Russia invades Ukraine: Specific Developments 2023

It’s like a bank robber taking out the security cameras but leaving the tapes in the recorder. It looks to me like they know that are doing something illegal, or they wouldn’t try and make it look like an accident, shooting it down would be to obvious.

Don’t they normally have AWACS around monitoring and relaying communications?

1 Like

NATO? I don’t think Turkey has much say on who gets in the EU

2 Likes

Yes, NATO. My bad. Shouldn’t post during class.

3 Likes

Stop playing with your phone and listen to the teacher :imp:

4 Likes

The International Criminal Court on Friday issued an arrest warrant for President Vladimir V. Putin of Russia for war crimes, saying he bore criminal responsibility for the abduction and deportation of Ukrainian children.

Putin’s war crime is deporting Ukrainian children?

Looks like somebody is threading the needle on that one to make sure they don’t make anybody in the West nervous.

Yes that is a crime against human rights. How about somebody invades Alabama and starts shipping the kids to Mexico. What’s going on there is horrendous. No need for any whataboutism.

1 Like

Putin’s real war crime is illegally invading another country. Charging him with deportation of children is like charging a murderer with assault and battery.

The Biden administration has been engaged in an internal dispute over whether to provide the court with evidence gathered by the U.S. intelligence community about Russian war crimes. Most of the administration favors transferring the evidence, according to people familiar with the internal deliberations, but the Pentagon has balked because it does not want to set a precedent that could pave the way for eventual prosecutions of Americans. – New York Times

international airspace. not lunch.

Or like nailing Al Capone for tax evasion.

Guy

2 Likes

Likely the Russian defensive lines have been set up along all the occupied territory by now, going to be difficult to repeat the success of last summer

1 Like

It appears that Reuters interviewed some Wagner soldiers:

1 Like

Luckily the couple in the civilian car survived.

Police identified the soldier as Klim Kerzhaev – a 25-year-old commander from Moscow, who served in the 2nd Motorized Rifle Division of the 1st Tank Army in the Western Military District. He is accused of the attempted murder of a civilian – a war crime under Article 438 of the Criminal Code of Ukraine.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/03/21/europe/russian-soldier-accused-war-crimes-audio-files-intercepted-ink-hnk/index.html

Fairly recent stuff, I guess:

–AP1 and AFP2 say Ukraine is using old Soviet attack helicopters.

Aljazeera3 and the BBC4 say Britain is sending depleted uranium anti-tank rounds to Ukraine.

The Daily Mail5 and The Irish Times6 say the UN has condemned both Russia and Ukraine for summarily executing prisoners of war.

I guess this video is about a week old, but I think that some of the information in it is probably older:

From about 8:28 to about 9:04:

According to Chris Capelluto, in order to try to overcome the entrenched Ukrainian forces at Bakhmut, the Russians appear to have been using “storm units,” consisting of “one to two main [T-72] battle tanks and two to four BMP[-2] infantry fighting vehicles, and forty to eighty soldiers. . . .”

At about 10:00, Capellutto says that captured documents indicate that the Russians intend to use urban warfare principles to storm Bakhmut. Unless I’ve misunderstood, Capelluto is saying that if all else fails, the Russians plan to use artillery.

About the storm units, Capellutto says that being assigned to a storm unit is sometimes used “to penalize disobedient soldiers.”

At around 10:46, Capelluto seems to use visual aids and to describe these storm unit tactics in a greater detail than I would care to set down in this post.

From about 13:33 he discusses instructions for “treeline assaults” in the captured Russian documents.

Hope I didn’t confuse anyone.

Edited to add (bearing in mind that I’ve only watched half of this video):

Capelluto discusses the importance of Bakhmut as if it is something like a thing in and of itself, independent of strategic concerns. If I understand him correctly, he thinks that it is important mainly because of the fact that it has been assigned importance by both sides. But he also mentions a certain two roads as giving the site additional importance.

4 Likes

A Pyrrhic victory for Russia. At best.

1 Like

Capelluto mentions this man’s tweets about storm units; this is one of them (I think this is the beginning of a series of tweets about those kinds of units):

https://twitter.com/Tatarigami_UA/status/1634799689840066561

This man is apparently a Ukrainian reserve officer; at any rate, he seems quite knowledgeable about this type of warfare. Above this series of tweets, he has other information.

I’m starting to think that by the time I get some kind of dim idea of what’s going on here, the war might be over.

Whoa

Ukraine continues attacking religion, because burning books, banning language and attacking people with certain religions and culture are all part of Western values.

(1930s Germany Western values to be specific)

1 Like

Some perspective