Safety for women in Taiwan

Yeah, nah. I have no idea what you is on about.

Its pretty obvious what a brothel and ktv place here is. So in this sense, the culture condones that. Even have them near schools…girls that work there would need to be literally retarded to not know what happens there. Doesnt justify rape at all, but its like walking outside in a typhoon and surprised you got wet.

The more innocent realms of.common rape, that i have seen anyway, are at non sex worker places of employment, schools and especially within families. Drug addicts get it a lot as well. Taiwan does have a lot of this. But it seems pretty easy to avoid all those as a traveller here as you have no family, you dont need to work, didnt grow up as a youngin in schools here and no need to go to brothels and ktvs/bars. Easy to avoid. I would assume that rape off the street here is still relatively low by world standards. In every country we have been, i have always worried about my wife going out at night in the cities, but not taiwan.

1 Like

You have the theory that women don’t go to clubs here for avoiding being raped. The thing is that clubbing is not big here for both men and women. But even if this were not the case, you need some evidence for coming to that conclusion… apart from you imagining it.

I NEVER in my MANY years in Taiwan heard any woman saying “oh, no! I don’t want to go there because I’ll get raped”. I have however heard “I don’t like going there like those stupid girls” or “the girls going there are not decent”.

1 Like

Sorry, that was so retarded that I can’t help it but keep writing about it. As pointed out before, most of the sexual abuse happens in the family/close circle. On the top of that, there aren’t any news that I can recall of rapes related to clubs. A club is NOT a KTV.

Seriously, where did you get that fuckin’ stupid idea from?

They don’t want to be uncomfortable. So they avoid it.

I never said rape by the way. You made that conclusion

Sounds like a bunch of immature assholes.

2 Likes

(Edit: what I wrote below has since been put into perspective by @nz in this post . It seems my impression and the impression of my female friends was overly positive, and reality is not that “almost perfect” in terms of safety on the street. So, while Taiwan probably much is safer than most places on earth, it’s likely not always/everywhere as good as I made it sound below:)

As mentioned before, but just to make it really, really clear: Taiwan seems to be an exceptionally safe place for women to walk alone at night on the street.

As far as I understand: Anywhere. Any time. Any dressing style, including skimpy clubbing clothes. No no-go zones where you have any significant risk to be raped. Similar extraordinary situation for mugging. Or losing your phone or wallet.

My understanding is based on experience and impression of quite a few female friends, foreign and local. It fits my impression too - but of course I can’t be 100% sure. Would be interested to hear if anyone has significantly different impression or even data.

As discussed very widely already, Taiwan is not perfect at all, though. There are other situations and places where one needs to be much more careful. Just this “extremely little violent street crime or rape” thing absolutely stands out positively.

4 Likes

Yes, Taiwanese sales guys. They’re not exactly well-rounded individuals. Sort of guys who like to drink till their faces turn very red, shout at each other and then have a good vomit.

In England we’d call them chavs. But they’d be a bit more fighty.

3 Likes

A good percentage of them like to dress up like women too.

1 Like

Um, no. I know of foreign women who have had men jump out from behind bushes and attack them while they were out running in the middle of the day and in public places, perfectly placed as to avoid getting caught by CCTV. Your statement makes it sound like Taiwan is in some alternate universe from one that human beings live in. I will have to assume that you are not a women and have never walked down the street wearing even a knee length dress with heels. Sure, I feel safer in Taipei than I might in Chicago dressed like that, but men still feel perfectly justified in stopping, staring, and pointing you out to their buddies for much longer than is appropriate (which is exactly zero seconds). If you think it always stops at staring, you are either naive or stupid.

Go to the police with absolutely ANY crime allegation and if you haven’t already done ALL the investigation work for them, they will NOT let you report the crime. Sexual assault is virtually impossible to prosecute and no officer wants something on their record as something they didn’t successfully bring to a close. It’s absolutely pathetic that there were less than 200 rape cases reported last year. There are probably more than that happening in a day.

I don’t know of any woman in this country who hasn’t experienced some form of sexual assault, some of them from drunk bus drivers. DO NOT go around suggesting that rape and sexual assault is something that rarely happens here or that it’s something that only happens among families or in KTVs. Most women, and worse, girls, have no idea what inappropriate touching even is and will genuinely think they should just brush off things that I would take straight to the police (and the press when the police inevitably do nothing).

I myself was sexually assaulted and the FIRST question the Taiwanese friend I confided in asked was “well what were you wearing?”. FUCK YOU I WAS WEARING JEANS AND A T-SHIRT. Victim blaming is VERY real, everywhere on earth, Taiwan much, much more than the West. In the West, at least some have begun to recognize that it is men, socialized to think they can do whatever the hell they want to whomever the hell they want that are to blame for violence against women, not the women (and victims) themselves.

And don’t get me started on abuse against minors done by school teachers in public that I have recorded video of that admin have brushed off as “nothing to be concerned about”. All the training I had to go through in the US where I was warned that not reporting seeing things like inappropriate touching could leave me liable, right out the window.

There is no such thing as consent or body boundaries in this country. Are you safer in Taipei than London or NYC as a women walking alone? Sure. Does that say anything at all? Not really. Taipei generally is “safer” than other cities of its size, but it’s also very, very deferent to men and boys, especially under the law. And no one speaks out about that except for people like me, who are told to “shut up and stop being so judgmental of Taiwanese culture”.

8 Likes

You’re telling us you have footage of teachers molesting students? why don’t you go to the police with it? or send it to the media? or, could you please give the details of that “abuse”? thanks.

2 Likes

Yes, I do. Or did, not sure if I deleted it or not and don’t actually want to go digging into my phone’s videos to relive it. One video has the head of the county education bureau stopping by and talking to the teacher in question while a student was sitting on the teacher’s lap (on his dick) and the teacher was playing with the child’s hair in an obviously sexual way. I asked a local friend to take it to the police to keep me out of it, but it was clear that I’m the one who recored it since the only vantage point was from my desk. I was working in the bum F middle of nowhere at the time. I was warned by a number of people both in the school and community that the teacher would not end up in any legal trouble, would maintain his job, and I would not only lose my job but also likely never be hired in another school in the county if I did (take it to the police). Everyone agreed it was disgusting, but I had no ability to do anything in the situation. Now that I’m neither at that school nor that county, I might consider taking it to the police, but I’m not sure what the statute of limitations is on it. Just so we understand how fucked up this country is with regards to protection of minors, the principal told me that students often slept over at the above mentioned teacher’s house, but that he had been told that they couldn’t sleep in the same bed with him ANYMORE.

5 Likes

Well, if that’s true, that’s fucked up indeed.

But I don’t consider that representative of Taiwan though, not at all, not from what I have seen, heard, and lived here.

2 Likes

Maybe you’re just blind to it. That’s perfectly good testimony right there and you’re still saying that because you haven’t seen it it doesn’t exist. That’s called solipsism.

2 Likes

rape, like any other crime or corruption will be always found in any society. is a case something that defines a society as corrupt, criminal or rapist?

I’m just answering the original question: compared to the rest of the world, taiwan is super safe for both men and women. if you want to compare it to a non existing country where everyone is perfect and farts smell of roses, then yeah, this place is evil and women don’t go to clubs in packs because they all are super scared of being touched when not raped.

that one case is part of a post that describes a woman’s experience in Taiwan. I don’t know what you want me to show you…

bad choice of words in this context.

a woman’s opinion or perception is what it is. an opinion, a perception.

you can look at statistics and reports and use this planet as context.

1 Like

it does exist and it is representative are different.

1 Like

exactly.