Returning home to the UK

:scream:

1 Like

Earlier than that. I was shopping at a Tesco in Tainan in 2001, although by 2004 or so I’d mostly given up as it carried fewer and fewer imported goods.

The thread linked below is from 2002. Next thread below that is about the handover to Carrefour, which seems to have wrapped up in 2006.

i literally moved back to London this morning (from Taipei), going to start looking for jobs soon…

As many have said it is the best city in world if you have money, otherwise not so much. But for me its also home.

Im not ruling out going back to Taiwan in future, we’ll see :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yeah that’s fair - I don’t think much would beat living near Holland Park, personally. Bit out of reach for me though. Da’an Park on the other hand…

Gosh its been so long since i was in london, im thnking 1992 (i think) here. And i tried to take the tube once and i literally don’t know how anyone could even get into the tube station. It must have been like the MRT after the Dec 31st fireworks. Was insane. I didn’t take the tube.

I can’t imagine its better now? OR maybe it is as it can’t be worse I think.

as they say in taiwan…good ruck.

Nah it’s still heavily crowded - Tokyo-ites on the Yamanote think they have it bad

No aircon either, ventilation is dependent on the trains piston effect causing positive pressure and vacuum. Having a bottle of water is essential in summer.

the MRT has aircon but i dunno how people cope in the above ground sections in summer while drinking is banned on the train. Travelling from Tamsui to Yuanshan onwards the train must get toasty, without water it would be awful.

You think these

are terrible?

1 Like

Yes, I don’t like them. Everything besides pineapple cakes. But I’m not a big pastry guy. Don’t really like desserts besides a few things.

1 Like

Fair enough, not to be the language police, but not liking desserts is quite a bit different to saying “Taiwan desserts are terrible”. The former suggesting a personal preference whereas the latter is saying that they are all bad and no one will like them.

Bee removed from bonnet.

1 Like

I just don’t get how anyone could prefer some disgusting, overly sweet English crap over something delightful like a taro cake roll.

1 Like

So many great cakes and pastries on the ROC

Here we pay five bucks for a small piece of cake and any cookie or pastry is three bucks and up

Paid 14 bucks at a small Taiwanese restaurant yesterday for a lurohfan lunch box

Was good but that’s only about 3 bucks in Taiwan

1 Like

3元?! Where’s this? I assume not in Taipei, I haven’t seen anything that cheap.

Bucks denotes US dollars
I’m in California

I love cake but those don’t appeal to me at all.

2 Likes

What kind of cakes do you like then?

Taiwanese cakes tend to be too light and airy and heavy on whipped cream and fruit for my taste. I like a denser cake and heaver creams or moderate icing. I saw a very appealing piece of carrot cake at mia cucina today I want to go back for

1 Like

I’m not always a fan of whipped cream but the fact that’s it’s light is why it’s better. All the cakes I’ve had in Europe were just way too heavy (and I’m assuming cakes in America would be similar or heavier).

And I say no to anything carrot sorry. And 190/slice is outrageous.

1 Like

Expensive for me too but looks great!

Sure, that’s a matter of taste.

How’s about the mochi floating in fermented rice, that’s a difficult one to beat.

Not exactly sweet, but a distinctive taste
Youcha:
https://images.app.goo.gl/fBVvRSuEKjgqwyHt8

2 Likes