Scooter Accident

Exactly

I was talking about an accident of our Taiwanese relatives.

Oh. Didn’t realize you were having your own little conversation.

It was an example about the 100% at fault issue with Taiwanese characteristics

1 Like

From the looks of this they “suspect” you didn’t pay attention the vehicle in front of you. However… they haven’t made a judgement on it and that could only be done by the court.

Mediation will just be a quicker way and you may “settle” for say 80/20 if you’re ok with it or just go 100/0 and see what the other rider says and maybe bluff him. - Causing injury while driving is a criminal offence in Taiwan if you lose in court…

if i recall correctly i crashed into the back half of his scooter
but he was quite far left from my position (about one and a half to two scooter width) still tho i brake and did not steer to the left cause i lock up my rear wheel and was afraid of collision with another scooter/car which will be more devastating

for anyone asking why i drive on the slow/bike lane cause I don’t want to be behind him for a surprise brake check

See and this is what gets discussed in court or even mediation.

You mention it all and make it clear you are going for 100% (most people -especially foreigners- don’t know to do this.) My friend is an insurance broker and she does this all the time…

1 Like

sorry,
100% his fault?

how about the speed we’re traveling
I’m pretty sure i did 50-something kmh he also did those kinds of speeds before turning

Depends on the reasons for the delayed braking or braking intensity and a range of other factors. You need to get the traffic camera footage and everything to make the report complete.

1 Like

He was turning. It is mostly his fault.
But they will argue, you could have paid more attention and slow down.

1 Like

Bingo

Yes. You need to insist it is 100% his fault, but go in with the expectation that you may need to settle for 80-20 (80% his fault). Of course don’t tell them that.

theres no traffic cam footage only his scooter cam and he did not want to give me that footage

edit: i cant post new reply im a new user

when i asked the police how to proceed he said he can’t help me out to state who is in wrong and told me to discuss it with the person I crashed into and i did ask for the footage from the police he did not want to give it to me cause its “property of that person”

It’s ok. The police report already stated what happened, so that means both of you told the police the same story. The police report also already places the other scooter at the very left edge of the scooter lane, where he should not have been turning from. He should have turned from the very right edge.

Then go to police and ask them to secure the evidence for potential legal case. Police should have done it already, if they did their job. In case the footage ‘disappears magically’, you can use this to your advantage.

1 Like

This will be your main argument.

Of course, they will try to say you could have slowed down to avoid a collision, which may be true. You just need to insist that he was going very fast, and that you were already braking but still hit him.

And then maybe you can settle for 20% fault or something.

1 Like

You only need to provide the police report reference number.

If you only have the bare minimum mandated insurance coverage your insurance company will not do that.

The minimum mandated insurance actually pays for very little.

Taiwan bizzarro factoid → If the other party does not report the accident to their insurance company, their insurance company will do absolutely nothing! You (or you insurance company if you have proper insurance) will end up having to chase the other driver through the courts! Completely wack but yet another reason to have proper insurance.

Yes. Unless you have proper insurance yourself.

That’s how I found out! Luckily the other party played ball, I made considerable increases to my insurance coverage after being informed of what the min. coverage did/did not cover.

Not with minimum coverage.

Absolutely. Find out where your insurance company has their office, go there. Many will have onsite lawyers in their larger offices and you may get lucky and have a sympathetic one advise you, particularly if you indicate you want to increase cover as a result of the accident or if you (hint) don’t speak Chinese the lobby staff may find someone who does, typically a lawyer in their office.

Buy your own, sufficient, insurance that covers you.

When did the accident happen? It typically takes a month to get a final decision on accident “ownership”. Once this is settled the insurance company will be in contact. If it’s been a lot more than a month then he’s likely talking BS, less than a month and it could be true.

Stop. Go talk to your insurance company first.

Contact them!

That sounds incredibly low given the amount of damage to the scooters listed. Note that if you pay this you may be taking liability for all future medical expenses, inclusing those that could have already been incurred but you don’t know about yet. See that list that Slawa posted above? You could be paying all of those including taxi fees and time off work.

2 Likes

There are many cases where the initial damage was low, an agreement was reached and then surprise! A huge bill follows up.
Better to protect yourself.

2 Likes

What information are you trying to convey?