Sexpats

I always heard a sexpat was someone from a first world country who travelled to a poorer Asian (although it could be African, South American, Eastern European, etc) country in order to have sex with prostitutes, troll brothels, go to a sex show, etc. You’re not a “sexpat” if you’re some foreign dude who has a one-night stand with a local woman (or man) you met at a club or bar. What self-loathing misfit is making that odious argument? :thinking:

hqdefault

2 Likes

Cough…snoopy…cough!

1 Like

Say it isn’t so, @Hanna. I was sure that’d be a “Gain” argument.

To be fair, she defined sexpats as people who move to foreign countries specifically because they think they can get more action there.

1 Like

I just read through 245 posts and I feel slightly dumber and can never get the time back

5 Likes

and that’s why taiwanease is so successful. low output, less wasted time of viewer’s life

I think people should be defined by actions, not intent. What’s the real difference between someone who comes to Taiwan because they’re interested in Chinese culture and they incidentally happen to hook up with a local here, and someone who can’t get laid at home and comes here and finally gets lucky? If there’s no financial transactions or manipulation/exploitation involved, it’s not fair to label someone a “sexpat.”

2 Likes

I don’t agree with her position, but to her credit, she held her own pretty well against the mostly male, mostly opposing posters in the thread.

1 Like

hanna149 was clear that that is the definition of a sex tourist. A sexpat is someone who can’t get sex in their home country, so goes to another country where the percentage strike rate is higher.

I don’t think this really applies to Taiwan, but I could be wrong. IME, which of course differs to that of others, only the best looking foreigners pull loads of people here. In, say, Thailand or Vietnam that isn’t necessarily the case. People in genuine poverty are more likely to go for the older person who could offer a way out of poverty.

1 Like

It’s my understanding that “sexpat” is just another name for a sex tourist (or possibly a sex tourist who lives in the country permanently and thus isn’t a tourist anymore). If someone comes here and has consensual sex with a local, and they’re not abusive towards that person, then it doesn’t matter who they were or how much sex they got back home.

I don’t want to add to the pile-on, but hanna is objectively wrong here.

1 Like

Your understanding is, in my opinion, outdated and/or misinformed, but as can be seen in the thread people have differing opinions of what constitutes a sexpat, and so it is by nature a subjective thing. My definition of a sexpat is based on knowing three of them, all currently in their mid-twenties. One of them actually explained some of his tactics to me. Anyway:

The current iteration of the sexpat is the type of dude who realizes he can’t really get laid back home, ex: an awkward white guy or an ABC who has trouble dating in western society because he’s Asian, and so he comes here looking to pump and dump some locals. He uses the language barrier to his advantage to muddy waters or generally keep them from getting very close to him, and goes for easy targets, like willing girls, or naive girls who will buy his lies. They aren’t really looking for a relationship, although will say whatever a girl wants to hear to get her to open her legs. They are just looking to plow through as many chicks as possible, and if they succeed, they tend to develop a huge ego about it, as if contracting the same STD three times over is somehow very cool.

I look down on sexpats of any race because they’re basically losers. They couldn’t hang in their home country so they came here to play on easy mode. I also put some blame on their enablers, i.e. the dum dum chicks who hop into bed with them. But I do feel sorry for the girls who go in without experience, are genuinely misled by them, and get burned in the end.

Just because someone comes here and hooks up with a local, it doesn’t make them a sexpat. It’s the combined qualities of 1) no real game, 2) going somewhere where it doesn’t matter as much if you don’t have game and womanizing gratuitously, and finally 3) getting a big fat head about it.

I would also argue that these guys are pretty abusive to women. They just use them and don’t see them as human beings. If that’s not abuse, I don’t know what is.

1 Like

They all told you they came to Taiwan expressly for the purpose of “pumping and dumping” local girls? I find this a little hard to believe.

3 Likes

But, is there a term for someone who gets cassanova action in his home country and strikes out nonstop in Taiwan. If there is that’s me.

1 Like

One of them is very tenuously my friend, and came here about four years ago. He told mutual friends that he came here to play, and the getting has been good all these years so he’s showing no signs of slowing down. But I also think he’s a particularly psychopathic case, honestly. For most guys it’s just kind of a bonus thing, a hobby of sorts that they develop.

Your definition of a sexpat evolves over the paragraph. You start off by saying it’s someone with no real game (or more simply, can’t get laid back home). Then you add extra conditions such as targeting easy marks, lying and manipulating, keeping score, even spreading STDs. I would agree that all those things are awful, except the first point you started with. If someone is lonely and loveless back home and then they find someone here they should be congratulated, not condemned. Does your thinking change if that same loveless loser back home finds someone here and begins a relationship? Are they still a “sexpat”? Speaking of “muddy waters”, you add on so many conditions, I’m not sure where unlucky virgin ends and manipulative sexpat begins.

So the women never mislead and “burn” the men? You’re kind of robbing them of their agency by making that point.

Okay, so if they have “game” they’re safe from being an sexpat. They have to first have no game back home and be either condemned to a lifetime of loneliness or an evil white privilege abusing sexpat lol.

4 Likes

Hmm… You got me on this one.

Right, in other words not sexpats. Just douchebags abroad.

1 Like

No, no, no. According to the hanna handbook they can only be evil sexpats if they’re first icky loser virgins. Guys who sleep with tons of women back home can come in droves, that’s fine.

2 Likes

They’re not finding love.

I’m sure it’s happened, but I don’t think it matters to these guys in the long run since they just replace her real quick.

Obviously it’s not like they’re excused if they have game back home. I don’t like any womanizer. The main difference here is I laugh at sexpats, and find them pathetic. I just run the hell away from players.

At no point did I even mention white privilege.