Protein Shakes?

When you are trying to eat 400g of protein every day, shakes cone in handy. There are only so many chicken breasts and eggs you can handle week after week.

When trying to get 400g of protein daily, shakes are a blessing. One man can only eat so much chicken and eggs.

If youā€™re getting protein shakes, maybe you should cut back. :ponder:

[quote=ā€œfunkymonkeyā€]Stop wasting your money on protein powders. Listen to Rich Piana:

[/quote]

LOL, yeah listen to Rich Piana. The ā€¦<cough, cough>ā€¦ā€œsupplementsā€ he recommends work better than protein, no doubt.

For us natural guys, I think quality protein, training, and sleep might work better but maybe thatā€™s just me.

I read somewhere that modern (the more common cheaper way) whey protein processing makes it very hard for humans to absorb all the materials, and some of it gets stuck in the abdomen/intestine. is that urban legend?

Yeah, thatā€™s almost certainly not gonna happen. Bad/poor quality whey tends to do the opposite and comes out rather quickly in the form of ā€œprotein fartsā€ or a quick trip to the toilet.

That doesnā€™t change the fact that eating real food is ALWAYS better than using protein powders. Itā€™s also no secret that pro bodybuilders are juiced to the gillsā€¦ I understand that you want to sell powders at your gym, but the are a waste of money. Period.

That doesnā€™t change the fact that eating real food is ALWAYS better than using protein powders. Itā€™s also no secret that pro bodybuilders are juiced to the gillsā€¦ I understand that you want to sell powders at your gym, but the are a waste of money. Period.[/quote]

Iā€™ve learned that telling people to eat ā€œreal foodā€ is often a waste of your time. ā€œReal foodā€ that is high in protein is extremely difficult to come by in local restaurants. If you find meat dishes, they are often high in fat due to oils. Oils? Sometimes not even fit for human consumption. See the recent scandals.

Cook your own? good luck with that. I tell people to go to Costo all the time and I always hear ā€œI donā€™t have timeā€ or ā€œI donā€™t have a kitchen,ā€ etc.

Most people need and appreciate a ready to drink option that is a. super clean, b. pure protein, c. very convenient.

So while you might want to portray protein powders as a waste of money, they are not.

I recently finished a whey protein container I bought before and started looking into ā€œhealthierā€ choices for daily protein supplement. I exercise regularly and now came to my attention that I started drinking whey protein probably because of the good marketing behind it for gym-goers and/or people who regularly exercise instead of their actual health benefits. This being said, the ā€œhealthierā€ choices I found were to be plant-based protein powders like Garden of Life. But then it hit me, what if thatā€™s just part of the good marketing from their part as well. After all, these are all companies looking into market expansion, profit and not really into peopleā€™s well-being per se. Digging a bit more into them all, I found that there have been studies looking into heavy metals found in protein shakes such as arsenic, lead, mercury and cadmium, with Garden of Life having a bit of a history in the past few years regarding this topic. I would assume these are most likely found in all sorts of processed food anyway, in different amount of course.

I know it will all come to me to decide whatā€™s good but my question is can anyone tell me something good about these proteins? Is the heavy metals discussion crap? Is the Garden of Life really a good choice? Anyone eating any protein supplement that they would recommend?

Iā€™m to the point where I would just rather start focusing on eating more protein-rich natural food instead of all these processed crap. After all, there is a lot of truth behind the ā€˜we are what we eatā€™ statement.

Thank you in advance.

How about Greek yogurt or soft tofu blended with nut milk and berries. Add a touch of stevia or honey if it needs more sweetness.

2 Likes

Yes, I already have that added into my routine. :slight_smile: except for the soft tofu. Will look into it. Thank you!

The soft tofu works great because it has the perfect texture and easily takes on the flavor of whatever you add.

Some ideas over here. Soybean milk, egg whites, seaweed, etc.

2 Likes

After your workout why not just consume 1 or 2 tea eggs from the store? I keep cans of tuna fish around for snacks but you really canā€™t find anything better than tuna fish for protein. Stop at the local buffet as often as needed to keep 2 or 3 pieces of fried chicken in the refrigerator. Your body can only absorb so much protein at a time. Just munch on tuna fish or chicken or tea eggs as a snack and youā€™ll easily satisfy what protein needs your body has.

Are you lifting heavy weights? Unless you are really doing heavy weights and wanting to really muscle up, a normal diet will be sufficient. The covid got me depressed and I lost weight and I look like a skinned squirrel. Muscles have POPPED out but they were simply hidden by the extra weight that covered them. Iā€™m still just as strong with the weights. Despite losing weight and not doing as much weight (I bought 30kg of dumbell/barbell weights during lockdown) when I went back to the gym 2 weeks ago I had not lost any strength.

You are correct. You got sucked in by marketing. Just pop the lid off a small can of tuna fish and itā€™s all your body needs for a whole day. Divide it into 3 or 4 portions so you can consume throughout the day. Eat a tea egg every 3 or 4 hours. Eat more chicken.

So simple to get the protein you need from very easy to buy, easy to afford sources.

2 Likes

Yes, I used to consume tuna a few years ago and I could probably go back to that as well. Any tuna brand you can recommend? I used to eat one that came in olive oil but I donā€™t seem to find that here anywhere.

1 Like

Like others have said unless doing serious weightlifting or other muscle taxing exercise you may be able to get enough protein with a balanced diet. Understand the PER (protein efficiency ratio) of various protein to get a good basic understanding of protein and why the amino acid ratio is important.
I agree with comments about tuna but not worry about mercury levels in todayā€™s tuna. When I was exercising more I added a milk/egg protein powder occasionally to my diet. Meanwhile, poached eggs are excellent with eggs being #1 on the PER scale.

Iā€™m presently out of tuna so I canā€™t look at what I fancy. I know the packaging but Iā€™m not totally hooked on any certain brand. The kind I get comes in small cans and itā€™s usually 3 to a pack. The PX or Wellcome is where I usually shop. I think even the small convenient stores have these. Itā€™s really perfect. Just pop open the can and eat it all with chop sticks. Perfect late night snack after emptying a bunch of beer cans.

The powders really are a scam. Quick google. Your body can only utilize so much protein and the rest is waste.

Explain to me what you are trying to do? Pack on muscle? Look fit? What are you trying to do? I studied all of this in college and was a serious weight lifter for a time in my 20ā€™s. Iā€™ve been in the gym here in Taiwan nearly 10 years straight with only short breaks here and there. Iā€™m knowledgeable about metabolism, nutrition, physiology, pathology, cell metabolism etc. All of these things will help you with your fitness goals.

1 Like

Yes, I think will opt for having my protein intake from a balanced diet.

Iā€™m not a serious weightlifter, Iā€™m mostly trying to look fit so I do a lot of cardio, abdominal exercises, leg exercises and machines to have toned biceps and pectoralis. Rarely do I do dumbbells but I could add it to my routine too.

1 Like

Really easy to get fit looking. Youā€™ll wreck your kidneys and liver doing those protein shakes and other supplements. Iā€™m at the gym now. Iā€™ll give you a quick rundown of what I do

Iā€™m 50. The biggest thing is to be dedicated. Be consistent. Keep some weights at home if you canā€™t make it to the gym. Day 1 Do legs. Day 2 do back and biceps. Day 3 do chest, shoulders, and triceps. Repeat. Try and get your routine close to hitting everything 2 times a week.