Russia invades Ukraine: General Discussion 2023

Itā€™s pretty clear what @TT is saying here.

Itā€™s not that the Russians are running with their tails between their legs. An odd metaphor to use.

EDIT: Idiom. My mistake.

Letā€™s wait a couple more weeks and see what the press is saying then.

The source I follow mainly hasnā€™t found anything surprising lately, he does a 1 hour podcast every day and seems to digest information from all round and basically seems to be getting it right. Not a Russian he is based in London but does follow the Russian updates, as he does all the updates from all sides.

Lately I usually just scroll down to the timestamps to see if anything of note is being discussed rather than listen to the whole thing.

Itā€™s been a couple of weeks for well over seventy weeks.

I made a comment about a week ago following a comment by @TT that the Russians were retreating, I asked if that was really true, he politely answered with details on the north and south counter offensives.

I then had another poster lose it a little and demanded to know why I would question such a thing and I said lets look at things in about 3 weeks, so 2 more weeks from when I posted that, I suggested Bakhmut would be in Russian hands by then.

Basically it was flying in the face of what I had been hearing every day for months and on a daily basis.

Itā€™s flying in the face of what you had been hearing at the start of the invasion. Should have been over within a week.

1 Like

No, not really. It was stated way back in August or even July of last year by the Russian commander he wanted to turn Bakhmut into a killing zone, not to take it over and that Ukranians would keep pouring resources into it and his goal wasnā€™t to take it quickly. It was to wear down Ukrainian forces. I heard today it was called operation meatgrinder.

Horrible name, I know.

That was Putinā€™s invasion objective? He had an issue with Bakhmut?

1 Like

The objective was clearly stated, one way or another the Ukrainian army would no longer pose a threat to Russia.

Bakhmut, and I remember this stated back last year, they made the claim they would use it to exhaust as many resources as possible, it wasnā€™t about taking the ground.

Not the perfect starting point 51.30, but discussing this aspect

It was a land grab that a delusional and out of touch leader thought heā€™d get lucky with.

I think weā€™ll only ever disagree with Putinā€™s thinking behind his invasion.

1 Like

Now you want to get into why Putin invaded. But not really, you have already got that figured out and any suggestion otherwise is going to be met with hostility as it has before along with the name calling. Iā€™ll take a pass on that, thank you very much.

I may have got emotional and name called in the past. In which case I apologise. I donā€™t recall it, but it probably happened.

Presumably you have figured out why Putin invaded and you donā€™t wish to discuss it further, fearing risk of getting upset from hostility.

EDIT: I agree letā€™s just ā€œtake a passā€. Itā€™s pointless

1 Like

I presumed and have said earlier i think his real reason whatever he says in public is he wants the oil and gas and the land grab for various reasons, that much I agree with you on.

But itā€™s a bit more complicated than that too. High on the list would not be losing Crimea, which relates to a previous land grab, but we are talking about the 2022 invasion.

Itā€™s been great for his prison budget :sweat_smile:

Meat grinder indeed

DenaziNATOfiBiolabication, and stopping the genocide of ethnic Russians

Getting desperate to the point where they offer people passports from the UK or EU:

1 Like

Sounds legit

Screenshot 2023-05-23 at 08.18.44

3 Likes

Yes, it could be a fake job, run by East Europeans.

Interesting analysis:

Sharing another reliable source as usual. :grin:

1 Like

Lol, some people must be desperate to find interesting things to share

Do you know where the eastern most part of continental Europe is?

It isnā€™t even an interesting tweet