POLL: Survey of favorite kinds of food by national origin in Taiwan that you eat

Aren’t potatoes originally from the Americas?

Is it Europeans who came to think of them as poisonous?

Guy

1 Like

Try Boxty or Colcannon, if made well is good (Better if you fly over to Dublin for lunch or Dinner, the flight might be less than the meal). Quite different from Taiwanese/Asian food, but good if your open to new tastes.

1 Like

That actually sounds pretty good. :drooling_face:

1 Like

Peru, apparently.

The French started that rumour. Nuff said. :grin:

2 Likes

Spanish food it’s very underrated in this poll :thinking:
or maybe because in Taiwan there are not many Spanish restaurants and the few are somewhat elitist and expensive?

1 Like

Very few, bordering on none, based on threads here. As far as I can tell the one I posted about in the second thread below has closed.

1 Like

I eat Korean food more than anything except taiwanese and I only eat that more because my girlfriend prefers taiwanese food. If it were up to me I’d eat Korea everyday with a small mix of American, japanese, Thai, and vietnamese

Mexican is my favorite, but it really sucks big donkey huevos here.

3 Likes

Since I saw the thing about potatoes, wanted to add that Kiwi fruit original was called Chinese gooseberry until some new Zealanders decided to take some back and cultivate it in new Zealand

so they dont taste good is that what you are saying? :grinning::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I hear you, but joints such as Fonda and Taco Luca and Masa (if you don’t mind the LA vibe) in Taipei and environs have raised the bar.

The Korean food here, with very few exceptions, can frankly be terrible, just as donkey ball sucking if not more! NB: Yes there are exceptions!

Guy

1 Like

I’ll mention this here: If you like “California style” sushi (not sure if there’s another term for it) then NCIS in Taipei and 121美式壽司 in Hualian City are excellent.

4 Likes

I agree about NCIS!

1 Like

Ahhh sorry i see what you mean. I agree, fresh raw foods are a HUGE plus! Its a thing i enjoy in certain places, its hard to be affordable without processed foods for many.

The americas are (is?) vastly underrated for their superior botanical skills and contributions to the world! Not really a lot of options for originally european plant foods on the menu haha. But they certainly are responsible for the logistics behind us enjoying them.

Totally agree. Where would we be, globally speaking, without the chilis and grains and tomatoes and potatoes of the Americas? :yum:

Guy

1 Like

Global population would be considerably smaller. In both ways

Global population started to explode after their botanical genious was introduced to the 4 corners. They werent the only ones, but they were a massive building block to our food development.

What is California style Euro or Taiwan style?

1 Like

Japanese sushi tends to be simpler with fewer ingredients, compared to what I call California style which combines many ingredients into complex flavor and texture (often including avacaco/cucumber/cream cheese, etc). An example from 121美式壽司 is their Angel Roll which is made from seared tuna, eel, salmon, avacado, fish roe, mustard-mayonnaise sauce, and coated with crispy powder.

3 Likes

Agreed about NCIS.