Proper Kebab - Where art thou?

YARN | - Why? - It would be bad. | Ghostbusters (1984) | Video clips by quotes | f64e5a7a | 紗

1 Like

I think the lamb is good too. Tried the Turkish kebab/wrap/roll place on the same street.

Same price(120), but much smaller. Tasted fresh but I’d need at least two and then it is pretty expensive for what it is.

@LondonSpice is this the one you said is moving to Tainan in the other thread?

4 Likes

No not this one, much smaller the one I mentioned. Gongguan.

How is this Safranbolu place? Worth an Uber order?

It’s at 4.3, which is kind of an ‘anything goes’ or ‘your mileage may vary’ zone, between definitely good (high 4s) and definitely mediocre (sub 4s).

I like it, but I’m not so sure about getting it as an Uber order. (Just because of what delivery does to food quality.)

See a brief other thread about it:

2 Likes

Yeah, it should be alright. My budget app says I haven’t been in almost exactly 4 years (:grimacing:) but that’s because I started cooking more and it’s on the other side of town - I used to go semi-regularly. Kept meaning to go back.

I’ve only gotten kebabs from the downstairs bit facing the street, never from the pricier restaurant upstairs, but the menu looked good too.

2 Likes

Thanks youse guuuuys :heart:

I’ll try it and report back.

Not impressed with your kebab then…? :sweat_smile:

It was good! Not great, but a solid B-grade. @lostinasia was right though, as it was a bit soggy from its own sauces by the time it got to me.

3 Likes

Budget app? What app links up with credit cards here?

No idea. I don’t have any credit cards here, and I’m 95% a cash guy anyway. :man_detective:

3 Likes

Heads up

They don’t serve alcohol

How does your budget app work then? You just type in your outgoings?

Eh, I was ordering on Uber anyway.

1 Like

Yeah, exactly. I just enter everything I earn and spend. It’s probably a bit pointless because I don’t do anything with the data and it doesn’t affect what I spend or anything, but I’ve been doing it for 10 years or so. :man_shrugging:

It’s this one: Expense IQ.

2 Likes

Well, the Guys who own it are strict Muslims so if you do stop by in an evening, you will be drinking tea

1 Like

Anyone been here? The dine in spot.

Shishlik Pita x Kebab 西西里克中東串燒

Also not really the same, but just in case. Anyone been here as well?

我愛希臘捲餅tpe Souvlaki

The souvlaki place is decent and the owner is nice, though I haven’t got around to going back for maybe a couple of years. I used to go there pretty frequently.

Not sure about the Shisklik place. I’ve had that marked in my Google Maps to check out for ages but I’ve never made it.

1 Like

Alright. Went to a couple spots. Here is our opinion.

Shishlik Pita x kebab 西西里克中東料理餐館店
We went in bias and hopeful. Sadly, it was waaaay too salty. Salty is fine, if it brings out the flavors. We actually tasted salt, both sauces.

Because of that 3-4/10. Giving them the benefit of the doubt, maybe they just messed up and put in too much. As their sauce types were quite good…just way overboard on the salt. Their cuts of meat were also low quality (beef and mutton).

We had:
Pide (kind of Taiwanese pizza like like)
Pita (soso)
Moroccan style tajine (beef)
Testi kebab (mutton)
Salty yogurt drink (we liked this)

我愛希臘捲餅 tpe Souvlaki
This was a bombshell Sadly. Pretty much a French fry joint, which was VERY disappointing. Only good thing was the wife’s attitude and the Greek salad.

We had:

Souvlaki Platter x2 (pork and chicken). 1/10

Sadly was just one skewer and loads of fries, a Pita and some greens. That was a bummer!

Souvlaki wrap. Bread was OK, but not great. The sauce was bad. Meat was OK. Falafel and hummus, chicken, pork, beef, lamb. None were good and all had frigging French fries in them :nauseated_face:

Tzatziki was decent. The garlic is HOT, be warned. We like garlic though.

Fish and chips

Definitely won’t go back again. Good if you want fries haha. Bad if you want that regions food style.

Disappointed we hit up a a night market. Although I really don’t like taiwnaese msg style bbq sauce. The skewers here are much much better.

1 Like

1/10 seems a bit harsh! Especially in Taiwan.

Yeah, there are fries inside. I don’t mind them, but I remember sometimes taking at least some of them out and eating them as a side (so just meat and sauce inside the bread, because I probably ordered without salad).

Maybe you should try Safranbolu if you’re still around in Taipei for a while. I’ve only ever ordered from the street-side bit, never eaten inside, but their kebabs used to be pretty decent IMO. (For Taiwan, and I also haven’t been in a couple of years.)

2 Likes