Popular TV shows you could never get into

I love all humor, but things like Duck Quacks Don’t Echo make me ashamed to be American.

Married with Children is timeless comedy, Seinfeld too.

I also agree with all of your no-gos. Shows like Third Rock and Big Bang Theory especially, I feel like I don’t understand the target audience even a little, to me they’re the antithesis of comedy.

1 Like

I’m with you on this. I can’t get into that Adult Swim kind of racket where everyone shouts punchlines quickly and angrily. Maybe when I was younger but not now.

1 Like

Any show with a laugh track after 2000 is an automatic no-go for me.

For me the best sitcoms since 2000 are Curb, It’s Always Sunny, Arrested Development (pre reboot) and Community.

Nothing else does it for me, certainly not crapola like Big Bang or Two and a Half Men.

Breaking Bad.

Been available on Netflix for ages now, but just never had the urge or interest to get into it.

Community

Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t get the humor. Joe McHale kind of annoys me for some reason. If the series had Ken Jeong as the main character, I would probably watch it. Him as a Spanish teachers is pretty hilarious.

I’d honestly give BB a shot, it’s pretty great.

Community and Rick and Morty, both Dan Harmon products, I think they’re funny and enjoy them, not maniacally or anything though. I can understand why people are indifferent as well.

The new Marvel Cinematic Universe television series : Wandavision , The Falcon and Winter Solder , Loki…

I feel all these characters already had their original purpose in the previous Avengers movies ,

The Marvel’s Netflix television series like Daredevil , Jessica Jones , The Punisher… have better writing and characters

I’ve tried to get many Taiwanese friends into my show (The Office), but no one seems to like it. Taiwanese prefer “drama”. Comedies are not really considered interesting here…

Kinda like how coal mines are not vacation hotspots.

wow that’s a Michael Scott level analogy there.

It’s like if a great vacation island existed, but was invisible. Whatever. :sweat_smile:

I really liked both the Brit and US versions.

I tried to get into Breaking Bad last year. Halfway into season 2 I was over it. I found it tonally very unbalanced. On the one hand it wanted to be remembered as television classic (which I guess it achieved), but it also resorted to a ton of cheap thrills and shock value like crushing someone’s head with an ATM which just annoyed me. In the end I just lost interest.

Another absolutely horrendous popular show is Casa de Papel. I was forced to watch 2 episodes of this embarrassment and I wanted my brain cells back. Holy fuck was it stupid.

I also stopped watching Succession after 1 season. The plot is pure Taiwanese soap, except with a much larger budget and a better cast. I didn’t find the humour all that funny either.

And finally I tried getting into Killing Eve as I am a huge Fleabag/Phoebe Waller-Bridge fan. I saw one episode and decided that it did not work for me. It’s got the same uneven tone problem as Breaking Bad.

1 Like

I have to be honest… I much prefer the UK version to the US one, which I think got too soapy and wacky in later year. But I appreciate the US one is super popular.

Interesting. I’d like to try BB again, loved it the first time, but do wonder a little how it would hold up on second view.

Succession I love, and usually dislike business mogul type shows.

Killing Eve was pretty bad for me too. Premise is cool, also like PWB and Fleabag a lot, I liked it a bit at the beginning but the writing and plot deteriorate quickly.

1 Like

I was the show. Only watch Seasons 2-7.

The Office (American version…can’t stand Steve Carell, although he was good in The Morning Show), any hospital show, any superhero show, Always Sunny (sorry @DrewC), Big Bang Theory (Silicon Valley is much better). Totally agree with @gain about Casa de Papel…completely unwatchable.

1 Like

I watched like three episodes, and I kept asking myself, “Is this supposed to be funny?” Every character was just incredibly annoying, even Danny DeVito’s, and I like Danny DeVito.

I think PWB was the showrunner for just season 1.

Well, at least we agree on sports. It’s like watching paint dry to me (especially baseball and soccer). I can’t watch any sports but football, where the time limits and the violence make things a little less boring.

2 Likes

IMO “The Office” (the UK version) is drama, but you probably have to be British to detect it.

Never understood the popularity of Frasier. It was the most banal tripe I’ve ever seen.