Safety for women in Taiwan

A woman will submit to her man if he exudes either of tyranny or excellence. The former is pitiful, the latter sublime.

Itā€™s that few people have the concept of respect for the personal space of others. In Taiwan, touching anyone from the shoulder down to right below the knee without explicit permission can be considered sexual assault. That law was written to protect people from being grabbed (or smacked) in what are pretty globally understood to be ā€œprivate partsā€. If you and your friend have decided that itā€™s OK to smack each otherā€™s butts, Iā€™m not going to say anything to you unless you try to smack my butt, at which point I will smack your hand away and tell you to respect my boundaries.

Consent is not ā€œculturalā€. Itā€™s something that the world of men seems to think is some stupid fallout from the MeToo movement. In reality, why the heck should anyone be allowed to touch another anotherā€™s body without their consent? Only exception should be when the personā€™s life is clearly in danger, ie. Theyā€™re lying on the floor unconscious and someone needs to check for a pulse/breathing/start CPR. By saying itā€™s ā€œculturalā€, you give perpetrators an excuse to be disgusting and gaslight victims into thinking thereā€™s nothing wrong with a very wrong situation.

1 Like

Reading your second paragraph makes me question again your opinion and observations on Taiwan and in general.

2 Likes

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Might not be welcomed in a context where people slap each other as a form of endearment, as in the case I described.

The view is an outlier by world standards. In some places, hugging or kissing is a form of greeting. In the USA, whose governing class is now famously touch-averse, it could be grounds for assault. Now consider age of consent, which is 15 years old in many places, while in others, it is 18 years old. Clearly the questions of consent and propriety are culture-bound.

5 Likes

it is nothing in my culture, and I had thought it was the same in the west. I donā€™t do it and understand some people maybe donā€™t like it, but I didnā€™t know that it is an sexual assault in the US.

1 Like

The world of men? What a stupid statement.

6 Likes

Spoken like a true man :roll:

5 Likes

At some point, please accept the reality that some ā€œcultureā€ actually is wrong.

Even in my parentsā€™ generation, it was not only accepted, but expected that you will beat your children. Here in Taiwan, like the US and much of Europe, thatā€™s no longer legal. Itā€™s certainly better enforced in the US than in Taiwan, where teachers are perfectly aware of where the bruises and broken bones on some of their students come from, but itā€™s still not legal. Why? Because, after millennia of believing that beating children is a good idea, the cultures changed.

As for hugging and kissing being the norm: How many adults have come forward these past few years with stories of being molested by family members and other ā€œtrusted adultsā€ as kids? Iā€™m talking about in the US. These are kids who quickly came to know that their grandpa, uncle, teacher, priest, grandma, aunt, etc. touched them inappropriately, but everyone else in the family demanded that they give that person a hug and a kiss whenever they saw them. How many little kids do you see who donā€™t want to ā€œkiss kissā€ that are still forced to by their family and then yelled at for not complying? You require people to hug and kiss others when they donā€™t want to and you teach them that their body is not theirā€™s and they do not have a say in what happens to any part of it. The culture of ā€œhugging or kissing is a form of greetingā€ has already begun to change. I know Italians and Latin Americans who always ask before hugging someone. They didnā€™t used to, but they know that not everyone wants to be touched, even other people from Italy who grew up with hugs and kisses.

You start talking about things being ā€œculture-boundā€ and you go down a wormhole youā€™re never getting out of. Is it ā€œculturalā€ to pay your SEA caregivers slave wages and expect them to work 24/7? How about going on a shooting spree because youā€™re having a bad day? Where do you draw the line between ā€œaccepting and respecting cultureā€ and saying ā€œNo, your culture is actually wrongā€?

4 Likes

5 posts were split to a new topic: From safety

A post was split to a new topic: From safety

From my experience, I would say be cautious as you would be in any other country. There are awful people wherever you go in the world.

With that said, it is pretty safe to walk out on street. Most people are respectful of others. As a woman, for the most part I do not get harassed by men when I am out and about in public or in private.

I will say that there seems to be a special breed of older Taiwanese men who will try to prey on women. The worst Iā€™ve ever had it was when I saw an old man jacking off in public on his scooter and he made direct eye contact with me. Iā€™ve been propositioned to be a hostess or even worse a ā€œmodelā€ for a banquet. If you wear shorts or tanks, some men will openly leer at you. With them, you need to be pretty loud and firm that this not acceptable behavior.

2 Likes

You mean you saw him drop his pants and wack his schlong while looking at you?

He was already wacking his schlong when I walked by. This was not an alleyway. It was an open street next to a government building. Definitely something that I never want to see again.

1 Like

:face_vomiting:

1 Like

See Art. 80 to 85 of the Criminal Code.
https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=C0000001

If the incidents occurred long ago, see also Art. 8 to 8-2 of the Enforcement Law of the Criminal Code.
https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=C0000002

See also Art. 125 to 147 of the Civil Code.
https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=B0000001

In some jurisdictions thereā€™s a rule that sexual crimes remain prosecutable for longer. I donā€™t think that exists here.

You wouldnā€™t want to take this on by yourself, so contact an organization that knows how to deal with it. @Icon might know of one.

5 Likes

Iā€™m a foreign women whoā€™s lived here for going on seven years. My personal experience regarding safety of all sorts is very positive. I can enjoy walks alone at night without feeling at all in danger, which says a lot. Obviously Iā€™m not going to go explore dark, dingy, twisty alleys, but main streets and side streets? Theyā€™re fine. Thatā€™s not something women in my home country are able to do.

Iā€™ve never been sexually harassed here, either, unlike in my home country.
Essentially, I live in la la land.
Except for traffic. Watch out for traffic. Donā€™t cross the street with your music in.
A few commenters in here are mentioning nightclubs and KTVs and places like that. Never been to one. Canā€™t speak for them. (Yes, Iā€™m the rare foreigner whoā€™s managed to avoid KTV all this time.)

9 Likes

Iā€™m a man, but I still know what you mean.

God no! Deaf people must really have a hard time.

2 Likes

I get that itā€™s a major concern to walk alone in the streets for women. Lots of creeps and men are just more physically strong in general.

But I also get concerned as a man. Most random violence on the streets in most countries Iā€™ve seen are male on male. Iā€™m always hyper aware of my surroundings, especially if I donā€™t know the area well. But not in Taiwan. Even traffic Iā€™m not too bothered with. I just kind of understand the flow of traffic.

Just 2 night ago, some guy got murdered from a stabbing 10min walk from me here in the U.K. and this is considered a safe town.

2 Likes

Iā€™m a man, and Iā€™ve been sexually harassed here. Crazy, mentally handicapped guy came up and asked to feel my chest and proceeded to do so. Wife was right beside me. We get a good chuckle out of it sometimes.

2 Likes