value, good beer, a good time. :thumbsup:

I suppoe I should pipe in as I have eaten here now 3 times. I’ve had the lamb stew, the beef beer stew, and the lamb chops. All were delicious, and well presented. Portions are not huge because they are part of a multi-course meal that includes bread, soup, salad, desert and coffee/tea that leaves one immensely satisfied. The Belgian beer selection is good and both jd and bp can offer advice on matching your beer with your meal.

Finally, the breads and pastries are wonderful. The bagles even got my Jewish friends seal of approval.

I go here after hiking in the Sanxia area and could literally do this every weekend.

[quote=“Mucha Man”] The bagles even got my Jewish friends seal of approval.

[/quote]

Just toasted some up, I concur, not Jewish but from NY next best thing lol

Re: your blog review. In general, very positive with a few very specific qualifications from the different diners. I think a careful review of the entire post and the comments would be very useful for you in getting an idea of what your Taiwanese customers are thinking (and how demanding they are). For example, they were unsure if they could choose the bread. The table next to them had different bread. They enjoyed the crusty bread and were very interested to know that it was handmade by the owner. This is probably a real selling point. Perhaps you could write up some information about the bread with pictures of you making it. They were a bit disappointed that the bread was cold (you know how Taiwanese like everything hot). In short there is a great deal of useful, specific information from customers.

Thank you for the answer Feiren, I guess that most of the questions they had on the blog are taken care off by now … we had our Taiwanese partner read it and address the problems and questions and hope she’ll keep it up in the future as I can not keep track of every guest’s, question, problem or issue … I’m just human and not Superman, therefor not perfect …

Of course not. I mainly think it is an excellent guide to how Taiwanese see Western restaurants. I especially liked the comment where someone said that she (?) at first thought she had read the address wrong (since Sanxia is such an, um, unusual kind of place for this kind of business). Anway, I’m looking forward to going coming by with some ravenous and thirst cyclists soon.

Patio28’s Thanksgiving dinner party is going to be held on Saturday November 29, starting at around 6:30 - 7:00 PM, it will be limited to 12 people …
Price is 1,600NT$ per person and includes 2 Belgian beers and a glass of red wine … on the menu will be the traditional Thanksgiving fare combined with a few not so traditional ones … there will be served 8 courses, large and small and to cap of the night each will get a turkey sandwich home to enjoy next day …

Those that have been on my previous Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners know that it’s worthwhile to come down to Sanxia …

PM me if you’re interested and wish to sign up … preferably before Wednesday evening, we cap at 12 …

In the fine Belgian tradition of great food and fandamtastic beers we are having a limited seating Thanksgiving Dinner Party this Saturday night at Patio28 in SanXia. We will close the restaurant early and from 6:30PM on it will be a private party.

The cost is 1600NT per person and given the amount of spirits in the air, it’s probably not an occasion suitable for young children. :wink:

Here’s the menu:
Starter Belgian Beer: Deus
Deviled eggs on crostini bread and pumpkin quiche
Salmon Trio, smoked, steamed and salmon roe, and shrimp something
Pumpkin Papaya Tomato soup
Belgian Beer: Orval
Venison with caramelized endive
Catch your breath with sorbet
Roast Turkey, stuffing, roasted squash and potato wedges with garlic and onion and house-made cranberry sauce
Red wine, cheese and bread plate
Dessert plate: pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, rice tarte and chocolate mousse

And finally, so the good feelings can continue into the following day, a Turkey sandwich on Belgian Pie’s bread to take home.

The bar will be open during and after dinner, so you may sample as much Belgian Beer as you wish (we have more than a dozen). For the non-beer drinking guy or gal, we have other spirits to sooth your soul.

Please respond here in the thread, or let me, BP, know via PM that you wish to attend so your place can be confirmed.

We very much hope to see you Saturday night!

:rainbow:

Due to the underwhelming response from Forumosans for a private dinner, we have to alter our Thanksgiving plans somewhat.

We will be offering now two T-Day meals to choose from this Saturday and Sunday after 6PM. Come one , come all!

One:
Pumpkin Ham/Bacon Quiche
Pumpkin Papaya Tomato Soup
Turkey Dinner w/ stuffing, roast potatoes and squash and cranberry sauce
Dessert Plate: rice tarte, pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie
For 560nt

Two:
Quiche
Salmon Duo w/shrimp
Pumpkin Papaya Tomato Soup
Venison w/ Caramelized Endive
Turkey Dinner w/ stuffing, roast potatoes and squash and cranberry sauce
Dessert Plate: rice tarte, pumpkin and sweet potato pies
For 880nt

The Deus “champage” beer and the Orval will be available, along with all our other fine Belgian beers, including Chimay, Rochefort, Duvel among others…

Hope to see you this weekend.

BP

Thanks for those who came and had a fantastic turkey dinner with us last night. The food was great and the beer divine.

It was a long day preparing everything by hand, including 2 shattered pie shells which had to remade from scratch, but in the end, it all worked out.

We are cooking another turkey this afternoon and will run the same dinner specials again tonight.

And we still had plenty of venison left!

I missed this post before visiting Pation this Saturday so that I only had lunch with my friends there.

Even though my friends and I didn’t have chance to enjoy the Western Thanksgiving traditions there, we still had fun and enjoy the great food. I took some pictures during our lunch. You can tell that our three-year-old little girl also had fun there.

This is what JDsmith called girly beer, a kind of sweet fruit flavored Belgian beer especailly introduced to my friend who is not used to drinking beer.

My friend was happily having food and couldn’t put them down when she was taking picture of me.

Beautiful Linda

The happy three-year-old girl, having good time and completed a 3-hour hike after we had lunch there.

Lovely pictures Kate.

I you caught JD Smith in the act - he said he had sworn off alcohol, but you caught him in the act. :slight_smile:

Well done, but you could have tried blackmailing him before posting the pic on forumosa.

Thank you. :slight_smile:

[quote=“almas john”]You caught JD Smith in the act - he said he had sworn off alcohol, but you caught him in the act. :slight_smile:

Well done, but you could have tried blackmailing him before posting the pic on forumosa.[/quote]

I don’t want him put some poison next time I have lunch or dinner there. I dare not to do it. But I can send you the picture to help you complete the scheme. :laughing:

Today I made sourdough ‘flatcakes’ … i.e. pancakes made from sourdough … sourdough that’s left from the starting-up process of the mother batch …