Same Sex Marriage

I think all that says is if Taiwan works towards having reasonable traffic laws, land development regulations, city planning, and enforce them, Taiwan’s roads can be as clean and safe as the MRT.

3 Likes

Well same-sex marriage is like 70% about the face anyway. Why do you think Germany and Australia suddenly decided to legalise it immediately after Taiwan’s court ruling in 2017? They weren’t in any rush at all. Australia and Germany have always been progressive and their civil union provided equal protection. The answer to that is simple: being behind an Asian country made them lose face.

We all did it for the face, and now everyone’s happy. I can even see Switzerland making a move this year because they don’t want to lose face.

Thing is, it’s really hard to drive anything in Taiwan without breaking traffic laws. For example, why do people park on the side of the street on a red line or in a bus zone? Because that’s the only place to park your car! There are basically no parking space anywhere in Taipei or most other Taiwanese city for that matter.

Same goes with many other traffic laws. They were made with Western culture in mind, not Taiwanese culture, so people break them and the people who enforces the rules know they don’t work, so they enforce them half heartedly too.

There’s more than one kind of progress. You can have technological progress without (much) social progress or vice versa. Even in the social sphere, you can step forward with one foot while stepping back with the other, or you can step sideways and have some people say it’s progress while others call it failure.

Except that they wouldn’t, because they rank BBB and BB respectively, whereas Europe has seven BBB countries and one A country, the Netherlands.

Also Argentina, and court decisions pending in Chile, Ecuador, Paraguay, Peru, and Venezuela; and in Central-ish America it’s legal in Mexico and pending in El Salvador, Honduras, and Panama, and supposedly coming next year to… Costa Rica! :eek:

Also also, UK/US/French/Dutch territories in the region.

Source?

I’ll say it again: some US states have no minimum age.

And back to the start of this post, some people would call that progressive, while others would say the opposite.

it’s not me who posted the incorrect info.

Congratulations to any member who will be tying the knot after this.

1 Like

Not really in Central America. There is a ruling from the International Human Rights Commission that they should not oppose it and must enact laws towards legalizing same-sex sex marriage. That has not gone well.

Costa Rica was mulling last year pulling out of the IHR chart.

I seen plenty of Central Americans asking asylum from the US because they are gay and were raped by police officers in their country. I don’t know if it’s really true or they are just looking for an excuse to get asylum.

Surely police officers raping other men would not distinguish if the other males were gay or not?

Sounds like Tom of Finland

You’ll be surprised how many men become “gay” when they want asylum and they come from a country not known for their human rights or tolerance…

1 Like

Battered women are also given asylum in Canada. Human rights, mercy and all that jazz.

Being gay in our countries severely limits people’s work options. Most educated ones keep it under wraps at all costs or their careers will end. Uneducated ones, well, it is selling their bodies or taking the long walk up North. Same with transsexual community members.

What I don’t get is why seek asylum to the US? They take in hardly any asylum seekers and almost all are detained for years and deported. Plus the states aren’t known for their tolerance because too many legalist and religious nut jobs there. They are better off seeking asylum to a European country where they take in far more asylum seekers.

Logistics, it’s easier to travel across land than water

There are other countries that are more likely to give them asylum than the US. Even Canada is far more open than the US.

It’s my understanding especially in Europe that if you are claiming asylum on the grounds of persecution, you are supposed to do it In the first “safe country” you come to. Otherwise it can go against your application and you can be classed as an economic migrant.

2 Likes

Well there used to be quotas of refugees from Central American countries. They still had a chance.

Europe is taking people in due to humanitarian and war concerns. US is not taking the civil wars in Central America anymore as excuse.

Problem is the US turns down almost every applicant unless it’s a very compelling reason. The “safe country” rule only works if that country actually grants asylum. Though they can say Mexico is a safe country… (and they’re far more open to granting asylum than the US is)

The reality is a lot of these people are economic migrants as is the problem in Europe, just trying what ever means are at their disposal to get a foot in the door. This spoils it for the genuine cases who genuinely need help.

It is indeed, especially when it comes for gay rights. But then again, consider that the only other countries in Asia known for being gay-friendly are Israel, Thailand, and Nepal. Not exactly bastions of liberalism.

1 Like