Potentially racist videos allegedly posted by TAS students

It doesn’t say which international school the student went to, but this could be the incident mentioned above. The 13 year old son of a Taiwanese American celebrity couple was suspended from an international school in Taiwan for calling his classmate (who is black) the worst word you could possibly say.

1 Like

I just think any church with more than 50 people is too big. Good thing I haven’t found mega churches in Taiwan but I hate them. I prefer more individual ministry rather than one size fit all.

But on topic, many people in TAS are really spoiled and entitled, and this is likely just the tip of the iceberg. The school expelled him probably to save face. But seriously the school is full of basically the elites of Taiwanese society.

Yep. Rich, entitled, spoiled Taiwanese who have never actually lived in America or for any significant amount of time. I personally know of two students whose parents played the birth tourism game in order to gain US citizenship for their children. I would consider them passport thieves.

TAS is nothing like back in the 60s to early 70s when it was a US DoD school. Americans actually used to attend Taipei AMERICAN School back then. Pity.

2 Likes

They could base admission on PARENT’s citizenship and all of this would stop. But unfortunately if they did that they’d close down. They need the money, and given that people are having less children, and many American expats can’t really afford their tuition (and so they send their kids to normal Taiwanese schools or morrison academy) they probably had to somehow relax their requirements to stay in business.

But it’s basically a prep school so the attitude of the students there reflects that. Notice Tienmu does not have reliable public transportation like the rest of Taipei. Only buses that runs along Zhongshan N Rd Sec. 6-7 runs every 30 minutes while all the high frequency buses turns away as soon as it reaches section 6 for some reason. I wonder why? Is it to force the rest of the plebs to walk in the hot sun? While most residents there have cars?

US should end this.

It also sucks for some accidental americans, they have to comply with FATCA and even possibly pay taxes to the US even if they’ve never lived in the US.

1 Like

There’s a bus every 12 seconds on Zhongshan N Rd Sections 6-7.

2 Likes

Last time I went to The Center the biggest problem is getting there by bus. It’s not a far walk but when it’s HOT and MISERABLE every second outside is torture. I can choose my poison, Zhishan, Mingde, or Shipai, and it’s a guess which of them will take you anywhere near Zhongshan N Rd Sec. 6. But as far as I know there’s a bus that goes to Taipei Veteran General Hospital that hopefully loops around TAS, but one of the problem with bus systems in Taiwan is the number of buses, and by the time you figured out which bus takes you where you want to go, that bus already passed up.

But yea it’s probably more my lack of planning than anything.

Maybe the resident of Tienmu can afford to build a dome over the entire area and air condition it?

Ahhh…but they don’t. If they are ethnically Han Chinese with Taiwanese citizenship, they open a bank account with their Taiwan id and don’t mention that they have American citizenship. I know at least three who are in this situation. Two of them are big time department heads at NTU. They do not file US taxes, EVER and they never report their bank accounts to the US. But, they’ve got their special US passport as a safety net in the event that China invades.

The third is a senior executive at a tech company. He makes a shit load of money and even under the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, he would still have to pay taxes to the US. So, he doesn’t. He doesn’t declare his income and doesn’t file taxes, like EVER. His bank accounts are never declared to the US. He and his wife had a daughter, but he’s deathly afraid to try to get her US citizenship at the AIT because of the ramifications of failing to file taxes and the fact that he’s got millions that he would have to pay taxes on. When I first met him at a dinner party I walked up to him and said, “Hey, my name is Malcolm, my wife tells me that you’re an American, too.” He replied in super shitty accented English, “No, I’m not an American. I’m Taiwanese!” I then said, “Oh, well my wife must have been mistaken thinking that you were from San Francisco and were a 49ers fan.” He replied, “Yes, that’s me.” I then said, “So, you are an American.” He finalized our conversation with the slap in the face response, “No, I’m not an American, I just have a US passport!”

That is the prevailing attitude that I’ve encountered over the last 20 years here in Taiwan. “I’m an ABC, I’m not an American, I just have a US passport!”

I bled for this shit?!

1 Like

How is this possible? I went to open a bank account with the Post Office and they pointed at my birthplace being the U.S. and refused. Said they’d have to file annoying paperwork. I could probably have went back and made it happen, but it wasn’t worth it at the time. Similarly, I tried to apply for a Taobaozheng for China. Saw the U.S. birthplace and they said it wasn’t possible unless I signed a document saying I’d renounced U.S. citizenship. Do they all just sign this document and hope no one checks? Seems like a pretty significant risk.

There are lots of people who were born in Taiwan but are naturalized U.S. citizens.

3 Likes

Yes that does work since the birthplace isn’t an easy giveaway. I was wondering about the parachute babies though.

The two NTU department chairs and the businessman were all born in Taiwan and managed to weasel their way to US citizenship during their PhD studies. Absolutely had no intent on immigrating to America and becoming full-fledged US dwelling citizens. Just wanted the passports and to return to Taiwan once they got them. BTW…according to them, they’re not Americans, they just have US passports! Isn’t that just great?! High positions of authority in the Taiwanese educational system and have these views.

So…how about you? American born Chinese (ABC)? American born Taiwanese (ABT)? Just a US passport holder, but not a US citizen?

Here’s a novel idea. How about ABA? American born American!

1 Like

When I open a bank account anywhere, my country of birth says Taiwan. Unless I personally disclose I’m a US citizen or use my US passport, they would not know.

1 Like

It sounds like the best strategy is to be born in Taiwan to US citizen parents and get citizenship through them, or travel to the US early enough to get citizenship easily. Then you avoid the birthplace issue. More nuanced than birthing a child on a trip to the States.

ABA seems like you’d be a Native American perhaps. Or maybe 10 generations in the US with little connection to the original heritage. There’s Americans who are still considered Chinese or Japanese even 5 generations out with no connection to their heritage, so it’s got to be more then 5…

As for me, I’m a ABT but lean towards being a third culture kid.

1 Like

Has anyone seen this news? I thought higher of the father, with his international background and all

Already posted here:

2 Likes

Most of readers here heard of the news.
Can anyone confirm if “黑X” represents the “n-word”?
If so, the kid must’ve heard it from someone.
Either other classmates who didn’t get caught, or maybe parents, who knows.
Isn’t there a picture of the dad interviewing/hosting Kobe Bryant (RIP) when KB was in Taiwan?

3 Likes

Yeah. What is this?

And what is the kids dad famous for?

I don’t know exactly what they do (both mom and dad are famous), they grew up abroad , don’t know if the USA or another place. They are always very proud to speak in English and explaining terms in Chinese, so I am sure his kids are not behind on the current slang trends.

They are tv host, have sponsorships, are in lot and lots of ads, they are pretty famous.

I read this thread here then but I didn’t know it was related, wow, so this is not new and they are 明星kids… tried to keep it silenced

2 Likes