Pelosi visiting Taiwan in August 2022

I wouldn’t be so sure. They do a lot of medical research in Taiwan. That is often the cover for general research and could include research into nuclear topics.

I have. But I also feel I understand the say yes to your face and do the opposite culture. So there is that.

Except they were amassing troops and equipment and all western intelligence services were saying an invasion is imminent.

I think that’s the window of opportunity for China. We will know if it going to happen or not by then.

Looks like China is taking the approach of punishing Taiwan instead of the US, at least at this moment.

2 Likes

Just look at Ukraine. West won’t send help b/c fear of Putin’s nukes.

Also should keep an eye on the Chinese selling US treasury.

https://ticdata.treasury.gov/Publish/mfh.txt

They have been selling in the last 6 month. At this rate, if it continues, they’ll sell all in 5 years.

1 Like

It looks like the US stopped it.

Part of an interview of David Ho:

Jerome Keating, “Nuclear power and Taiwan,” Taipei Times, February 16, 2015

:thinking: unfortunately it’s more nuanced than that.

That was the point that they were making.

My intent was to help with the point by quoting a person who helped develop the bomb. All I was really doing was rehashing stuff referenced in a 2017 post:

You have such a twisted way of understanding. This election year is for every party and every voter! Pelosi will see many colorful billboards from candidates of Taipei mayor and counsel. She herself is an elected representative, so she will click with it.

Pelosi’s visit in this election year is an eye witness for Taiwan’s democracy.

4 Likes

You can show support without doing things to bring an attack closer to reality. Maybe what you really meant to say is the US told Taiwan they wouldn’t support them unless Taiwan started agitating China.

Like I said, to be America’s enemy is dangerous, to be their friend can be fatal. Let’s hope it won’t be a Ukraine 2.0 and Taiwan comes to their senses.

The US is simply doing something that would be completely normal for any other country. China has no right to Taiwan as it has no right to Singapore. Taiwan controls itself.

This is like saying a sexual assault victim shouldn’t seek support because her abusive ex boyfriend/stalker might attack her and that the ex has been planning to force her into marriage and has been planning an attack if she doesn’t agree to it.

The point of the right to self determination, is that a population is allowed to control its own destiny just like the way an individual is allowed to control his or her own destiny

9 Likes

This is IDEALological. I also IDEALLY agree Taiwan should build nukes and point them all at Shanghai if they want to, but realistically we know the result that would bring.

Don’t get me wrong, I think Taiwan should have red lines also and not let China completely walk over them, but banning stinky tofu is a red line. Having Peloci come shouldn’t be…

I said people haven’t learned the mistakes of Ukraine, and it clearly shows they have not.

1 Like

If a robber has a gun pointer to your temple and wants you to give up you wallet, are you going to refuse and tell them how you “want to control your own destiny”

Something things might be worth saying no to, but some things are just stupid.

And out of all the things to draw a red line for, it has to be Nanci Pelosi…

It would be better if it was Snoop Dog.

China’s not asking for Taiwan’s wallet. China’s asking to FORCIBLY KIDNAP Taiwan!

You give up the wallet, you still can live your life independently. Losing your wallet is not life threatening, it’s a setback. Getting kidnapped is. You get kidnapped, you don’t live your life independently.

Paul Bernardo kidnapped Kristen French. She still died. When you get kidnapped, you still likely will die!

Your choices are go along and die, or attempt to escape and maybe not die.

1 Like

What will Taiwan do if it “comes to [its] senses”?

1 Like

Call Lithuania?

1 Like

Tell Pelosi to fuck off, then fuck off some more.

I have a theory on what’s really going on, and that is America wanting to use Taiwan to agitate China if not outright start a war with them, and to use Taiwan as a threat to hold over China’s head.

“Agitate China, or we won’t help” is most likely the “self determinism” America has dictated that Taiwan should have.

2 Likes